tests ?

Test custom signatures et cetera here, learn how to use the forums.
Scythe
Recruit

tests ?

Post by Scythe » 2011-10-27 20:50

[box=600,#05091e,#6595e6,#f1f8e4][img]imglinkhere[/img] [indent]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.[/indent] [img]imglinkhere[/img][/box]

hmm... table functions instead of box functions?

Blargh. Bloody hell

no mouseover text boxes ?_?

frame compatibility?
[frame=#000000]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.[/frame]

Brutto figlio di puttana bastardo ! Ne'!

line test?

se' magnifique

bleh.

*shuffles off to the next one on rpgdirectory *_*.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

Re: tests ?

Post by Kane » 2011-10-29 04:21

It's not that we couldn't add those functions if we wanted to. I don't see any particular need for customization beyond the written word but I can be somewhat old fashioned. Anyone who disagrees may request specifics.

Kallila Tsarati
Traitor
Traitor
Custom Title: Returned
Organizational Unit: Free

Post by Kallila Tsarati » 2011-10-30 17:53

I don't think they're coming back, but I'm generally inclined to agree with you. I'm not even sure what this person was trying to code there, but mouse over boxes? How can that help fiction? Seems a tad gimmicky...

Does that make me old fashioned too?

Jericho Winters
Sergeant
Sergeant
Organizational Unit: 4th fleet , 4th army

Post by Jericho Winters » 2011-12-09 23:36

-_-' is it wrong to see this and know what this guy/gal/ was trying to do?

Alright, I'll chime in even though I don't want to:

Blargh. Bloody hell
no mouseover text boxes ?_?
A mouseover text box is actually a text over or hidden type of function. Generally used in higher end coded fantasy rp's such as Aelyria. It's really a hidden text box function

Normally in other words it creates a false page designated as a "#" hatch mark normally at the top of the call sign. Such as http://www.nifrpg.net/rpgforum/#

Click the hatchmark above ^

Code: Select all

False page designation in site framework would be:
http://www.nifrpg.net/rpgforum/#
The ghost page is just superlative though. It's more like how you see captions on a video, you see them 'pop up' on the screen. A real bitch to code .css wise. But it gets rid of the giant breaks of

Ooc/Massive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawn/ooc

that you'll find in peoples threads.

And denotes the reason not to use the long bar spoiler function where it would be
Massive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawnMassive text spawn
For example:

If you saw a page with just the words:

OOC NOTE:

You would be able to hover your mouse over it so the text would pop up in smaller box.
===================
|Massive text spawn|
|Massive text spawn|
|Massive text spawn|
|Massive text spawn|
|Massive text spawn|
|Massive text spawn|
|Massive text spawn|
|Massive text spawn|
=====================
Frankly if you were able to note where the textover function was in written word you could have a paragraph with a hidden ooc note.

This is Mike. Mike plays Soccer. Mike kicks the ball really hard. Mike scored a goal.

Now if you were to place your mouse over the word soccer there the box might pop up to show you :
Textover box here:
===============================
|
| |
|========================|

Erh use your imagination but the image would be inside the popup textover function *_*.

As for the other stuff. ... I think I might know what it means but i'd have to figure out some table codes to get you to visually see it.

Frames and boxes are basically custom color table settings with the auto indent feature for text alignment.
I'm guessing here; but
Scythe wrote: [box=600,#05091e,#6595e6,#f1f8e4][
Would be a single cell custom table or 'frame' that's six hundred pixels wide, then has a background color? A Border color, and a text color? I'm not sure which thing here is which though , so screw any other guesses on that.

Basically think like a picture frame >.> is the best analogy I can give.

Now with that table he/she/it/dog/cat/bird/planei'mamotha'fin'birdplane was probably going for something like:

[pre]
[table]
[tr]
	[th][img]http://www.mindtraining.net/images/soccer_ball_small.jpg[/img[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
	[td]Bulk post text here in a colored background with text color of some sort[/td]
[tr]
	[td][img]http://www.mindtraining.net/images/soccer_ball_small.jpg[/img[/td]
[/tr]
[/table][/pre]
people on fantasy sites tend to make these types of tables ^ to free up their signatures for important links to their character sheets, etc. Many of those types of tables are precoded. They're used mainly for setup, though a table function with actual colored backgrounds and borders and colored texts are handy to make people's timesheets so they can catalogue their damn thread lists in a neat an orderly fashion.

Heck there are some sights out there with wiki table functions linked into their bbcode where the "|" would signify a cell division of a table (read aelyria there again) God I hate that place -_-'.

as for the :
Scythe wrote:[indent]Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.[/indent]
the [indent][/indent] function is very easy to understand it's literally indenting from both sides of the post a set 'tab' inwards, just like you'd find on a word function.

It means instead of
Oh look at me massive text spawn
massive text spawn
massive text spawnmassive text spawnmassive text spawn
massive text spawnmassive text spawnmassive
Looking like a jumbled mess it would be left aligned one "Tab" over from the normal posting lines.
         Oh look at me massive text spawn
         massive text spawn
         massive text spawnmassive text spawnmassive text spawn
         massive text spawnmassive text spawnmassive
Alright, that's not the best either in alignment but I hope you'd get the picture *_*.

Alright, said my peace. Take this for what you will. *goes back into obscurity and won't reply to anything else in this thread.*
"I have found there are very few problems in this lifetime which can't be
solved with the proper applications of high explosives." - Burn Notice

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-12-13 13:33

I'm familiar with mouseovers, indents, and tables. What I'd like to know is what use we have of those?

Oh, and Jer... obscurity is your own choice. Good to see you for once though.

TyrAnazazi
Mercenary
Custom Title: Tenno
Organizational Unit: Phoenix Emire-Operation Castor

Post by TyrAnazazi » 2011-12-13 20:11

Ace,

None that I can think of...Most of us don't use such operations. If I am wrong, somebody correct me.

Hey Jer! Nice to see you are alive!
"Fukaba fuke shana wa sunda zo ki no kaze" -Death Poem, Haiku - "Blow if you will, Fall wind...the flowers, have all faded"

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Custom Title: Fleet Commander, Self-Proclaimed Bartender, Baron
Organizational Unit: Third Fleet, Task Force Conquest, ESD Intimidator

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-12-14 03:02

So... Maybe this is slightly off-topic, but would there be a way to display an image in a post with click specific spots that could take someone to another spot in the same post?

For example, say I took a map of our galaxy and could somehow post a section of it and allow people reading the post to click on a given world in the map and it would take them to a relevant section in the post that might, say, have a description of the world?

EDIT - Oh, and I took this opportunity to test something. The astute among you may notice and those of you who wish to cheat will probably pick out what I did ;)
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-12-14 13:15

An image map in bbcode? That's downright complicated. Even to the point that people say it can't be done; you have to slice up your image in separate parts instead. But I will look into it.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-12-14 15:37

If it's too complicated/can't be done, that's okay. I was more wondering than anything but I'm not interested in creating a whole ton of extra work just for a feature that might be seldom used beyond this one instance I have in mind.

If I did go the slicing-up-the-image route, would the idea of linking the different parts of the image to different parts of a post still be possible then? Or would I be limited to linking it to different posts in a thread sort of like this?
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-12-15 14:39

Linking to different parts of a post is a separate problem which requires you to set anchor tags.

That's something we can do, and I just added the function. You can find it listed in the post code tags.

Combining images with anchors is possible, too.

Linking to different parts of a post is a separate problem which requires you to set [goto=function]anchor[/goto] tags.

That's something we can do, and I just added the [anchor=function]function.[/anchor] You can find it listed in the post code tags.

Combining images with anchors is possible, too.

[goto=function][img]http://www.nifrpg.net/sigs/ace/acesigtc10.png[/img][/goto]
I can say already now that combining an image map with link anchors is rather complex, and which would require parsing of a [possibly externally hosted] command file with code and co-ordinates. Like I said, I will look into it but it'll have to wait until I get back from China.

It's slightly easier if we allowed HTML coding directly, but that's a potential security problem. You will also run into another problem with image slicing, which is positioning. To get that right we'll probably need to implement tables.

Oh, and one other thing. I have considered mousover code years earlier, mainly for OOC tag uses. But some browsers cuts off long mousovers by default which means it would potentially not display the whole message.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-12-15 15:20

O.O - Woah.... </voice=Neo after seeing Morpheus leap across building in single bound>

Colour me impressed!!! Heck, even without the image mapping, the anchor tags alone are pure awesomeness!!! I can already find use for these!

THANKS ACE!!! Have a good time in China too!!! And Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!! :D

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2011-12-16 02:02

I think the only browser that cut off long mouseovers were some Firefox 3 alpha builds and earlier; every modern browser is able to properly render tooltips. If we were to use them, I don't think anyone here would have an issue (unless they're running a vastly out-of-date browser, in which case that system has bigger issues).

As for the image maps, do we really need those? For what Fini was asking, we could just use anchor tags for image titles and do it that way.
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-12-17 15:52

Alright, I've added out-of-character tags... black and shiny. They can be implemented in various ways, so this is just one option. Let me know if you want something else and specifically what.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-12-17 16:21

WOW! This is even cooler than the strikethrough stuff!

So now I can be doubly annoying instead of saying talking about things I shouldn't be I can instead all but totally blank out things!!!

Or even better, it could work as a censor and give the Commissariat another tool in their fight against the rest of us!

Needless to say, this is pretty nifty stuff!Yes, I'm easily impressed and amused... But I like to think that's a good thing!!!

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-12-17 16:28

Hmm, right... and by the way, here's a tip.
  • No special function is needed to get indented text.
  • If you want indented text, just use a list.
    • It works nested too.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-12-17 16:32

Kane wrote:Hmm, right... and by the way, here's a tip.
  • No special function is needed to get indented text.
  • If you want indented text, just use a list.
    • It works nested too.
So I wonder...
  • Could it also work if I used...
    • listtag-text-listtag-text-closelisttagsx2?
      • Yes... YES IT DOES!!!
Ohh... so it doesn't become a "list" list without the [*]
  • Like so... OHHHHHHHHHHH!!! But then the instant I put a
  • in a list... riiight... that makes sense
I did notice something though... And this might be more because of the theme and beyond the ability to control, but when I viewed your post with the list-indents as a guest (ie, not signed in), all the lines had no spaces between them... Signed in with the CA Orbital theme (which I use for all accounts), now all the lines in the lists have spaces beneath beneath them.

Of course, the way I set up my first set of indents, I simply nested lists within lists within lists versus closing off each list line so if we need double or triple indents but don't want the spaces, that'd be the way to go... Wow, I'm learning stuff!!! On a weekend!!! At work no less!!! (quiet day at the construction site of the world's first commercial scale carbon capture project... :P)

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-12-17 17:46

OOC+
Would you perhaps prefer this kind of occ tag?
That problem is definitely outdated-theme related. Anyway, I've investigated various mouseover options but SPAN codes just don't seem to work properly. For now, it's blackout.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-12-17 17:55

Maybe we should poll the board, see what they think and what their opinion is?

I like both though I have to say, the quote/spoiler combination OOC hidden tag is also pretty nifty looking, especially since it makes it look a lot tidier.
Testing+
Comparing this to...
Testing wrote:This, I think you can see what I mean. Granted, there are times when maybe a nice quote box around the text makes things look nicer, but depending on the style, the quote box will have the " marks in one of the upper corners, maybe ruining the effect. Plus, the button to open this up will always read "spoiler" or "show" which can also hurt the presentation effect... Not to mention, in order to put a title effect, I'd have to type in in above but the hidden tag takes care of the whole topic/title effect for me.
Okay, so maybe I'm getting too much into the aesthetics and details (which, in the grand scheme of things, are incredibly minor) but hey, that's what engineers do ;)

But yeah, I have to say the hidden tags are really nice because they'd have the potential to tidy things up very nicely and not give a big obtrusive button to press.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2012-01-20 20:19

Blackout mouseover ooc code. I'm still not satisfied with this solution.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2012-01-20 20:38

Kane wrote:Blackout mouseover ooc code. I'm still not satisfied with this solution.
Hard to see on some skins, too (I use CA Orbital, and it's nearly invisible to the eye; if I didn't already know something was there, I'd be very confused).
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”