IDSE-RB-50 Sledgehammer

This is the file for all projects in R&D that have completed the process and been approved for full production.

Moderator: IDOMIR

Luciana Endivain
Contractor
Custom Title: NIF Supporter and Entrepreneur
Organizational Unit: Silver Infinity Network

IDSE-RB-50 Sledgehammer

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-04-20 03:17

Designation:
IDSE-RB-50 Sledgehammer - IDS Blast Cannon

Purpose:
To create a blast cannon that features the trademarked dual XCiter design of other Intragalactic Defense Systems guns. Also, this blast cannon will utilize a unique barrel mechanism enabling the gun to adjust the degree of spread.

Application:
Blast cannons aren't terribly different from blasters. They operate in much the same fashion except an extra step in the firing process splits the bolts into multiple shots that leave the barrel at (near) the same time. This gun once again features the parallel XCiter design, giving it a much faster rate of fire than what is typically found on blast cannons. This can be particularly useful against numerous foes and rapid room clearing.

To further enhance the design of this gun and overcome the weakness of most blast cannons, a modular barrel adjustment system allows the sledgehammer to switch between seven bolts being fired in a blast cannon fashion or a single, larger bolt that essentially combines all seven shots into one supercharged shot that fires through the larger bore in the barrel. It's a modified concept of the Bryar pistol except here, the charged shot isn't directed through the splitter and through the smaller bores in the barrel but rather through a secondary charging sequence to further enhance the power.

Schedule:
5 weeks design
4 weeks prototype fabrication
5+ weeks testing

Visual Description:

Technical Specifications:
Name/Type: RB-50 Sledgehammer
Designer/Manufacturer: Luciana Endivain / Intragalactic Defense Systems
Designation: Blast cannon
Size: 48.5 cm
Mass: 3.6 kg (loaded)
Effective Range: 30m (100m single shot)
Fire Modes: Semi-automatic - Blast cluster mode and supercharged setting.
Damage Rating: 60 total per blast cluster and 80 on supercharged setting
Magazine: 32 (blast clusters)
Ammunition: Blaster Powercell
Standard Price: 4,500 Cr

In a radical departure from most blast cannons, the Sledgehammer was designed with compactness in mind. Despite it's short size, the bullpup configuration allows the blast cannon to maintain a longer barrel length than any sawed-off slug-gun (shotgun).

The top rail can be fitted with scopes, visual aids or tactical lights as desired.

Each pull of the trigger releases 7 bolts or one really powerful bolt.

Weaknesses:
  • Limited to point-blank to medium range only.
  • Relatively small magazine.
  • The supercharged bolt has a slower rate of fire than the blast cannon mode equal to roughly half the fire rate.
Proposed Upgrades:
  • Enable the blast cannon to fire more shots per blast cluster.
EDIT 1 - Clarified magazine size. Also added single shot effective range.
EDIT 2 - Clarified blast clusters and DR.
EDIT 3 - Minor clerical changes.
Last edited by Luciana Endivain on 2012-04-25 00:43, edited 3 times in total.
"Freedom, at any cost, is worth it so long as it's the New Republic that pays the price!" - Luciana

TyrAnazazi
Mercenary
Custom Title: Tenno
Organizational Unit: Phoenix Emire-Operation Castor

Re: IDSE-RB-50 Sledgehammer

Post by TyrAnazazi » 2012-04-21 03:31

Hey Fini! I am having computer troubles with my desktop. So, sorry if this typing is worse than per my usual...

Conceptually, I like this idea and think that it is very relevant. I will refer to the larger bore as the primary, smaller as secondary. Moving on to the design itself:

In standard operation this works very similarly to the standard blast-cannon, forming a single bolt that is split. Looking at the picture, it appears to have several smaller bore barrels placed in a circular pattern centered on a larger one. Is that the general concept? The bolt is split and directed through the smaller bores, correct? I am confused whether the central bore is used at all during the primary firing mode. After looking at the upgrade proposition, using that central bore could be a way to achieve the desired result.

In the secondary operation, it is stated that it fires a single high-powered bolt. This is the touch I really like! Finally, a SW 'shotgun' that starts to resemble a real one... Anyway, I am wondering what you had in mind for the range with this mode. The decrease in ROF is a reasonable trade-off, in my mind. If I may make a possible suggestion for an upgrade: explosive blaster bolt. The technology is already in existence and would only need to be integrated.

Purpose: Well written, feasible, concise and checked-off!

Application: This is well written, clear and technically sound. Checked-off!

Schedule: This seems reasonable given the prior projects that have been undertaken by IDS.

Picture: NICE! :D

Technical Specs:
Name: Cool!
Designer/Manufacturer: Approved
Designation: Approved
Size: Approved
Mass: Acceptable, Approved
E.R: Approved *(Single-bolt could be increased, possibly, 100 m)
D.R: Approved
Magazine: Acceptable, *(Would recommend something divisible by 7, 28-35)
Ammunition: Approved
SRP (Suggested Retail Price): Approved
"Fukaba fuke shana wa sunda zo ki no kaze" -Death Poem, Haiku - "Blow if you will, Fall wind...the flowers, have all faded"

Luciana Endivain
Contractor

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-04-21 03:42

Tyr wrote:E.R: Approved *(Single-bolt could be increased, possibly, 100 m)
You're right, I forgot about that. I sorta tacked on the supercharged bolt after thinking about the gun design some more. The first basis was to make the barrel modular to allow for a spread adjustment but then I thought an adjustable weapon would be more interesting and unique.

But yes, I will increase the single bolt range. Thanks for the catch! :D
Tyr wrote:Magazine: Acceptable, *(Would recommend something divisible by 7, 28-35)
Oops, I should have maybe clarified a bit there. I meant to say that the magazine was the number of trigger pulls one would get, not the total number of shots. Much like how we don't count the total number of pellets in a real world shotgun but rather the number of shells, the same idea applies here. What would be a good term to use to make this distinction?

Thanks for the feedback!
"Freedom, at any cost, is worth it so long as it's the New Republic that pays the price!" - Luciana

Tom Saint
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Organizational Unit: Moonrider, RDOP1

Post by Tom Saint » 2012-04-24 04:01

Luciana Endivain wrote:Oops, I should have maybe clarified a bit there. I meant to say that the magazine was the number of trigger pulls one would get, not the total number of shots. Much like how we don't count the total number of pellets in a real world shotgun but rather the number of shells, the same idea applies here. What would be a good term to use to make this distinction?
I would take it the 60 DR is the sum total of each blast also? Maybe call each trigger pull a blast cluster?
“If scientists were breaking old ground we’d all have Bubonic Plague” -Miller Lite radio commercial.
"God made the bulk; the surface was invented by the devil" -Wolfgang Pauli

Luciana Endivain
Contractor

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-04-25 00:40

Tom wrote:I would take it the 60 DR is the sum total of each blast also?
Correct. Of course, considering it's shooting 7 shots with a total of 60 DR... Rather than try to creep up to a round value of 70, I'll leave it as a crazy fraction (when looking at power per individual bolt I mean) ;) Besides, the rate at which this gun shoots should make up for that. <.< FULL AUTO SHOTGUN BLAST CANNON!
Tom wrote:Maybe call each trigger pull a blast cluster?
Works for me, thanks!

TyrAnazazi
Mercenary
Custom Title: Tenno
Organizational Unit: Phoenix Emire-Operation Castor

Post by TyrAnazazi » 2012-04-25 03:29

Great suggestion Saint!

Any other comments? I can't think of any...

APPROVED! if none
"Fukaba fuke shana wa sunda zo ki no kaze" -Death Poem, Haiku - "Blow if you will, Fall wind...the flowers, have all faded"