Mark I Stealth Knife

This is the file for all projects in R&D that have completed the process and been approved for full production.

Moderator: IDOMIR

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Mark I Stealth Knife

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2012-03-07 04:51

(OOC: Yes, this is inspired by Assassin's Creed, but has shades of the vibroblade knuckle plate.)

Designation: Mark I Stealth Knife ("Scorpion")

Purpose: Bladed weapons are often a common sight in the field of battle, owing to their utility and killing ability. Too often, though, the latter is compromised in favor of the former. In addition, standard blades are bulky and conspicuous, requiring obvious motions to draw and utilize in a close-quarters battle scenario, and offering the intended target the opportunity to defend and negate the attack. To combat this failing, the Mark I Stealth Knife was developed.

Application: The Mark I Stealth Knife (known to the men and women in the field as the "Scorpion") provides special forces and intelligence operatives with a rapidly deployable weapon for close-quarters combat situations where ranged weaponry is a disadvantage and drawing a normal blade is hampered.

Schedule: Two (2) weeks for design, one (1) week for prototyping, two (2) weeks for testing and refinement

Visual Description:

Technical Specifications:
The Mark I consists of a retractable blade attached to a gauntlet. The Tanto-style blade itself is silver in color, but can come in matte black for stealthy operation, and retracts into the gauntlet when not activated. The expulsion and retraction mechanism consists of a biosensor tuned to the action potential of the forearm muscle, with a kinetic assist as a backup. It also has a duralloy plate for protection of the weapon's mechanism against impact and for use against other blades.

The gauntlet itself, when used as a standalone piece of equipment, is made from a combination of spunplast, reflec, and shadowsilk, the exact proportions of which are classified. Variations on the standard gauntlet allows for interchangeability with the gauntlets of the CAMOLEON Mk.II armor system or other light-to-medium-classed stormtrooper armors; it cannot be equipped with heavy armor like that of the Hazard Trooper, Darktrooper (any model), Spacetrooper, or Shock Trooper.

On the bottom of the gauntlet (palm down) is the blade and expulsion/retraction mechanism with its duralloy plate, raised away from the arm to avoid catching the hand with the weapon's cutting edge. On the top of the gauntlet (palm down) is an area where a SmartChrono or small wrist-top computer can be mounted. Unfortunately, using the weapon to block could result in the attached device becoming damaged or nonfunctional. It is meant to be worn on the left hand, but a right-hand model can be constructed for the same price.

Weaknesses:
  • The primary weakness of this weapon is that it has a relatively short blade, extending only a few inches beyond the tips of the fingers. As such, it has a very short range of attack that requires the user to close on the target. It also provides no benefit against ranged assault.
  • A target could potentially recognize the gauntlet as a weapon if used without armor, and thus the wielder as a threat to his or her person. This can be countered by masquerading it as a brace of some sort (e.g. feigning of injury to the wrist), or by wearing clothing loose enough to hide the device.
  • The weapon restricts the mobility of the wrist on which it is worn. This could be detrimental in certain situations requiring full dexterity.
  • Use of this weapon may decrease armor protection on the forearm; this is an unfortunate side effect necessitated by the configuration of the apparatus.
  • This weapon requires significant dexterity and skill with blade weapons to use. For that reason, only those operators with proven ability and experience in the martial aspect should be allowed use of this weapon.
  • No vibration generator, so penetration of plastoid or metal armors is only possible with a skilled insertion, such as those aimed at a joint or soft spot.
Projected Upgrades:
  • Lightening of the duralloy bracer if a suitable material can be developed.
  • Better all-around forearm protection to lessen the lack of proper armor.
  • Better integration with armor systems.
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Custom Title: Fleet Commander, Self-Proclaimed Bartender, Baron
Organizational Unit: Third Fleet, Task Force Conquest, ESD Intimidator

Re: Mark I Stealth Knife

Post by Tavish McFini » 2012-03-08 01:56

Here's something I always wondered about... How do people not cut their hands or fingers when the blade is extended or, heaven forbid, eject the blade clean through because of, say, an accidental "misfire" while their hand was bent down at the wrist? :?

This seems like a weapon meant to be wielded with considerable skill... Knives can be either slashing or stabbing weapons. This blade seems like it would be limited purely to being a stabbing weapon and even then, combat with it would be more like regular hand-to-hand but instead of punching someone in the face, you'd aim for the neck. Point is, there'd be a slight shift in thinking, trying to remember you're not really wielding a knife in the strictest sense.

With respects to the lack of a vibro feature, considering that a powercell the size of a modern day dime can generally allow a vibroknife to operate continuously for days if not weeks, why is this blade not benefiting from the extra cutting/piercing power vibro technology offers? The small vibro generator wouldn't take up much extra room either. I'm just wondering is all.

As for something else to consider, why would an underarm dagger be more beneficial than an overhand claw (or dagger/blade/etc.)? Retractable forearm mounted weapons aren't exactly new, I'm just curious to know if there are any benefits to this set up over traditional ones?

Beyond that, I'm just trying to picture the illustrated example in your purpose outline. Bladed weapons come in all shapes and forms. Obviously, the motion of drawing a katana would be a lot more obvious (and time consuming) than someone discretely flicking a switchblade or drawing a small combat dagger. It's all about the right tool for the job and unfortunately it seems to me that a weapon like this would be fairly impractical for most soldiers.

Why?

Well, if they're going to be fighting against someone in melee, their opponent is probably going to have a nice dagger or knife (or even an E-tool) which allows for a lot more range of motions than this hidden dagger does. Maybe they won't, in which case, the person with this little weapon will have a slight edge but only so long as their CQC is up to snuff.

Thinking about commandos, this blade also doesn't seem very useful since, if they're good enough to get close enough to someone to slam this thing through a jugular, they're equally good enough to take a regular dagger and slit a throat or even use a garrotte cord or even just snap the persons neck with their hands. Point is, the element of surprise isn't necessarily dependent upon the weapon itself.

This weapon could pass through lax security measures but so too could other small blades so that advantage is quickly negated. Better security measures will easily detect the blade and will, in fact, detect it before a ceramic knife is detected. So concealment is really only helped by the fact it's being kept in a forearm. A dagger could be hidden in a long sleeve too, tied in place and at the discrete tug of a piece of string, the dagger will slip into the hand and now they're armed.

Here's where things become a real difference maker. The range of motions a dagger in the hand has over being affixed to a forearm is significantly more. In the hand, you have the wrist to rotate about as well as the elbow and shoulder while with something strapped to the forearm, you only get the elbow and shoulder. Dunno about you, but I'd rather keep that extra range of motion offered by the wrist.

I've no real issues with the project itself but I'm finding it hard to picture equipping the general army forces with this over a regular dagger that has it's own advantages:
  • Can be sheathed anywhere on a person, from the utility belt to the boot to a forearm enabling the user to draw it with comfortable ease and familiarity and thus with some degree of speed.
  • Greater range of motions. It could be held in your hand blade up or blade down, pointed forward, etc. etc.
  • Easily concealable.
  • Vibro function makes it good for cutting or slashing through materials normal knives cannot.
  • Cheap. Very very cheap.
  • Since there's no moving parts, there's less maintenance involved. Like almost zero beyond cleaning, a little checking on the powercell and vibro generator and sharpening.
  • Simple to use. There's no electronic components required to detect when the user wants to deploy the blade, ergo, less chance of failure at the worst possible moment. Maybe the vibro generator could break down, but then you'd just have a knife that isn't vibrating. It'd still be pretty darned sharp though!
  • Zero chance of something causing the blade to jam. Say a rock or dried up mud gets into the slot and jams the mechanism? At least with a knife, you pull it out and, generally it will still draw out (unless it somehow got coated in duracrete...)
  • On that note, sharpening a combat knife is a lot easier than this device since here the whole contraption would have to be taken apart to get at the blade for easy sharpening (be pretty hard to sharpen it properly when it's affixed to your forearm.)
  • Blade can usually be bigger and come with different serrations and even blade catchers for combat (I think that's what those notches are on the back side). The serrated part makes it good for cutting through things and cause more damage if you manage to stab it into someone and pull it out (They always say the most damage is caused when you pull an embedded object out of someone...).
  • Good for both stabbing and slashing.
  • Light weight (it's really a blade and a handle versus a whole gauntlet).
All that being said, sometimes practicality has to take a back seat in favor of cool ;) After all, Wolverine's claws aren't terribly practical when compared to the usefulness of guns yet he still seems to get by, invulnerable skeleton and regeneration aside :lol:
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2012-03-08 03:07

While you're right that it's not a general purpose blade, and in fact has significant weaknesses in comparison, keep in mind that it's not meant to be. Yes, it would require significant skill to wield, but that was noted in the proposal (see the "Weaknesses" section). It also is primarily a stabbing weapon due to the size and location on the wrist, but a particularly skilled user could inflict slashing damage if the weapon is used properly. I agree that this weapon would be impractical in most situations, but like all weapons, it's situational. It would be no good in a pure blade-to-blade fight; the speed advantage would be negated by the reach of a traditionally-armed opponent, especially one with an unwieldy E-tool, but inside that reach it could be devastating. It's not a weapon meant for open combat, though; it's a pure stealth weapon meant for use by intelligence agents/commandos and certain tier-one or better Army units (read: SPECWARCOM, the DeathKnights, etc.) who would have the skills needed to use the weapon to its fullest potential.

The lack of vibro was a weight-saving measure, since it's not only the blade that's there but also the duralloy plate, biosensor, gravity backup, and the gauntlet itself. Conceivably, a small generator could be added, but at the cost of something else, and I felt the protection was more important, especially given the type of operation I see this as being used in.

As for the benefits of an overhand versus an underhand, it's really the difference between a punching motion or a grappling one; the open hand allows for an easier stab, while the punch might deal more of a stunning effect.

Regarding the means of killing, choking a target, slicing their throats, and snapping their necks are both noisy (the second is also messy and the third surprisingly difficult), and not guaranteed kills. A quick stab or two with this weapon to the abdomen, neck, heart, orbital socket, or back of the head are all faster, and less detectable right away (no messy puddles on the floor, for example, but will cause massive blood pressure drops in the abdomen or scramble a brain pretty good). Small holes mean the blood stays in, and either the target bleeds out or drowns. Of course, a shot to the head would mean a meal only a zombie could love.

The blade could be made out of ceramic, I suppose, which would negate many security sweeps (maybe not millimeter-wave or a hard-object scanner, but certainly a metal detector or similar measures; the duralloy plate would help with that as well if properly disguised to look like a wrist brace, as it would deflect the detection waves). A dagger would also need to be readied, while the Scorpion is already available when the operator needs it.

As for the wrist motion, that's not something that can be fixed (unless you're Grievous and have spinning wrists), and will need to be compensated for by the operator.

Above all though, I'll restate: this is not a weapon meant for general army use. It's a weapon designed for wetwork and assassination, and will likely be used as such.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2012-03-08 03:44

After discussion with Fini in chat, this is now a personal weapon for Spyker's use. If anyone else would like one, please contact me and I'll let you know.

Price: 500 cR
Company/Producer: SPECWARCOM

(Approved and archived by Draaygo The Great! Master of all Awesome! Figured I'd do something official considering I'v been gone so long...)