EE-19 Hellrazer Gunship
To create a highly mobile, precise and powerful infantry fighting vehicle that can both provide fire support and infantry transport. In general, very few, if any gunships exist that are used as a close-support fire support. LAATs generally lack heavy weapons to be useful against armoured vehicles that can pose a significant threat to infantry. Starfighters and starbombers are always moving and are generally not suited for providing the close level of support infantry require. The Hellrazer has been dubbed the "flying tank" because of its relatively small size and powerful punch.
By taking the idea of the LAAT which combined transport capacity with the armament of several compound lasers, the Hellrazer packs a wealth of more powerful weapons on a slightly smaller frame at the cost of some transport capacity. Able to carry a fully loaded squad and all their associated gear, the Hellrazer is meant to provide rapid response measures as well as scouting capabilities to ground any ground forces it is deployed with.
5 Weeks for conceptual and technical drawings
3 Weeks for prototyping
8 Weeks testing and analysis of results
Copyright Theo Stylianides. All rights are reserved. Image reproduced for non-commercial purposes.
Name/Type: EE-19/g Hellrazer "Flying Tank" Gunship
Designer/Manufacturer: Luciana Endivain / Endivain Engineering
Designation: Gunship Transport
Crew: 2 + 2 optional gunners
Length: 16 meters
Speed: 75 MGLT, 1000 Kph
Acceleration: 14 MGLT/s
Maneuverability: 110 DPF
Shield Rating: 150 SBD
Hull Rating: 45 RU
Weapons: 1 turreted heavy pulse cannon (ventral mounted, 360 degree arc), 2 heavy laser cannons (class 4, partial turrets), 2 side door mounted heavy repeaters, 4 stubwing hardpoints (can carry different types of weapons, typical loadout is 2 missile launchers with 4 concussion missiles each and 2 rocket pods with 20 unguided AP rockets each).
Countermeasures: 20 chaff & flares. Rear mounted turreted blaster cannon (rear arc, automated).
Troops: 12 troops and associated gear with standing room for an additional 6 passengers.
Cargo Space: 6 Metric tons
Special: Repel lines, life-support, ejection pod for pilot & co-pilot. Basic EMP Shielding. Advanced sensor suite.
Cost: 575,000 credits (with typical load out)
The Hellrazer performs two roles, an infantry transport role and a close support role for ground forces. This generalized approach allows for a greater deal of mobility for mechanized infantry forces, allowing for rapid redeployment as battlefield conditions change. The Hellrazer will enable commanders to properly respond without having to resort to transport shuttles which aren't always suited for combat roles.
Two operators help control the craft. One pilots and can take control of the nose mounted heavy pulse cannon (which will track whatever the pilot is looking at via link to his helmet). The pilot can also use the other weapon systems in a pinch but it's the co-pilot who will generally perform the targeting and deployment of the weapon systems, allowing the pilot to remain focused on the nimble maneuvering necessary to stay alive. Two optional gunners, usually drawn from the troops being transported but can also be transported alongside the squad, will take control of the heavy repeaters mounted on either of the side doors. They are mounted on fully mobile arms tied to two dedicated generators commonly used to power E-Web repeater cannons.
A unique engine configuration gives this craft a great deal of mobility and agility. The engines are mounted on the wings with nozzles facing back and forward. This allows the craft to travel backwards and decelerate at a much faster rate than snubs and even repulsor vehicles. This doesn't translate to a fast acceleration, however, but to be able to shake that X-Wing off your tail a lot faster could be a difference maker. A near silent repulsor allows this craft to hover at high altitudes and jink left and right. The vessel is capable of space travel so it can be deployed from orbiting capships that might not be atmosphere capable.
The passenger compartment is small, only able to hold a maximum of fourteen people. More can be crammed on if absolutely necessary, increasing the capacity to an overloaded 20 but, generally, this isn't advised as the doors will not be able to close and thus this craft will be unable to go into space (unless all passengers are fitted with space suits with self-contained life-support systems). An access hatch on either side allows for passengers to enter the vehicle, the door opens on two parts, a lower portion that folds down into a platform and an upper portion that slides up into the ceiling. A rear door also allows for quick ingress or egress as well as the deployment of speeder bikes (the Hellrazer can carry 4 at the cost of 2 people per bike).
Mounted on the nose of the Hellrazer is a suite of sensors including thermal and IR holocameras, laser targeters and ground penetrating sensors which enable the Hellrazer to detect ambushes or minefields and pierce through thick canopies of forests or the dense rubble of urban zones.
A heavy pulse cannon mounted on the chin of the Hellrazer gives the vessel a rapid firing gun capable of cutting through swathes of infantry or light vehicles at an incredible place. It is able to rotate 360 degrees but, as it's chin mounted, it can only target anything at or below the Hellrazer's altitude.
Next, 2 heavy laser cannons are mounted on the tips of the stub wings. They are used for punching through heavier armour or against aircraft as self-defense. The cannons are able to pitch up and down 100 degrees.
A rear mounted turreted blaster cannon is designed to protect this vessel from missiles and torpedoes. In lieu of using conventional countermeasures, a the rear blaster cannon relies on a rapid storm of shots to either destroy warheads or give enemy snubfighters something to think about.
Finally, four hardpoints on the stub wings give the Hellrazer a wealth of options to take in terms of heavier firepower. Options include:
- Missile rack - Holds 4 missiles (be they concussion, magpulse or cluster) or torpedoes (ion or proton). Useful against heavy targets or aircraft.
- Rocket launcher - Holds 20 dumb-fired rockets. Useful against stationary or clusted targets.
- Heavy Rocket Launcher - Holds 2 Heavy Rockets. Useful against really large but slow targets (capships, large navel vessels, planetary shield generators, planetary ion cannons or planetary turbolasers or fortresses)
- Space Bomb - Holds 1 Space bomb. Useful against really thickly armoured targets like bukers.
- The generalized approach to this vehicle means it is far from being effective at doing any one thing.
- It's slow speed and acceleration makes it an easy target against snubfighters. That being said, it's advised that snubfighters be used to provide air-superiority and escort to the Hellrazer.
- Because it flies, it is more susceptible to AA fire than a repulsor tank.
- No ion weaponry (unless ion torpedoes are used) so this vehicle won't be disabling anything and leaving it intact necessarily.
- This vessel, lacking a hyperdrive, must be transported to a planetary system by a capship.
- Equip with hyperdrive to use for long range missions.
- Upgrade rear blaster cannon into a more specialized anti-missile/starfighter defense system.
- Increase missile capacity through redesigned missile/torpedo racks.
- x1 Hyperdrive - Enable the vessel to travel through hyperspace. Only short journeys are recommended unless more food is stored but with limited cargo space and no refresher facilities... You can imagine how unpleasant really long journeys can become.
- Custom interior - Create access from the cockpit to the rear of the vessel or add a refresher or other options.
- Replace heavy lasers with composite lasers - Fire composite-beam lasers in place of heavy lasers.
- Paint job - Add some colour or nifty design to the vessel. Personalize!
- Replace side door repeaters with grenade launchers - Explosive power, great for clearing out clusters of troops.
- Replace heavy lasers with light ion cannons - for disabling vehicles.
- Upgrade repulsor drive to a silent repulsor for stealth operations - Great for getting in unheard and unnoticed.
- More to come. Other variants to also be announced in the future that incorporate some of the aforementioned options.