EE Manta Main Battle Tank

This is the file for all projects in R&D that have completed the process and been approved for full production.

Moderator: IDOMIR

Luciana Endivain
Contractor
Custom Title: NIF Supporter and Entrepreneur
Organizational Unit: Silver Infinity Network

EE Manta Main Battle Tank

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-01-24 01:55

Designation:
EAFV-1 "Manta" Armoured Fighting Vehicle

Purpose:
To create an armoured vehicle to support infantry in engaging opposing armour and vehicular units for the Silver Infinity Network any any authorized buyers.

Application:
Tanks are nothing new and this project doesn't attempt to reinvent the hyperdrive so to speak. Tanks basically need 3 things: armour for staying power, speed to move around the battlefield faster than infantry and firepower to take down targets troops generally cannot risk exposing themselves to (especially in wide open areas). With the Manta, a balance is struck between all three of those qualities with a slightly higher emphasis on firepower at the expense of armour.

The design of this tank is meant to provide a very low, ground hugging profile, thus making it a slightly harder target to hit. Because it isn't a very bulky design and the size is kept minimal, it isn't the most heavily armoured tank in the galaxy however with proper skill and maneuvering, this weakness can be overcome.

However, this tank does possess a very powerful particle cannon for its main armament. The advantage with using a particle cannon is its ability to fire in parabolic arcs and take advantage of any terrain features to use as cover. Unfortunately, because it uses physical rounds, space in the tank is tight in order to fit as many rounds as possible. Rounds are loaded into the barrel through an autoloader giving the vehicle a respectable rate of fire. The barrel itself is similar to a rail gun, using magnetic coils to accelerate the round to different speeds. The current can be adjusted to enable the vehicle to lob rounds further or closer, depending on the ranges needed and obstacles that have to be overcome.

One key feature of this vehicle is the modularity of the components that go into it. In order to make battlefield repairs faster and easier, many of the vital components are easily accessed and removed including the turret, reactor and even the ammunition stores are easily refilled. Even the treads are modular, able to be removed and replaced with the help of a trio of heavy lifting droids or a combat support vehicle.

One of the key features of this vehicle is the ease of construction, the various modular parts allowing for quick and easy assembly as well as repairs. Should a part get damaged, swapping out the whole part with a new one allows for ease of maintenance. This also reduces assembly costs and overall costs making it a relatively inexpensive tank to produce. On the other hand, it does mean that it doesn't particularly excel like the more intricate and complex tanks fielded by either the New Imperial Federation or New Republic.

Schedule:
6 Weeks brainstorming
5 Weeks conceptual designs, computer modeling and simulation testing
4 Weeks finalizing a final design
4 Weeks final computer simulated modeling and testing
5 Weeks building a prototype
up to 5 weeks Quality Assurance testing
1 Week to finalize design for final production model

Visual Description:
Copyright Theo Stylianides. All rights are reserved. Image reproduced for non-commercial purposes.

Technical Specifications:
Name/Type: EAFV-1a "Manta" Armoured Fighting Vehicle
Designer/Manufacturer: Luciana Endivain / Endivain Engineering
Combat Role: Main Battle Tank
Crew: 3 (pilot, main gunner and commander)
Length: 10 Meters (gun forward, tip of barrel to rear of main body)
Propulsion: Treads or repulsor
Speed: 130 kph (80 kph underwater)
Shield Rating: 35 SBD
Hull Rating: 40 RU
Weapons: Turreted proton cannon (main weapon, 80 rounds) with co-axial blaster cannon, 1 heavy repeater (pintle mounted)
Special: Enhanced targeting computer, proximity sensors, life-support, autoloader.
Countermeasures: Smoke charges, 1 automated point-defense blaster cannon (turreted)
Passengers: 0
Cargo: 200 kg
Cost: 30,000 credits

Weaknesses:
  • Tracks limit mobility and terrain types it can traverse over.
  • Lack of missiles or guided warheads.
  • Even with a small point-defense blaster, it's still vulnerable to dedicated air attacks.
  • Light armour for a main battle tank.
  • Proton cannon means the tank must store physical ammunition and thus be reloaded when stores run out.
Proposed Upgrades:
  • Missile launcher mount.
  • Adaptive camouflage or holodistortion field.
  • Create the EAFV-1b that replaces the particle cannon and ammunition stores with a heavy laser cannon, extra power generator and cooling system for fast refire rate.
EDIT 1 - Added underwater repulsor speed.
EDIT 2 - Corrected main weapon, added number of rounds. Added cost.
EDIT 3 - Removed repulsor modularity due to infeasibility of making it an efficient and useful design.
Last edited by Luciana Endivain on 2012-02-02 01:41, edited 5 times in total.
"Freedom, at any cost, is worth it so long as it's the New Republic that pays the price!" - Luciana

Tom Saint
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Organizational Unit: Moonrider, RDOP1

Re: EE Manta Main Battle Tank

Post by Tom Saint » 2012-01-24 03:34

Endivain Engineering sure is a diverse company lol, you got everything from handguns to tanks and fighters now ;) Saint might just have to join the private sector.
Luciana Endivain wrote:80 kph underwater
Does this mean like underwater as in submarine, or just in water like fording through a river?

All in all, looks ok. Just wonder if you wanted to put in an ammo capacity for the main gun, and maybe a sale price for those that would wonder?
“If scientists were breaking old ground we’d all have Bubonic Plague” -Miller Lite radio commercial.
"God made the bulk; the surface was invented by the devil" -Wolfgang Pauli

Luciana Endivain
Contractor

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-01-24 03:44

Tom wrote:Endivain Engineering sure is a diverse company lol, you got everything from handguns to tanks and fighters now ;) Saint might just have to join the private sector.

You should, it pays more :D Although, Endivain Engineering focuses more on vehicles and larger tech. Intragalactic Defense Systems is the company that focuses on the handguns but those are minor details :lol:
Tom wrote:Does this mean like underwater as in submarine, or just in water like fording through a river?
Water like fording through a river... Or traveling on a seabed (assuming even terrain and what not).
Tom wrote:All in all, looks ok. Just wonder if you wanted to put in an ammo capacity for the main gun, and maybe a sale price for those that would wonder?
... Yeah, I just noticed the lack of cost when I was going through this... Honestly, I'm not sure on a price, especially given the lack of cost references. Although, the I did find one and I have to say, I'm surprised that the TX-130T is only 42,000 credits!!!. But, as you suggested in chat, I'll propose 28,000 credits for the base version and then an additional 2,000 credits for the repulsor module to replace the tracks? The 2,000 doesn't necessarily cover the costs of swapping the drive terrain out necessarily but I'm sure a few mechanics and heavy lifter droids could do it for about 200 creds, lol.

As for ammo capacity, how does 80 shells sound?
"Freedom, at any cost, is worth it so long as it's the New Republic that pays the price!" - Luciana

Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

Post by Kane » 2012-01-25 01:04

Luciana Endivain wrote:Water like fording through a river... Or traveling on a seabed (assuming even terrain and what not).
If it can do that on tracks, then the repulsor version can go submarine.
Luciana Endivain wrote:As for ammo capacity, how does 80 shells sound?
Shells? Methinks you meant 'projectile cannon' rather than 'particle cannon'.

Turbolasers are particle cannons... which uses different forms of tibanna gas both for cooling and as destructive medium. But they don't use shells.

Luciana Endivain
Contractor

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-01-25 02:36

Kane wrote:If it can do that on tracks, then the repulsor version can go submarine.
Okay, I did not know that! I'll make an edit to reflect that in the first post. Thanks!
Kane wrote:Shells? Methinks you meant 'projectile cannon' rather than 'particle cannon'.

Turbolasers are particle cannons... which uses different forms of tibanna gas both for cooling and as destructive medium. But they don't use shells.
Really? Okay, this changes a few things because I was always under the assumption that particle canons fired particle projectiles that could follow parabolic arcs? Or do they still do that? What's the difference between, say, the "particle cannon" on an XR-85 Tank Droid and the "heavy turbolasers" on an AT-AT Mk II?

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2012-01-25 09:13

Luciana Endivain wrote:Really? Okay, this changes a few things because I was always under the assumption that particle canons fired particle projectiles that could follow parabolic arcs? Or do they still do that? What's the difference between, say, the "particle cannon" on an XR-85 Tank Droid and the "heavy turbolasers" on an AT-AT Mk II?
There's a few energy weapon pieces with indirect fire which we don't know what they do, but they obviously aren't lasers, whether real or SW, which leaves some form of particle weapon. That's the Mobile Artillery and Heavy Artillery Platform, and the Shock Cannon. Possibly also the SPHA, but that might've been a mass driver unit. Most indirect fire weapons are either projectile (J-1 Proton Cannon, AV-7 Antivehicle Cannon) or missiles (SPHA-C, Bryn & Gweigth Leveller I, Mobile Proton Torpedo Launcher-2a).

Then there's particle cannons with direct fire, such as the XR-85 and a few others, including fixed turrets.

Meanwhile, blaster cannons, SW laser cannons and turbolasers are also all particle weapons. In Battlefront II, turbolasers actually have an alternative name: Ship Particle Cannon.

So what's the difference? Well, a blaster is a rapid fire weapon with dial-a-yield that typically don't use tibanna as a medium. It's typically a particle pulse weapon, but in function actually very similar to a plasma shot. In fact, ion blasters are blasters that uses energized plasma rather than a particle pulse. Ionic weapons carry an electric charge, which is what makes them more effective against droids and electronics (and less so against organics, because that charge eats up power), while normal blasters do their damage by excitation (and to a lesser degree, impact). Ionic plasma weapons have shorter range.

Stun weapons come in all forms and can vary between plasma, electric discharge, anything that incapacitates really. Blasters that have a stun setting uses the equivalent of a blank round; a non-energized shot. But there's also blasters with a more specialized and separate built-in stunner. These can sometimes fire in a cone form.

A laser cannon is nearly identical in function to a blaster cannon, but uses tibanna gas for greater yield and usually don't come with variable yield, at least not to the degree blaster cannons can vary. It is, in short, a more specialized version of the blaster cannon with more firepower and somewhat reduced refire.

A turbolaser is a heavy laser cannon with a second stage for even greater yield and lower refire rate. Consequently, 'turbo' is a is very fitting name because a turbocharger boosts a combustion engine by compressing more air into it, while a turbo-laser (sometimes spelled this way) has capacitors and galven coils that turbo-charges the shot with a tibanna-based particle blast. In effect being two weapons in one. Heavy shipbased ion cannons have a very similar function, but uses charged plasma rather than compressed tibanna gas. This is equivalent to the similarity between blasters and ion blasters.

Luciana Endivain
Contractor

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-01-25 18:04

Going through Wookieepedia for both the J-1 Proton cannon and the AV-7 antivehicle cannon, both of those guns appear to be little more than self-propelled artillery pieces rather than battle tanks (and hence they possess sizes comparable to artillery pieces with the J-1 giving a height of just over 6 meters which means the caliber of that gun must be fairly large by the picture they have.)

I probably already know the answer to this, but I might as well make sure: Is it safe to think that the guns used on the J-1 or the AV-7 could be scaled appropriately? I also take it there's little difference between the two guns in terms of the rounds they fire if there is any at all.

I'm also going to think we've invented things like autoloaders and not go through the hastle of having to R&D an automated loading device ;)

All that being said and done and with no other objections, I'll also present the "Ray" version of the tank (which is essentially the same except it swaps out the proton cannon with a heavy laser. I figure a turbolaser/particle cannon would have power requirements far too high for a tank this size so I'll save that for later.

Name/Type: EAFV-1b "Ray" Armoured Fighting Vehicle
Designer/Manufacturer: Luciana Endivain / Endivain Engineering
Combat Role: Main Battle Tank
Crew: 3 (pilot, main gunner and commander)
Length: 10 Meters (gun forward, tip of barrel to rear of main body)
Propulsion: Treads or repulsor
Speed: 130 kph (80 kph underwater)
Shield Rating: 35 SBD
Hull Rating: 40 RU
Weapons: Turreted heavy laser cannon (main weapon) with co-axial blaster cannon, 1 heavy repeater (pintle mounted)
Special: Enhanced targeting computer, extra power generator, proximity sensors, life-support.
Countermeasrues: Smoke charges, 1 automated point-defense blaster cannon (turreted)
Passengers: 0
Cargo: 200 kg
Cost: 30,000 credits
Last edited by Luciana Endivain on 2012-02-02 01:41, edited 2 times in total.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2012-01-26 03:25

Luciana Endivain wrote:I probably already know the answer to this, but I might as well make sure: Is it safe to think that the guns used on the J-1 or the AV-7 could be scaled approperately? I also take it there's little difference between the two guns in terms of the rounds they fire if there is any at all.
They're projectile weapons with similar function, I'm sure you can figure out the rest.

This may seem like a nitpick, but how do you intend to make it able to switch out tracks for a repulsordrive? The engine systems aren't remotely similar. Just imagine trying to combine a tank and a hovercraft.

I really doubt it can be done effectively. Two different versions is another story.

Luciana Endivain
Contractor

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-01-26 03:55

Kane wrote:This may seem like a nitpick, but how do you intend to make it able to switch out tracks for a repulsordrive? The engine systems aren't remotely similar. Just imagine trying to combine a tank and a hovercraft. I really doubt it can be done effectively. Two different versions is another story.
I imagined there'd be a relatively easy way to make the engine and tracks somewhat modular and by removing them as modular parts (sorta like legos) the newly empty space could be fitted with the repulsor drive and the gone engine with a small reactor to power said drive. As for fuel, I figured that, so long as some sort of purge system could be set up to take the combustion engine fuel out before filling the tank with whatever fuel a reactor runs off of (assuming it uses conventional fuel...?)

Thinking it through a little more, I suppose it seemed possible in my head, an easy swapping of parts and necessary engines but if it's too far fetched to think we could replace two different drive terrain systems than I'll make 2 different versions (which would equate to 4 when all is said and done but that's a minor detail).

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2012-01-26 09:27

Luciana Endivain wrote:I imagined there'd be a relatively easy way to make the engine and tracks somewhat modular and by removing them as modular parts (sorta like legos) the newly empty space could be fitted with the repulsor drive and the gone engine with a small reactor to power said drive. As for fuel, I figured that, so long as some sort of purge system could be set up to take the combustion engine fuel out before filling the tank with whatever fuel a reactor runs off of (assuming it uses conventional fuel...?)

Thinking it through a little more, I suppose it seemed possible in my head, an easy swapping of parts and necessary engines but if it's too far fetched to think we could replace two different drive terrain systems than I'll make 2 different versions (which would equate to 4 when all is said and done but that's a minor detail).
I'm not saying it can't be done, but you're talking about swapping out, well, the entire tank besides the turret. I mean the track works by converting power to mechanical movement, while a repulsorlift has entirely different components. While the reactor could probably be the same type, it's built into the engine area and you don't want to create structural weaknesses if you can help it.

Luciana Endivain
Contractor

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-01-27 02:09

Fair enough. I thought maybe there was a simple and easy way to do it is all.

Reflecting on it, I think I'm just going to scrap the repulsor entirely. I'm aware it means these vehicles won't be anywhere near as mobile on the field and I'm going to be denying myself a potentially useful platform but I've already got a backup plan in place. ;)

I'll make the edits to reflect this change in plan/design.

Any other questions, comments or concerns or can I call this approved and move into the Development phase? :D

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2012-01-29 15:33

I don't see any problems as such. Approved.

Luciana Endivain
Contractor

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-01-31 01:44

Seeing the work on the first tank prototype brought mixed feelings to Luciana, a pilot more accustomed to flying high in a starfighter than hugging the ground in a tracked, or even repulsor driven vehicle. So far, SIN had been solely reliant upon troops and starfighters to get by but they were in the process of expanding and now the need for armoured support was becoming evident. She had plenty of starfighters, from assault in the form of the StarViper to superiority with the Arrow all the way to a dedicated bomber with the Spectre, but there would be instances where those ships would be limited in their usefulness.

Enter the Manta and the Ray, a pair of tanks fundamentally similar to each other except one was armed with a projectile proton cannon and the other a heavy laser. Solid rounds, the exception of missiles notwithstanding, seemed to be so passe these days but she would need a platform about twice the size of her ten meter long tank to fit one of the parabolic particle cannons and even if she could mount it, the need to install bracing would become a serious detractor on the vehicle so Luciana just stuck with a simple proton cannon. It meant the vehicle would need to be reloaded but if the Mantas and Rays could be used in tandem with each other, it shouldn't be too big an issue.

Though maintaining a constantly and steady supply of proton rounds... It did mean more credits would be spent on procurement of the ammunition and the storage but, reflecting on it for a moment, lasers needed Tibanna gas which had to be stored in large vessels so it didn't seem to be as big an issue now. The bigger problem would be the production of these vehicles, factories were expensive both to build and man, and while modular ones existed, real estate was hard to come buy and the citizens of Tralus would be loathe to see so much industry destroy their beautiful land, building the few factories she had going up was a chore in of itself.

That left her with three options: Var, StarForge and Nkllon. Var was out by default simply because of the stability problems and the harsh environment (lack of a breathable atmosphere for starters). StarForge likewise was out because it was already built up to near full capacity and its facilities were scarce at best with all the shady business that took priority. Besides, she had other plans for the asteroid city including a full upgrade and overhaul of its shipyards.

Which left her with Nkllon, the world rich with shipbuilding metals that she had already started a mining operation on, albeit with a little help from Zekk Constantine. Okay, more than a little help... Luciana hung her head, lamenting the fact that virtually the entire world and all the infrastructure there so far belonged to the mogul. It was infuriating that he had an eighty percent stake but it couldn't be helped because he was the one who virtually bought everything. Even without her designs to increase efficiency, he could have spent a pittance and simply restarted the same operation Lando Calrissian had going before Grand Admiral Thrawn had destroyed the place. To Luciana, it was a heavy price to pay for her experiment which proved to work out immensely well, though she did tweak a few things after the fact.

Turning her focus back to the problems of production- or lack thereof- Luciana stared absently at the turret as it was lowered onto the chassis. Building an immobile structure was impossible on Nkllon, as soon as anything reached the light side of the world, the intense energies from the star would irradiate, if not melt, everything she tried to build, not to mention flash cook people in the blink of an eye. She had the technology to deflect the energies away through the induction of artificial magnetospheres, but to build one on the surface of the world, it would only deflect the energies around the field and concentrate them more heavily around the area she was aiming to protect, potentially causing stability problems on the ground. Building one out in space between the world and the star was an option, but that would take an immense capital investment that she didn't have anyways. In the short term at least, she had the shadow cast by the world itself, the dark side of the world, in orbit above the world where already one space station was being offered protection from the natural shade.

The turret was lowered into place, droids working at securing it down, bolting everything together as the prototype tank slowly came together while Luciana already looked on into the future. No-Neck glanced over at her, having been musing aloud the whole time she was lost in thought and seeing her vacant stare into space, he gently waved his large hand in front of her face before snapping his fingers once. She snapped out of her daze and blinked several times. "You ever consider just taking a portion of your brain and tossing it into a supercomputer so it can do all the thinking for you while you keep yourself firmly planted in the moment?" he asked half-seriously.

Luciana wasn't sure quite how to respond to that and it once again brought awareness to the cybernetics she had and now she started feeling self-conscious about it again, something she thought she had overcome but with the loss of the man she once loved, she also lost that reassurance he provided her. "I doubt it would work like that, it just means you'd have two of me thinking, probably of the exact same thing only the supercomputer me would be doing it faster." She wasn't going to speculate beyond that, her education was more focused on technology and less biology so she wasn't too aware of the human machine interfacing and how effective that would be or what it would mean. It was something she occasionally looked into but usually stopped short as the idea made her feel less... human.

No-Neck laughed for a moment before crooking his head in the direction of the tank. "So, ideas how we're going to build this thing, and all the other toys you've designed us?"

"Yeah, I'm going to pay you double your wage to sit in a factory and put them together when not fighting." Luciana looked serious, the yellow in her eye perhaps the only indicator she was joking though the large man had never tried reading too much into the colour change and he wasn't about to start now as he frowned in response. She smiled, unable to help herself. Shaking her head, she said quickly, "That's what I was lost in thought about just now. I have an idea, but like all my ideas, it'll cost credits I neither have nor want to take out an exorbitant loan for."

"You'll have to give in sooner or later," he pointed out calmly, "Nothing's free these days."

She sighed at the unfortunate truth. "I know, I know."

"How about the Federation, any chance they'd front you the credits?"

Luciana shrugged at that. It wasn't an idea she was fond of, not so much because they'd ask for a reasonable return on their investment, but because she knew they wouldn't be interested in making their credits back so much as using the given resources to fuel their own war machine. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but it meant she'd potentially be stuck in a similar situation as she was now with Zekk, except now her future factories would be tied up with filling NIF orders rather than hers. "I'd like to explore other options first..."

That made him laugh again. "The way you said that just now, you really are getting the hang of running a slew of businesses."

Luciana could feel her cheeks redden just a tad. She never really imagined herself at this point before, and yet here she was. "It's a lot of hard work, I won't deny that." Her voice trailed off as she watched the heavy lifting droids pull away, the turret firmly set in place while a slew of other droids clambered around the vehicle that was still lacking tracks and the man snorted as though someone had forgotten all about them.

"I hope they install the tracks otherwise that thing will move like a sick Hutt..."

That made Luciana blink suddenly as a thought struck her. "That's it!" she realized aloud, her smile widening.

"What's it?" No-Neck glanced back down at her. "You mean to tell me you forgot to install treads on this thing?"

Luciana shook her head. "No no, not that. Your Hutt comment, I think I just figured out the solution to our credit problem." He stared at her, dumbfounded and unable to tell what was going through that cybernetically enhanced brain of hers. Whatever it was, it had her glowing- thankfully not in the literal sense- and before anything else could be said, she spun around excitedly and sped out of the construction hanger that had seen so many other prototypes. She was in such a rush that she didn't even notice Viper who had strolled in, nearly clipping the starfighter pilot in the mad dash out.

"The hell's gotten into Boss Lady?" Viper jerked a thumb back at the now departed Luciana.

No-Neck twisted his lips in uncertainty. "I'm not sure, but I suspect it's got something to do with either Hutts and credits."

Luciana Endivain
Contractor

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-02-02 01:39

(OOC: I asked myself, "self, how is it this tank is going to be able to operate underwater and still allow the crew to survive?" Added life-support to the systems list. Increased cost to 30,000 credits to account for this upgrade.)

Ace: the whole tank fits in a 300 m3 box. If only 10% is air filled, that's 30,000 liters of air. A crew of three uses 3x8 liters per minute under normal breath. That's over 20 hours of air. Still, one should keep NBC protection and vacuum planets in mind.

Standing at the plateau, Luciana looked down at the prototype Manta tank that was driving about, testing the numerous features of the vehicle as it sped around the wide open plains. She didn't have much joy driving anything that couldn't get at least four meters off the ground though, thankfully, there were more than just a few people who wanted to take the new toy out for a test drive. From what she could tell so far, the vehicle had performed to expectations, the low profile enabling it to hide behind shallow hills and remain almost entirely unseen while the proton cannon could lob its deadly shells over the hill with surprising accuracy, though having a spotter, or even the tank commander poke out of the copula with a range finder helped a lot. A few craters were scattered about the field just outside SIN HQ and well within Luciana's deeds to the territory. So long as she didn't go burning everything and making a huge mess, the locals didn't mind the test range two hundred kilometers away from the nearest population center.

Activating her comm implant again, she asked, "How's it going in there?"

"Thing handles nicely. Good traction and a pretty decent vehicle for something that isn't repulsor driven." No-Neck sounded impressed, which was something that usually got increasingly hard to do though she attributed that to her constant raising of the bar with each project. "Not even all that cramped in here either... If I didn't know any better, I'd say you had designed it for people like me to operate."

Unlike true military tanks, Luciana could afford to splurge just a bit more on crew comforts and since not everyone under her employ was human, keeping in mind the varied and unique alien species and their needs was something she had to consider. Plus, if she designed it for a Wookiee to sit in comfortably, odds were, just about anyone else would be able to find ample elbow room.

"Well, I wouldn't go that far," she responded jokingly, feeling the ground shake just a little as the proton cannon fired again, another round flying through the air before slamming into an old T4-B tank she bought from a scrap yard for a hundred credits. The shot exploded against the remains of the vehicle, smoke rising from the fires that managed to find perhaps some old wires with insulation that could still burn. The co-axial blaster cannon opened up, the individual bolts pinging against the target, some missing altogether but they didn't go far as the face of a nearby cliff took the shots. "Try driving into that ravine to your port side, let's see the extremes this thing can handle in terms of terrain."

"And if I get stuck?"

"Then I'll get a few droids to pull you out." She laughed softly just as a solitary StarViper appeared on the horizon. Watching the tank drive into the ravine, she winced as the barrel came scarily close to digging itself into the soft ground before it lifted up, the tank bouncing around a bit and Luciana could only imagine the feeling inside the tank as she didn't really have inertial dampeners in it, tanks don't need to make jumps to light speed after all. Repulsors were perhaps more useful in more awkward terrain and Luciana was limiting the usefulness by sticking with tracks, but there would be conditions where having physical propulsion would be more useful than gravitational manipulation. Ionic storms for starers and being a lot closer to the ground made it a harder target to track since it wouldn't have an extra meter or two (or even three or four) of height effectively added to it.

As the tank started climbing the steep ravine out, the StarViper overhead buzzed past and the automated point defense blaster opened fire, a slew of blaster bolts flying into the air as the quick tracking turret managed to put out a very high rate of fire. It wasn't meant to actually cause a lot of damage to starfighters so much as act as a means to destroy bombs and missiles before they struck the vehicle, the lower power of the blaster inconsequential when against the fragility of the typical missile. One bolt was enough to destroy the warhead- diamond boron missiles in a league all their own and able to withstand lasers at the best of times- so a high rate of fire was more important than power in this case.

"Why am I not surprised you sent a snub to attack me?"

Luciana laughed. "Viper isn't going to actually attack you, well, not with lasers at any rate. Dummy torps on the other hand..."

"Dummies for a dummy I always say," Viper chimed in.

"You are pretty dumb, no argument there." Viper's little jab seemed to have backfired horribly, that or No-Neck had a faster wit than anyone gave him credit for.

"Boss Lady, permission to strafe him?" Viper growled.

"Denied. I'd rather not see you two tear each other apart." She knew they were only having fun, but there were times Luciana had to wonder where the line existed, if one existed at all. The snub turned about and started coming in for an attack run, the sound of the targeting computer beeping through the comm channel. The point-defense blaster wasted no time firing at the incoming hostile but when the torpedo was fired and the ship veered away, the turret remained locked on the incoming warhead, letting the snub get away, exactly as programmed. The flurry of bolts easily tore into the warhead which was little more than propellant, shell, maneuvering thrusters and targeting system, no actual proton charge so when it disappeared in a small puff, she had to remind herself of that fact, having expected something a little more spectacular. "Your anti-missile defense seems to work nicely," Luciana observed to the others.

"Well, that's a relief." No-Neck responded with a heavy breath as though he had just narrowly escaped death. "Though I feel I must ask, what are you planning to use as a dedicated anti-air platform? I hope not this blaster turret alone..."

"That's my job," Viper pointed out bluntly, "If the other snubs are dropping bombs on you, it means I need to step up my game."

While she did have a point, Luciana felt she had to add, "But there will be times you're not always available, if the Rebs have escorts for instance, or we're suddenly outnumbered. I do have a plan for a dedicated anti-air platform but first I want to get a handle on this vehicle and get a better handle our manufacturing problems before I start investing too much more into research."

Luciana Endivain
Contractor

Post by Luciana Endivain » 2012-02-11 15:06

"That's brilliant," Luciana blinked as she looked at the holovid. It displayed a repeating holo of the recently prototyped Manta tank where it's turret was suddenly lifted, the autoloader device likewise taken up and other components inside the main body and then swapped around for an extra power generator, a few other modular bits and then a similar looking turret used on the Ray design. It was actually fairly impressive and something that started to spark other ideas.

The other designers nodded enthusistaclly. "Since we're using the same body," one of them began, "switching out the turret is a lot easier than just the gun, plus, it allows us to better access the parts inside the vehicle to more effectively enact not only battlefield repairs but also fit the tank to better suit the combat situation. It won't happen in minutes mind you, but it will keep costs drastically down."

Luciana was still a little disheartened her modular repulsor idea hadn't worked out, but she wasn't willing to make such glaring structural weaknesses just to increase terrain versitility. Still, this wasn't a bad idea by any means and she suddenly saw hope for modular fighting vehicles. The Federation had been working on a modular tank, though as far as she knew, it was long past the deadline to submit a design though why she hadn't heard anything else about it remained open to speculation. Maybe the army wasn't interested in modular tanks?

Whatever the case, I am interested. Staring at the holo as it continued to repeat the same motion over and over, captivated as though she were staring at a lavaglowlamp, Luciana couldn't help but smile happily. Finally looking back at the designers, she said, "Excelent work. I'll make the official changes to the approved for construction drawings and we can go from there." TUrning, she walked away and made a mental note to give them a nice little bonus for all their hard work too. She wanted to reward innovation and do everything she could to keep her employees happy and productive. Last thing she needed was one of them becoming disgruntled and running off to the New Republic and handing over the designs for them to use.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Custom Title: Fleet Commander, Self-Proclaimed Bartender, Baron
Organizational Unit: Third Fleet, Task Force Conquest, ESD Intimidator

Post by Tavish McFini » 2012-04-21 15:02

PROJECT STATUS: Approved and completed.

One of many huh? ;)
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.