Designation: TIE/C Cobra
To create a unique, multirole starfighter for the Invidious pirates that is unique, fast and able to disable target vessels as well as destroy them.
A complex but vastly superior starfighter than what is usually available to pirates, the TIE Cobra started off as little more than a clumsy starfither cobbled together from various parts off other starfighters. The first iterations were little more than cumbersome uglies until a team of skilled outlaw techs managed to finalize a formal design which could be easily produced.
6 weeks to design
4 weeks to test scale mockups and run computer simulations
3 weeks to build prototype
3 weeks to test and refine prototype
Note: This process has already been done.
Credit for this picture goes to MagyarEagle on deviantART. All rights reserved.
Name/Type: TIE/C Cobra
Designer/Manufacturer: Leonia Tavira / Invidious Pirates
Combat Role: Multirole / Assault
Length: 20 Meters (from wingtip to the wingtip directly kitty corner with s-foils fully extended)
Speed: 110 MGLT, 1,000 Kph (atmospheric assumes s-foils retracted, 800 kph with them deployed)
Acceleration: 15 MGLT/s
Maneuverability: 130 DPF
Shield Rating: 100 SBD
Hull Rating: 20 RU
Weapons: 2 dual L-s9.3 laser cannons, 2 Borstel NK-3 medium ion cannons, 2 M-g-2 general-purpose warhead launchers (8 warheads).
Countermeasures: 1 Beam Weapon Compartment Module.
Special: Ejector seat.
Cargo Space: 60 kilograms
Consumables: 2 days
Cost: 160,000 credits (Rare)
Many of the components in this vessel are similar to the ones found in other TIE models including the Novaldex deflector shield generator to provide a 100 SBD rated shield. The hull is still made from titanium with quadanium steel solar panels to provide the vessel with a hull strength of 20 RU.
P-sx7.4 twin ion engines provide considerable thrust for the TIE/V while a I-s4d solar ionization reactor provides the power for all the systems. The P-sx7.4 was rated for a higher speed and lower acceleration and is reflected here and because of the reduced solar array size, the power output fails to reach capacity further impacting both speed and acceleration.
A ND9 hyperdrive motivator along with an N-s6 Navcon enable this starfighter to travel through hyperspace, either to patrol or conduct small scale raids away from a carrier vessel.
Because of the complex solar ionization panels and their ability to open and close as well as rotate around the central cockpit ball, a Narmox HG.6w flight control avionics package is included to assist the pilot and enable him to pull off very complex maneuvers with ease and minimal training.
2 dual L-s9.3 laser cannons are mounted on either side of the cockpit while 2 Borstel NK-3 medium ion cannons are mounted above it and 2 M-g-2 general-purpose warhead launchers are fitted below with an eight warhead capacity. This gives the TIE Cobra firepower to serve in both an assault and superiority role, making it a TIE well suited for engaging almost any target.
- Fairly expensive to produce though it remains cheaper than many other starfighters including most NR ones.
- Lots of moving parts means high maintenance costs. Again, given the durability and survivability of this starfighter, the added cost is negligible.
- Generalized role means it won't be suitable for straight up superiority fights against more dedicated and specialized craft.
- Very large frontal and rear profile making it easier to establish a missile lock on the vessel.
- Also, because of that large profile, there is a significant increase to air resistance when flying in planetary atmospheres.
- Because the overall surface area for the solar arrays are smaller than what is found on other TIEs like the TIE Avenger, the power output is slightly reduced and therefore this snub, despite possessing parts akin to what is found in the military grade vessel, simply cannot provide enough juice to stay on par.
- Sensor jammer outfits.
- Use a more updated ion engine such as the P-sz9.7 model for high acceleration and speed.
- Add a second Novaldex deflector shield for added protection or even as a backup.