Renaming Imperial Intelligence

Information and polls from the staff. Post suggestions for site improvements here.
Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

Renaming Imperial Intelligence

Post by Kane » 2015-12-01 18:08

We're not the only ones who would prefer not to be associated with certain contemporary radical elements.

Current Imperial Security and Intelligence and Service is based on merging Imperial Intelligence and the ISB, Imperial Security Bureau. COMPNOR, the ideological organization which included political police was of course abandoned. Until it was secretly reignited in a new form under the rule of Emperor Kane: the Commissariat.

I've had the thought of renaming it before, but I lacked a good reason. I would prefer an IC reason, but one could be found.

Suggestions?

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Organizational Unit: Executive Officer of TFJ, Fourth Fleet.

Re: Renaming Imperial Intelligence

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2015-12-01 19:20

At this point you could just give it .

I.S.I.A

Integrated Services Intelligence Agencies.

But it's a tomato, toe-mah-toe thing.

IC reason: compnor attempts a partial merge to crossbranch the military and civilian side, due to emperor paranoia?

Phoenix Empire
Recruit
Organizational Unit: Phoenix Empire-New Eden

Post by Phoenix Empire » 2015-12-02 05:09

Abraxes Rancor wrote:At this point you could just give it .

I.S.I.A

Integrated Services Intelligence Agencies.

But it's a tomato, toe-mah-toe thing.

IC reason: compnor attempts a partial merge to crossbranch the military and civilian side, due to emperor paranoia?
I rather like that acronym. Short sweet and to the point.

Thrakis Gregory
Traitor
Traitor
Custom Title: Renegade Radical Rabble-Rousing Revolutionary
Organizational Unit: Null

Post by Thrakis Gregory » 2015-12-03 05:41

Is there any reason not to call it Crystala's Minions?

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2015-12-03 08:12

Thrakis Gregory wrote:Is there any reason not to call it Crystala's Minions?
CM would be quite confusing for the difference of campaign missions , oh elusive one. :p

Perhaps CS for crystala's slaves?

That toon did once use a neurowhip I was told.

jacenwesiri
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander
Custom Title: Sith Sorcerer, Supreme Commander, something else

Post by jacenwesiri » 2015-12-03 08:51

a la Smiley's People?

I'm not sure about ISIA, I don't think it rolls off the tongue when trying to pronounce the acronym, and spelling it out seems unduly cumbersome.

How about the Department of Analysis, Espionage, Security and hockey? :D There's something about that acronym that seems to flow so naturally, though perhaps it needs a better backronym.

Perhaps I should log onto Juni before posting this, but anyways, I don't like the idea of changing our name, which we had first, just because a bunch of inbred terrorists decided that they wanted it. Though I'll accede to any choice Ace makes on the matter.
"Don't worry guys, it's cool. We've got this, I'm Master Yi!" -- a questionable Yi player, who ended the game 2-16. We lost.

Thrakis Gregory
Traitor
Traitor
Custom Title: Renegade Radical Rabble-Rousing Revolutionary
Organizational Unit: Null

Post by Thrakis Gregory » 2015-12-04 02:09

jacenwesiri wrote:How about the Department of Analysis, Espionage, Security and hockey?
So just to make sure I'm not missing anything here, you're recommending we call ISIS by Daesh instead?

jacenwesiri
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Post by jacenwesiri » 2015-12-04 02:25

Naturally, but to meet stringent western sensibilities, we'd probably need to refer to it as D.A.E.S.H.

Speaking of ISIS, doesn't it already have like a silver dagger as the emblem. So, against a black ISIS uniform. Add some arabic writing around it, and it might be confused for the real thing. :D

Hello NSA, it's so nice to have such vigilant protectors keeping an eye on us. WOuld you happen to have any suggestions for a new name for our fictional intelligence agency? And yes, you are absolutely right, I should probably not make that joke about how we could hand out AK-47's to new recruits. That really would be in bad taste. ;)
"Don't worry guys, it's cool. We've got this, I'm Master Yi!" -- a questionable Yi player, who ended the game 2-16. We lost.

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2015-12-04 03:02

Both of you have seriously twisted senses of humor.

How about A.S.I.A.

Aggregate Services, intelligence agencies.

Why the intel chars should be proud of being Can-asia-n after crystals gets through all of them. What better to be named after a continent?

Or taught to play hockey ye' hoosiers!

jacenwesiri
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Post by jacenwesiri » 2015-12-16 23:14

So anyways, I came across a discussion comparing the Jedi to Islamist terrorists. It seems fitting here given what's been discussed.

Here it is. Perhaps if we keep the name ISIS, we'll also need to get some of Ace's jedi associates to join to make it right again. :D

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2015-12-17 01:03

O.o

:shock: :shock: :shock: :cry:

Wtf did I just read?

Dammit jacen!

Xanis Sorannan
Vice-Admiral
Vice-Admiral
Custom Title: Third Fleet Executive Officer
Organizational Unit: NIF Third Fleet - NSD Lusankya

Post by Xanis Sorannan » 2015-12-20 22:44

For other ideas...

NIFI (New Imperial Federation Intelligence) or NII (New Imperial Intelligence) both spring to mind as possibilities. As for story-based reasons, as Kane is trying to establish the NIF as a legitimate government, he could justify changing the name of ISIS to account for its "reorganization" into a new galactic government. ("Reorganization" should of course be understood as his attempt to insert elements loyal to him personally at all levels of the organization.)

Alternately, some sort of situation or issue could arise that precipitates the breakup of ISIS into its constituent agencies and bureaus, and they are then reorganized in a new form with a new name to get rid of the baggage that would come with bringing back the old name that they all held when formerly consolidated.

Crystala Endivain
Grand Inquisitor
Grand Inquisitor
Custom Title: Director-General & Dark Jedi Archon
Organizational Unit: ISIS (in its entirety)

Post by Crystala Endivain » 2015-12-22 02:57

I actually remember thinking about this very topic not long ago when the whole ISIS thing blew up and kept snickering whenever I head "eye-sis" brought up in the news, only because it made me think that the Empire was attacking Rebel bases or such... Maybe not entirely appropriate but, nonetheless, the thought did cross my mind that maybe the time has come to change the name lest we start attracting unwanted attention from extreme security and intelligence folks...
Because then I would envision everyone in the intelligence community as this:

And we don't f***ing want that, at least, I sure as heck hope we don't want that. Otherwise I'll gladly butcher the minions!

Anyways, I had toyed with the names IDIS (Imperial Department of Intelligence and Security) or IDSI (Imperial Department of Security and Intelligence). What can I say, I like acronyms but maybe those are too close to the original too?

As for the reason, I would have simply gone with "Emperor Kane, on a whim, decides to change the names of organizations more to his liking and so orders the Director-General to have the ISIS renamed to 'Kane's Intelligence'."

And then people like Thrakis and Eri will proceed to make really bad jokes. :P
"Dagger of the ISIS? No, I am the hand that wields it!" - Director-General Endivain
"The quickest way to find the needle, burn the haystack!"

Xanis Sorannan
Vice-Admiral
Vice-Admiral
Custom Title: Third Fleet Executive Officer
Organizational Unit: NIF Third Fleet - NSD Lusankya

Post by Xanis Sorannan » 2015-12-22 20:20

IDSI (Pronounced "Idsee" in my mind) could work...it's as short as ISIS, equally easily pronounced, and unlikely to turn up as anything related to a certain group of militants rampaging across parts of the Middle East right now. (Though I personally place a far lower value on their actual danger to anybody not in the immediate area than major media outlets would have everyone think is appropriate.)