Welcome to the New Imperial Federation Galactic Senate!

Forum rules
The Imperial Senate. Where the fate of the galaxy is decided.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Custom Title: Fleet Commander, Self-Proclaimed Bartender, Baron
Organizational Unit: Third Fleet, Task Force Conquest, ESD Intimidator

Re: Welcome to the New Imperial Federation Galactic Senate!

Post by Tavish McFini » 2010-06-14 05:45

Bad Jacen! Down boy!

Here's a question, does the Senate have a Mr. Speaker like Canadian Parliament? Do we have to specifically address this one individual and speak as if we were only talking to him with everyone else listening on?

As a not so unrelated subject, that would be a great job.

Drunken brawls eh? I wonder how much credits Fini could make supplying all those senators with Blue Wave? Imagine people on their little platforms, flying around like bumper cars!

... :shock:

I just had an idea for a Star Wars amusement park ride!!!
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

Post by Kane » 2010-06-14 06:47

Tavish McFini wrote:Here's a question, does the Senate have a Mr. Speaker like Canadian Parliament? Do we have to specifically address this one individual and speak as if we were only talking to him with everyone else listening on?

As a not so unrelated subject, that would be a great job.
That was implied in Evethius' question as well. What we see in Ep1 is the Supreme Chancellor acting as speaker, but it shouldn't be assumed that would always be the case.

Since I have yet to find a parliamentary system without a speaker, it's pretty safe to assume that there is one.
Tavish McFini wrote:I just had an idea for a Star Wars amusement park ride!!!
Let me guess, the Death Star Supercoaster? Taken.

Thirty Seven
Freelancer

Post by Thirty Seven » 2010-07-16 23:36

I'm actually very much interested in pursuing a story discussing the legal rights of A.I. Not from the perspective of Thirty Seven, as it wouldn't really fit his character. My interest is more along a philosophical bent, and I'm most interested in launching a program or campaign to have sapient machines given more legal recognition as private individuals, including the possibility of citizenship.

From an intellectual standpoint, I'm ready and willing to go on such a story. But conceptually, I have no idea how to begin it.

Is anyone interested in pursuing a story like that with me? Jubar, I'm looking at you.

Jubar Bavvet
Senator
Senator
Custom Title: Politician
Organizational Unit: Rebel Alliance Political Party

Post by Jubar Bavvet » 2010-07-17 02:16

I am most interested in pursuing such a story--I only need to wrap up C1, and then work a little on an election campaign to get Jubar in the Senate (that'll take some RP finagling), and then I'm gonna have room to RP that kind of thing. May take a bit, maybe a month or so to clear up my schedule, but I've always got time to write on the side for NIF.

Thirty Seven
Freelancer

Post by Thirty Seven » 2010-07-17 04:47

Sounds good to me. It'll give me time to come up with some characters and a story. We can talk more about it over the weekend or some such.

Ra Jaye
Senator
Senator
Custom Title: His Excellency Senator of Barma
Organizational Unit: Imperial Senate [Barma Sector Representative]

Post by Ra Jaye » 2010-08-24 22:22

I have question about the one of themes here : Slavery -- hmm, what about genetic slavery? What if I produce some gene product to serve - it is slavery or not?

Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

Post by Kane » 2010-08-24 22:31

Ra Jaye wrote:I have question about the one of themes here : Slavery -- hmm, what about genetic slavery? What if I produce some gene product to serve - it is slavery or not?
Not as long as you pay them ;)

Jubar Bavvet
Senator
Senator

Post by Jubar Bavvet » 2010-09-17 05:01

Ace gave me a bit of room to fill in some "blanks" (get it, Blanks?) for the Senate since we've never officially named a Chancellor or a Supreme Chancellor, yet we have them as political ranks to be obtained--so, I introduce to you all Chancellor Merric Habnaw and Supreme Chancellor Reuben Edarra, who can be found in the Blank Characters section. I understand there are 12 Chancellor seats, and they are handpicked, so we'll say Habnaw is just one of them for now.

Just thought the Imperial Senate was a good place to announce this. Unless anyone has any objections, these will serve for story purposes in the various Senate threads, of which few of us have actually participated in, but just in case anyone needs to know about these guys, I've outlined their politics and positions, so that we can have something uniform to work with.

Anybody can use them, of course, and if you wish to obtain their ranks you will obviously have to do a significant amount of work in the Senate and beat them come election time.

Oh yeah, I also gave them their own Wiki pages. TTFM (ta-ta for now). ;)

TheChupaKing
Army Lieutenant
Army Lieutenant
Custom Title: Chupa La'Roi
Organizational Unit: Officer, Heavy Weapons Division

Post by TheChupaKing » 2010-10-18 07:20

Normally I'm the kind of person to rant off on something I don't like, and today's going to be no different.

1. Senator Blanks

I'll keep the first one simple enough: Shouldn't we be voting NOW on a Chancellor or a Supreme Chancellor, rather than just having a random blank?

2. Threads

This one's a bit more complicated; I know Ace has set down starting out threads with topics that would cause some back and forth conversations in the actual Senate, and Jubar and 37 do have their own threads running that are extremely interesting....but I can't touch them. For TUC, the plot is so far in, that the thread really isn't open anymore, and it doesn't say otherwise, so where are we expected to actually get involved? I mean, a civilization of droids suddenly pops up...and...the end...

3. Political Know-how

Simply put, I can't physically type up posts in here without comparing my knowledge of politics to Jubar, and realizing I just don't match up in comparison. I'm not mad at Jubar or anything, but I've heard before multiple times that he's viewed as "the best" on here...which certainly makes me wonder why I even try to post if someone reads it and doesn't really care either way...It's just really intimidating.

Just thought I'd get it off my chest, I've got enough stress on my plate in real life as it is.

Sometimes, you have to sit down, look at the board, then make your move. Running in, guns blazing, only leaves you with more bullet holes in your allies than yourself.

Tycho
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
Custom Title: Alpha Lead
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM

Post by Tycho » 2010-10-18 10:07

TheChupaKing wrote:Normally I'm the kind of person to rant off on something I don't like, and today's going to be no different.

1. Senator Blanks

I'll keep the first one simple enough: Shouldn't we be voting NOW on a Chancellor or a Supreme Chancellor, rather than just having a random blank?
Hmm, that's a valid point. If just one person creates the blank it does more or less make them 'owner' of said blank.
TheChupaKing wrote: 2. Threads

This one's a bit more complicated; I know Ace has set down starting out threads with topics that would cause some back and forth conversations in the actual Senate, and Jubar and 37 do have their own threads running that are extremely interesting....but I can't touch them. For TUC, the plot is so far in, that the thread really isn't open anymore, and it doesn't say otherwise, so where are we expected to actually get involved? I mean, a civilization of droids suddenly pops up...and...the end...
I'd say that so far the threads are on the route of 'make your own'. If the ones that are up aren't really that interesting I'm sure you could work out a thread with someone.
TheChupaKing wrote: 3. Political Know-how

Simply put, I can't physically type up posts in here without comparing my knowledge of politics to Jubar, and realizing I just don't match up in comparison. I'm not mad at Jubar or anything, but I've heard before multiple times that he's viewed as "the best" on here...which certainly makes me wonder why I even try to post if someone reads it and doesn't really care either way...It's just really intimidating.

Just thought I'd get it off my chest, I've got enough stress on my plate in real life as it is.
Some people are good at certain things, some are good at others. Not to brag, but I have a very large amount of political know-how through my three years of researching law and politics from U.S. - India relations, to U.S. environmental laws, and now to Russia - U.S. relations. As well as just other stuff I've learned along the way. Such as, did you know that Russia placed a ban on importing U.S. poultry (but I think it was removed recently) and other useless things like how the Russian FSB funds Chechnyan suicide bombers.... I don't know how I'd work that into a thread, but that's there. If you mean just workings like how the government works and such, wikipedia is a great personal resource (though not professional). Overall I think it just takes a different type of mindset than the usual (for me) blow stuff up and witty sarcasm posts. I definitely think that you are capable of posting in here and that people will definitely notice when/if you do. Once I get all my other stuff for different chars worked out I am planning on hopping over here as an uber-corrupt politician with questionable connections etc. As to 'best writer'.... I don't think anyone can claim that title. I'd say that Jubar is the most well-written, but that's different. I'd say that Fini is the funniest, but that's different too. Just depends on what you view as 'best'.

John Smith
Freelancer

Post by John Smith » 2010-10-18 14:06

TheChupaKing wrote:Normally I'm the kind of person to rant off on something I don't like, and today's going to be no different.

1. Senator Blanks

2. Threads

3. Political Know-how

I'll let you in on a secret...Political Know-How is not mysterious. Consider that any politician is just as human as you are, and really, politics are about creating new rules where previously there were none, or bending existing ones to cover things that originally were not covered.

Someone I respect very much once told me that no matter how good you are at something, there will always be someone better. Recognize that even if Jubar was the best writer on the site, there's always someone better than he is. That's not a knock on him by any means, its just a reality. He writes because he enjoys the process of telling a good story, and that - I'd like to think - is something that unites us here on NIF.

I certainly understand what you mean when you say its intimidating, but I think the best advice is to try and find your own voice in what you write. If you think someone on the site is a good writer, ask yourself why? And try to find the essence of the thing you enjoy when reading. Is it the detail? The atmosphere they describe? The clever word usage? Whatever it is, see how that writer does it, and try to incorporate it into your own work. The best way to overcome intimidation is to set yourself a goal - not necessarily for improving, but for learning something about the process.

As for becoming involved...We are a community of story tellers, and the story Jubar and I wanted to tell was very specific, with a definite goal in mind. So specific in fact, that we've taken our efforts outside of NIF and are jointly working on a side project - purely because we're both enjoying the project so much. If The Undiscovered Country seems unapproachable as a thread, its because we wanted it to be...for now. However, the story of the Droids of Source and John Smiths involvement in the Senate is far from over.

There are a number of things that will grow from this initial thread. First and foremost, it will bring the debate over droid rights to the forefront of the galactic consciousness. People will be thinking about it - no longer able to dismiss the concept of a "free droid" as a myth. Second, the subject will become increasingly tense, as the droids are seen more and more as "sentient" people will begin to recognize the implication that status brings with it - that if droids can reach sentience, then the entire galaxy has created a race of slaves, who are just now realizing they can achieve freedom. What will happen when John Smith declares to the Senate that any droid who passes their "Sentience Test" is a free droid? That it can no longer be considered property and the previous own is simply out of luck? This issue will very naturally evolve into a debate about slavery.

Third, my goal for the Machines is to ultimately have them revitalizing the Patch System, bring new industry and innovating existing technologies to become an economic giant. Their primarily scavengers, meaning they feed off the excess resources of other civilizations. Consider, however, that this parasitic practice ultimately leaves a civilization very economically fragile. Any system, be it mechanical, economic, or political, is balanced between efficiency and redundancy. Perfect efficiency is a state of Zero redundancy, but what that really means is that if any piece of that system fails, then the entire system comes crashing down. The more complex the system, the greater the crash.

What happens when the droids begin legitimate expansion into the galactic community, and begin consuming the excess economic resources of their neighbors? At first it will seem like a boon, but as soon the unfortunate civilization experiences a hickup, they'll suddenly wish they had the buffer room that excess once afforded them. This will become a serious argument against letting Source expand, and a point of great contention later on.

Additionally, I intend to explore the technology of Star Wars in different ways than we do in the R&D forum. This is a rich universe in that sense, but we often limit it to the concepts that have been established and take for granted the implicit innovations that would have naturally grown out of the technology that exists. I have no desire to turn Source or the machines' efforts to the production of tools for war, and I believe that realistically, no reasonable government would stand by while these machines built weapons that could one day be used against Organic civilization. But I will explore some ideas I have later on along these lines.

If you want to be involved in helping me tell Source's story, I'm open to working with anyone who's willing to explore the development of this society of machines with me. But too many times I've built a story in my mind only to have it derailed because someone else decided they wanted to tell a different story. I appreciate enthusiasm, but if you want to help tell this story, then I must ask that you send me a pm and tell me what you want to do.

I never close my threads, so you don't actually need my permission to post in them, but - as I said - I'm interested in telling a good story here, and if you wont work with me then (not to sound like a jerk, but) I'll simply ignore your posts and move on. If you want to work with me, then I most certainly will welcome it! But don't be offended if I throw up resistance to your ideas, or simply tell you "no". I'll work with you, if you work with me. Otherwise, don't bother.

So, Chupa, long story short: If you would like to become involved in the story that Jubar and I are telling (and this applies to everyone else as well, with certain exceptions I don't need to state specifically), then please send me a PM with what you want to do and, just as importantly, why you want to do it. We'll go from there.

Jubar Bavvet
Senator
Senator

Post by Jubar Bavvet » 2010-10-18 16:50

As for the Senator blanks, the Chancellor and Supreme Chancellor...Ace gave me the go ahead simply because I wanted to start writing in the Senate Forum, and to actually have Jubar set foot inside the Imperial Senate. But there was a problem. We've no Chancellor or SC. So I asked him if we should have one for the moment, and he said sure. He gave me the green light to create them, so I did, because I couldn't very well tell a story in the Senate with us all sitting around, talking and debating, and having nobody standing at the center hearing what we have to say.

Ace had a Supreme Chancellor that he kept nameless in the whole Ederlathh marriage and Unification thread, he said. He just never described the SC or gave him a name. So, there was a precedent, we actually have a SC, but who is he? So, I decided to fill the void of this nameless person for the time being.

The blanks aren't mine, they are ours. They are the community's. They're kind of unique in that way. If anybody controls them, it's Ace, they're just there to plug the hole for a time. If we want to vote on new ones and replace them--well, that was the idea. But so far, nobody has gotten anywhere near that political rank, so it was a quick-fix. I also didn't think it would be a problem because, quite frankly, nobody interacts with the Senate besides myself, and now John Smith aka JT. Fini has made a post, but that's been about it.

Short answer: The blanks aren't mine, and if we want to have some kind of in-game vote, we can do it. I don't have strong feelings one way or the other.

As for jumping into a thread--well, John Smith/JT pretty much hit all the highlights. As for feeling "intimidated", well, that was never my intention. I'm of a mind with JT, I never close my threads, but I never really invite people, either. To me, they're open to whoever as long as we understand that there was an original goal, a reason why this thread was opened. PMs are appreciated before you go diving in. The Undiscovered Country is, as JT said, a kind of "primer" for debate in the thread Ace opened up concerning the rights of AI. You may consider it a prelude or a prequel or whatever.

If you find you cannot "fit in" in any thread, then you may of course create a thread of your own, and discuss whatever you like on the subject you choose. I promise, no one's going to rip your throat out in here. ;)

Don't be too concerned if you don't feel you have enough knowledge in politics. Yes, there are rules to follow, a certain etiquette that's to be expected from a professional politician, but feel free to "explore" the SW universe with your imagination. Also, it has always helped me in the past to follow the old adages "write what you like to talk about," or "write what you know," so if you are not interested in the current threads and their goals--slavery, AI, or a banking crisis--you can create one of your own. It doesn't even have to have galactic implications, it could be a local issue. Perhaps a hunger shortage on some lonely, half forgotten world that isn't getting the foodstuffs and supplies it was promised when it joined the NIF? Or maybe laws on censorship, violence in entertainment, stuff like that?

Truly, it can be a terrific forum for expressing yourself, and your beliefs, in a way that no other threads can allow because they are typically so action-oriented. So, what would you like to talk about? Decide on that, and I think you'll do fine.

Cheers. :)

EDIT: Also, a little research is always good, and to me, it's fun. I still do research. That part of writing is never finished. And for me, that's half the fun of writing, but I know plenty of writers who abhor research. So yes, if you feel you need it, Wikipedia can be a good resource, a starting point from which to launch any research. I also read the news every day to see what's going on in the world, both the controversial and the dull. So sally forth, my brother! Sally forth! :D