Games of Power (Closed)

Forum rules
The Imperial Senate. Where the fate of the galaxy is decided.

Evethius Actonius
Senator
Senator
Custom Title: Senator for Seswenna Sector

Games of Power (Closed)

Post by Evethius Actonius » 2012-04-15 01:36

Flashing a billion-watt smile Evethius waved as he took his place on the podium.

"Friends, welcome. Today I announce my candidacy for the Senate seat that has fallen available in Federation wide election. The time has come for new leadership. For a new direction. For new ideas, and most importantly, for new results!"

The crowed cheered and Evethius smiled before continuing. He had spent days memorizing the speech so that he could give it without notes. It would make it seem like he was speaking from the heart, letting the passion for this sector, and its world flow forth and infect them all. The reality was slightly different, but not totally different. He continued.

"The old ways, the old conflicts, the old ideas have bred results that are simply not acceptable. Who among you is satisfied with a polluted world? Who amongst you is satisfied with a navy that looks more like a series of collection pieces than a strong navy capable of defending this sector and this world? Who amongst you is satisfied with an army garrison that has a size that resembles the numbers of aides my opponents can summon?"

The crowd roared in anger as Evethius took on a solemn expression, nodding in the same way that a authority figure such a parent or a judge would nod, an expression full of disappointment. He continued on.

"My friends. My opponents have displayed the old ways to try and discredit this campaign. They have levelled the most appalling accusations at me. They have said I was more concerned with a Senator's robes then serving the people of this sector. They have called me the pawn of families, corporations and even the military. To these people I saw how dare you! How dare you besmirch the name of our brave men and women in uniform? I do not recall any of these politicians that have ever risked anything other than a bad credit rating. And let me tell you this. If the military are supporting my candidacy it is simply because I want to fund them to the extent that they can protect us in a time of galactic instability, and to protect this planet and this sector with a garrison that will do the job. Am I to infer that my opponents are for the colonization of Eriadu?!"

The crowd responded as his communications advisors had expected and were roaring in anger. As Evethius stoked the anger of the crowd he then moved on to happier things as if he left them too angry there was always the chance he could riot. That could fatally damage his campaign before it even really began.

"My platform is simple. It is straightforward. As Senator I will ensure that we work to clean up the environment. This is not because I am anti-development, or because I want to prove that I am not the pawn of corporations, but simply because the people of this planet deserve a clean environment. As Senator I will ensure that this planet's true worth is known in all corners of the Federation and that it will be ably protected. As Senator, I will bring development to this planet. That will bring jobs and prosperity."

The crowd began cheering and hollering. Many were wearing clothing from his official campaign line. Rivoche had masterminded this aspect of his campaign and it proved to be a masterstroke. It kept a small amount of income flowing into the campaign and got his name out there. By using local manufacturers, he was even able to claim he was supporting local industry. He grinned at the cheers and moved onto the final part of the speech.

"I do not claim to have all the answers. And I do not claim that I will fix the problems of this great planet and this great sector in a day or even a year. But my question to everyone standing against me in this campaign is this. If you are all against me, what exactly are you for? I know what I am for. I am for security, prosperity and a good standard of living. But even putting that aside, I am *against* doing nothing while people suffer. I am *against* dismissing any idea that may help because it isnt my idea. Now to all of you opposing me, you have talked with people and looked into their eyes. Will you tell them that you wont do anything to help anyone unless you come up with this idea? Because I think there's something wrong with that, and thats why we need new leadership in this sector! My name is Evethius Actonius and *that* is why I want to be a Senator"

He waved to the crowd as Rivoche walked to him and they embraced as he kissed her gently on the cheek. The holocameras saw her wipe a tear from her eye and their walking off the stage holding hands. The cheering and hollering from the crowd nearly deafened him, but he managed a last wave as he was bundled into the hovercar by Amatius Amor and grinned as the door slid shut, sealing them in a soundproof bubble. Lieutenant Bretorius had the car checked multiple times a day with different scanners by different people to ensure that the hovercar would be a safe place for Evethius to discuss the campaign.

As he settled back into the seat, he ran a hand through his hair and exhaled. He then turned to Rivoche, searching for her assessment of the situation.

"Well?"

"You did well husband. But we're going to need more than your skills on the stump to win. We need credits to continue the advertising, and we need to start releasing detailed policies so that the people know we aren't just style without substance. The family will put up half, if you put up the other half. You also need to start getting around more. We need to bring the holocameras to every section of the sector"

Evethius grinned and nodded.

"Your advice as always is sound. I do not regret your position at the table wife. Alright. I'll speak to my friends to get some more funding. Now, can head back to the hotel? It has been a long, draining day."

"Yes. Driver, take us home"

The car sped on as Evethius dozed, Rivoche read through a datapad and Amatius sat in silence.

Evethius Actonius
Senator
Senator

Re: Games of Power (Closed)

Post by Evethius Actonius » 2012-08-11 15:47

3 STANDARD DAYS LATER...

Evethius had given more speeches, and attended a few rallies. The advertising had already commenced and was now saturating the HoloNet. Everyone in the sector, and everyone on the planet knew that he was running for Senator. Through Amatius they had greased a few palms so that word could be spread in the cantinas of the seedier parts of the city.

The adverts were part of a strategy that had a simple message. New Leadership, New Ideas, New results. It was a message of hope and renewal. In a system where the 5 great houses controlled nearly everything, simply his candidacy had breathed fresh new life into the contest. His marriage to Rivoche had proved a masterstroke, silencing any criticisms that he would be a Senator by remote control. He had also given interviews to friendly journalists, including those from the Federation, and had leaked a few photos of him with some soldiers. It had pushed his approval ratings to healthy numbers, but the race was far from over, and the mob was fickle. Anything could change in a minute and he had to be ready for it.

He was clean and refreshed from a nap as Rivoche turned to him and adjusted his hair with a smile. He smiled back as he spoke.

"Thank you. What is the event today?"

"We call it a town hall meeting. You will answer questions from an audience"

"Is that...wise?"

"You are at your best when working a room or a crowd....better than I thought you'd be. Play to your strengths husband"

Evethius grinned as Rivoche ushered him into the hovercar. All of this would bring him one step closer to the prize.

Evethius Actonius
Senator
Senator

Post by Evethius Actonius » 2012-08-12 15:42

"Good Evening, I'm Indix Crisix and welcome to tonight's town hall meeting with candidate for the Senate, Evethius Actonius. Tonights format will involve questions for the candidate that have been vetted by myself, but have not been seen by Mr Actonius. After these prepared questions have been asked, we will take some questions from the crowd. Alright, without any delays, lets get started"

The holocams moved around and applause flooded the small arena. Faces eagerly stared at Evethius, to see in the flesh the person they had seen on ads, on the news, and had talked about, or argued about. It was difficult to be in the system and not know that Evethius was running for the Senate. In fact, it was almost impossible. It annoyed more than a few people, and there complaints that came in at a steady pace to the office, but the simple truth was that he needed to get his name out there.

"Alright Mr Actonius. Question 1: If you became a Senator, what would be your policy priority and why?"

Evethius smiled a trillion watt smile before speaking. His words were delivered in the perfect pitch and tone.

"Well thank you for the question Indix. I'd just like to say its a privilege to be here tonight. I don't know that the people of this sector are going to be talking about Senatorial 'policy priorities' seems like a phrase they'd use in Bilbringi but not in Eriadu City and Moerix's Cantina"

As he paused the crowed laughed, and the moderator went slightly red as Evethius continued to avoid his discomfort

"It's simple really. First thing is security. Without security you cannot have prosperity, quality of life, or do anything you want to do. By security I mean defence forces that aren't barely capable of holding back a riot, but a proper defence force. A proper police force. A proper intelligence service. I will make security a priority. We are also in a dangerous time. Who knows what the next year will bring with the Republic, pirates or even aliens. Security, Security, Security is my answer to your question"

As he finished Indix had returned to his normal colour, and the crowed cheered and clapped as he smiled his trillion watt smiled and waited for the second question.

"Thank you for your answer. Question two: It's been said that you are too young for this role. How do you answer critics that point to your age?"

Evethius became grim and nodded, sipping a glass of water before he spoke.

"I don't need to be 50 standard years old to tell you, that there needs to be change. The leaders we have now aren't working for this city. I don't like to say its because of age, but rather the age of their ideas. This galaxy changes every day. We can't use the same old ideas and hope for the same result, thats just madness. I can also tell you this, my age shouldn't be the issue. My ideas should be the issue. But these opponents of mine are so scared that maybe people might listen to what I am saying that they are throwing all kinds of trash they can at me. I don't throw trash. I don't have the time for it, and neither does this sector. We're running out of time, and out of options, and all they can do is call be baby boy Senator. Well frankly, its disgusting. I may be young, but that is not a crime. What should be criminal is what has happened in this sector"

As he finished there was a subdued clapping and he offered a gentle smile, and looked out at the crowd projecting a little pain in his eyes. The truth was that question did sting, because Evethius knew in his heart of hearts, it was true. If it hadnt been for the raucous support of the military, Rivoche's connections, and a field that was as lacklustre as the green paste that Dravius ate for lunch, he would have been ignored.

"Question number three: What will you do to improve the economy of the sector, and can you do anything at all if you were elected?"

"Thanks Indix. To answer your question, im going to look at the second part first. That might seem a little strange, but its important. Its important because for some time now, we have heard the same rubbish from the elected officials that simply provide reasons why things cannot be done. None of them have had a single policy idea in the last few years. The question has to be asked, are they looking? are they trying? is it bribery or corruption? Why is nobody who was elected from this sector banging down the doors of the Senate chamber on behalf of this sector? Senators can help the economy. They can help with everything from tax credits, to finance for special projects, they can arrange trade delegations and bring publicity to new business. But most importantly, not having an effective Senator means you miss out. On government contracts, or on shielding yourselves from a nasty punitive provision from a Core World Senator."

At the mention of the last item, cheers rang out and there was a flood of applause. Evethius smiled warmly as he took another sip of water and continued.

"I will establish an Economic Development Commission whose task it will be two deliver to my office within 12 months of my election 20 projects that could be funded by the government of the Federation and the sector to create economic growth within the sector. I will arrange trade delegations from at least 20 new worlds in the first 18 months of taking office. I will assign staff from my office to meet with industry associations on a monthly basis to ensure that business has a voice that is heard!"

A few of the crowd stood and cheered wildly as the applause grew to its loudest. Clearly the economic issue had motived a more than a few of the people at this meeting. It was important to remember that even during a time like this, people often lived lives that were far far away from the big questions of galactic policies, and just cared about their own small lives where things like the state of the economy mattered much more, because if they couldn't sell their goods, then there would be no profit, which would mean that they would starve and possibly die. It was a harsh, cruel galaxy that was rarely fair, and that was why his proposals struck home so hard.

"Question four: What do you believe is the threat level of the Republic to the Federation?"

"Look im glad you asked that question. I think its obvious we are two different nations. We are. Our beliefs are different to their beliefs. We have struggled with them before. But you have to ask yourself this question, do they see us as a thread, and why? They are larger, they are wealthier, they can win a short war or a long war. I believe that some of the moves they have made are disturbing, and some of the battles we have fought, they have been the aggressor. I believe that there is always scope for diplomacy to keep us from war, but I also believe in a strong national defence in case it comes to war. So in the end, my approach is simple: Keep the channels of communication open, invite them to come and see that we just want to be left alone mostly, and prepare for our own defence in case they are the aggressor once again"

As he finished he smiled again as he took a sip of water, but it was a gentler smile, and the applause was muted. It was difficult to say if this was because of the seriousness of the question, or because he bombed badly on the answer. When the night was over and he was back in the hotel, the analysts would have the numbers and no doubt Rivoche would be there to give her own views on the night. Her counsel was always sought after.

"Final prepared question: What do you see as the role of a Senator?"

......well I have no idea...

Suppressing a chuckle, Evethius offered a smile for the holocams as he answered

"Great Question. Fundamentally, its a Senator's role to make the right calls when voting on matters before the Senate. When I say the right call, I mean the for the Federation. Its the interest of the entire Federation that comes first and always first. Now that might mean supporting a measure that is unpopular in your sector, but that is what being a Senator is about. Does that mean you ignore your sector? no. On the contrary because you are there for the highest purpose, you need to bring your sector into every meeting, every function, every debate, every committee meeting and every vote. Every day, you need to champion your sector. Every hour of the day you need to be thinking of ways to push your sector's interests. That, I believe is the role of a Senator"

The crowd was smiling and applauding, and few soft cheers rang out. As Evethius sipped the water, Idrix took over again.

"That concludes the first part of this town hall meeting. We will have a break, and pick up in one standard hour when you answer questions from the crowd!"

Evethius smiled as the holocams turned off and he stood up slowly. He was met by a few staffers who took him backstage. He grinned as he sat in a char in his waiting room and he exhaled slowly. It had seemed to go well, but the job was only halfway done.

Evethius Actonius
Senator
Senator

Post by Evethius Actonius » 2012-08-15 14:12

"And we're back. I'm your host Indix Crisix and lets move onto the unscheduled questions!"

The crowd cheered, half rising to their feet, hooting and hollering their approval. Evethius gave a warm and friendly smile. It was a charming kind of exuberance shown, like that you expected from children at their first play, or soldiers after their first training run had been completed to the satisfaction of the instructors.

"Raise your hands, I will select someone at random and we will bring you a microphone. Old fashioned it may be, but this is the spirit of the town hall"

Chuckles went around the group as half the hands went up. Indix pointed at a Rodian in a red jumpsuit who accepted the microphone graciously.

"Thank you Indix. My question is simple. You were born on Ralltir. You're not even 25 standard years old. You conned our military and you married a Tarkin. Tell me why I should vote for you?"

Murmurs rippled through the crowd and suddenly the attention was on Evethius. His face was grave, somber even as he spoke.

"Thank you for your question. The answer is simple. I'm not out to chase anyone's vote, including yours. I wasn't born in this sector, its true. I'm not 40, or 50 or even 30, its true. And my wife is of the Tarkin family. I'm standing for a simple reason. This sector needs better. It deserves it, but deserving doesn't mean anything. It warrants it, but that doesn't mean anything either. Sesswenna *needs* better. When its election day and you are alone in that booth. Ask yourself this. Who has the ideas, the plans, the drive and the passion to improve this sector. So you vote for who you want to, but thats why I am here"

The crowd cheered, and the applause was noticeably loud. Evethius was doing well so far, but there were four more questions to go...

Evethius Actonius
Senator
Senator

Post by Evethius Actonius » 2012-08-18 03:09

The microphone moved to the next questioner, a female Twi'lek. She was lithe and graceful enough to make the Rodian look as clumsy as a one handed Hutt as she graciously accepted the microphone and offered a quick smile, her sharp white teeth in contrast to the azure blue of her skin. More than a few of the males in the audience - and of different species at that - took an interest in the questioner.

"Thank you Indix. My question is this. Mr Actonius, what will happen to our personal freedoms? The last time we had a Tarkin in charge, there was a crackdown on all kinds of personal freedoms. Art, independent media, dress....will your legions of troops start arresting those of us who dance or sing?"

Evethius eyebrows arched up as he resumed a thoughtful expression. He had expected questions like the first, but not like this one.

....does she really think i care if we have courtesans? if people pay for pleasure then good! money will flow into the economy which is desperately needed in a time of war....

Evethius steepled his finger before he responded. He kept his expression somber and grave. These were after all matters he could not be seen to take lightly, although in truth her concerns were so low on the priority list, he would have expected that cleaning a Wookie's teeth would have been far ahead. Still, the question demanded a response..

"Thank you for your question. Put simply, I am not against art or self expression. I have no desire to oppress artists. But it is also true that a Senator is not in command of sector defence forces, and police forces. Like any of you, I like certain holo's and dislike certain ones. I'd rather have my own eyes out than watch A history of bees again"

The crowd chuckled, but the Twi'lek did not laugh, and instead stared at him, so he continued.

"The truth is that the Federation is not the Empire. We believe in personal freedoms. If I can be candid, my concern will be the external threat of the Republic Fleet, rather than the threat of somebody doing a bad impersonation of Emperor Kane"

The crowd laughed again and the Twi'lek smiled at him, satisfied. He returned the smile with a warm one that appeared genuine, and was genuine enough. The microphone made its way to the next speaker, a human male. He was tall and thin. His white hair showed his age, and he dressed in black.

"Thank you Indix. My question is to you Mr Actonius. All of this militarisation. Is it all necessary? There has been no declaration of war, there has been no comment from the Supreme Commander of the Fleets or the Emperor or the Supreme Chancellor that there is a threat against us. We have not had any commissions of enquiry, or fact finding commissions. There have been no reports. I can see no reason why we must waste billions of credits that could be used to create jobs and clean up the planet of Eriadu. So why is this necessary and are you just a warmonger that couldn't serve?"

Once again, murmurs rippled through the crowd and the audience strained to look at Evethius. The young politician simply shook his head as with the grave face he spoke.

"Thank you for your question. My position is simple, and clear. The Federation is not safe. The Republic is twice the size as has triple the firepower. The Hutts remain as ever, dangerous and powerful. The Corporate Sector remains hidden behind a veil of security intricacies that even a Jedi would have trouble unravelling. Cademimu is an entire criminal sector. You do not deal with these security concerns by commissioning a report. You do not deal with these concerns by committee. I am not running for the Senate to hand the fate of our Federation over to a committee. I would also venture that the Supreme Commander is busy trying to move the limited resources we have around to defend us on all fronts, working of course with the Emperor."

He paused as took a moment to sweep his gaze around the room, noticing that all eyes and indeed the holocams were on him.

"Your contention that a strong defence is unnecessary is with respect, dangerous. We have had men with that view in the Senate, and as the Second Fleet is moved to the front line so that we can survive, not expand, we are dangerously exposed. My policy is simple, the sector must defend itself. I am not however, opposed to cleaning up the environment. Eriadu must be cleaned, in this we are in agreement. We will find a way to do both, and the reason simply is because both must be done. Government is about finding the solutions to the complex problems. The solution to the problem of the environment will not be met by opening the gates to our enemies to Eriadu, the jewel in the crown of the Federation. Jobs will be created if I am elected through my economic policies. I am not saying that we can have it all, but we can be safe, secure, prosperous and swim in the rivers of Eriadu. This will be a task on the scale like which none have come before. But this sector ca do it. This sector took a barren region known as the Rim, and made it wealthy, vibrant and important. Together, we will do so again!"

He stood as up and inflected upwardly on the last few words, and the crowd got to its feet roaring its approval. The old man was lost in the sea of hollering, hooting and cheering. The chant of Eriadu, Eriadu, Eriadu could be heard until Indix stood up and coughed loudly into his microphone. Chastened, the crowd sat down, but with smiles on their faces. The microphone was passed to the final questioner, a Sullstan who appeared to be female from the looks of things.

"Thank you Indix, My question Mr Actonius, is the following, what can you do about crime in the sector? If Senators dont run the police, how can you say we will be more secure?"

Evethius gave a gentle smile as the Sullstan sat down.

"Thank you for your question. You know when I was little, my parents borrowed and borrowed credits looking for the big deal and the big payoff. Then a recession hit and we lost everything. We left the planet via a laundry freighter. My parents still talk about the fear of that time. A small child, no credits to their name, and living on a strange planet. They lived in fear for decades. I know what its like to live in fear. I think we start by looking at what causes crime. And the biggest cause of the kinds of crime that worries us the most, is poverty. We must create economic growth, stimulate jobs and grow the Sector's economy, which the current lot have failed miserably at doing. This will be the best thing we can do to put downward pressure on crime. The second thing we can do is to create a strong sector defence force. This will cut the flow of weapons, of drugs and of other items that help crime survive in the sector. These two things will be a start, and the best ways to cut the crime that you fear"

He looked at her with another gentle smile and she sat down with a smile of her own. Applause filtered through the crowd as the microphone was turned off and moved away as the focus shifted back to Indix.

"Well we had a lively conversation here tonight. Join us next week, when we have an exclusive on this network, a debate between the top two candidates in the race for Senator of Sesswenna!. I'm Indix Crisix, Goodnight"

As the holocams switched off, Evethius shook Indix hand and waved to the crowd as he moved backstage into the waiting room they had kept for him. He exhaled sharply and then grinned as he saw Rivoche. With a look all the others in the room left and they were alone. Slowly he moved to her and stared into her eyes.

"What did you think?"

"You did very well. Dravius was right, you are brilliant on the stump. Well done husband. We have the debate, and then a joint interview. If you can get through those unscathed, we might just be calling you Senator yet"

Evethius grinned and took his wife in his arms.

"I think I am just Evethius to you wife"

It was her turn to grin as her eyes sparkled and the two kissed. Evethius was relaxed for the first time that day, but it would he short lived. The debate would make or break his campaign, and he would need a flawless performance combined with a big margin in order to secure the seat in the Senate.

Much could go wrong in this Game of Power.