Organize our recruitment efforts.
Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

New recruitment page

Post by Kane » 2011-04-12 12:34

I'd like to set up a new recruitment page. We'll use the video on it, of course.

On this we should a) list benefits b) advantages and c) member reviews.

Benefits are things like message inbox, chat channel, avatar and signature privileges, various board styles to pick from, no advertisements, unlimited bandwidth, wiki.

Advantages can be things like free to play, firm storyline, no advertisements. Full membership privileges from day one, no special accounts. The freedom of a diceless, non-numeric roleplaying form. No minimum size post requirements although length and quality is encouraged. Combines advanced storytelling with an open for all system.

Well, anything you'd like to call benefits or advantages really. It's possible you have experiences from other boards to compare with that you'd like to bring up, for instance.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Re: New recruitment page

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2011-04-12 16:51

Don't we already have a recruitment page? Why don't we rehab that?
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Custom Title: Fleet Commander, Self-Proclaimed Bartender, Baron
Organizational Unit: Third Fleet, Task Force Conquest, ESD Intimidator

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-04-12 19:31

Maybe everyone should write a little review of the site? Could be anything along the lines of what's found on this page to an essay maybe? I'm not exactly sure what sort of criteria we should be after but why not just start with asking all our active members to submit their own review in a style and length of whatever they see fit?

In fact, we could also have them list what the believe the advantages and benefits are. It doesn't necessarily have to be in their review, but just a few buzzwords that they would associate with the two topics?
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Dravius Stari
Marshal
Marshal
Custom Title: Director of Imperial Space Force Operations

Post by Dravius Stari » 2011-04-12 21:10

So my thoughts on this are out of the box but well...its me, when am i ever conventional?

My idea would be a little different. Less essayish, more advertise-ish.

Have a separate button at the top next to members that says joining or how to join or something like that. That takes you to a page with links to the manual and wiki, and has the video in the centre of the page which some pictures and testimonials - a few short lines - rather than page long reviews.

Bullet point the benefits of membership, and the advantages of membership.

Anyway, just a thought :)

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-04-12 22:58

Essentially, I want to improve this page.

Video link up top, followed by a short site description, possibly with a link to the full wiki page.

Then a short listing of benefits and advantages.

I intend to make reviews in spoiler button form, so they can take up some room.

So what do I need then? Material. Ideas are fine too.

Dravius Stari
Marshal
Marshal
Custom Title: Director of Imperial Space Force Operations

Post by Dravius Stari » 2011-04-14 13:05

Kane wrote:Ideas are fine too.
Careful what you wish for!

Why bury it in the database? - bring it to the front I say. We shouldn't be shy about trying to get new members, and I think if we have a link saying join/recruitment or whatever heading we use it will help us get more members.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Custom Title: Fleet Commander, Self-Proclaimed Bartender, Baron
Organizational Unit: Third Fleet, Task Force Conquest, ESD Intimidator

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-04-14 16:43

Is there a way to move the link to the Welcome thread out into the main page so it's visible from the get go? I know people would probably click on it after clicking on any of the other forums, but if we could toss that thread out as the very first thing people see with a message like "start here", I don't think it could really hurt.

I also agree with Drav, we shouldn't force people to navigate through a database or even the main board itself just to find the recruitment page. I suppose the one good thing about EZB was the side bar that had the "start here" link (if my memory serves correctly). Is there a way to add a side navigation bar to the main page? Toss on the important links like the aforementioned "Start Here", Database, IRM, Chat and any other useful links and presto, a handy-dandy, easy to see, quick to use and intuitive little navigation bar to help newcomers!
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-04-14 19:32

Well, the idea isn't so much to hide it as to construct a suitable html page.

The side bar wasn't part of ezboard, it was custom code. I considered it when I set up the phpbb forums, but decided against it in the end as being too constricting.

There's very few suitable phpbb themes which includes top menus, but I've considered that too. Adding one to an existing theme could be quite a bit of work, and there's only so much time to go around.

Jubar Bavvet
Senator
Senator
Custom Title: Politician
Organizational Unit: Rebel Alliance Political Party

Post by Jubar Bavvet » 2011-04-14 21:38

If it's written material you need, I can do it. Be glad to. Just let me know when you're ready, give me a word limit, whether it's supposed to be in-character or out, what you want the content to be, et cetera. Unless you have something in mind already, Ace.