A Little Light Reading...

Moderator: S.T.A.R.S.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

A Little Light Reading...

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2011-08-23 05:29

(OOC: This thread was started with a suggestion from Jacen after I asked how to further Spyker's study of the Force. He suggesting working with Palpatine's Book of Anger, and so this is hopefully going to be a decent look at Spyker's interpretation of the Book. The sources I have right now is the excerpt from the Dark Empire Sourcebook and this site here but if anyone has better sources, I'd be happy to take a look. Enjoy, and feel free to give me feedback; I'm still very new at this whole Force thing ;)

Addendum 3/5/2012: With the events of C1M32, the focus has changed to a general exploration of the Sith Code as it applies to Spyker. This thread is likely to wrap up soon because of it.)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
--The Code of the Sith

The Force was in him now, this much he knew. However, he was still unskilled, untrained, in all but a single facet of it. He sought more, but did not know the way. His master--no, that was the wrong word, for no man could be his master--his commander was missing, off on a secret mission for the Omega Order once more, leaving him to his own volition and direction, and so he reverted to old habits as a member of the elite Special Warfare Command. Events that had transpired at a recent gathering of people from around the Federation had given him a goal, but no means to get there. He was without a lead, a way from points A to B, and needed to grow more first before he could continue.

First though, a shower. Running water was generally a luxury, but it was common for SPECWARCOM units, as they were often deployed to areas without any facilities at all, and the Federation gave them a deserved break upon returning. Sonic showers were good, but after a long week or so running an operation, hot water was downright heavenly.

Spyker Katarn stood there, letting the water bead over him and soothing the sore muscles; an operation on Thyferra was canceled at the last minute when intelligence revealed resistance would be too much for a lone operative. He'd been there for a week, and to have the opportunity snatched away at the last minute was somewhat irritating for the sergeant. It didn't help matters that the new Director of Special Warfare Command favored using the Direct Action Teams over the solo operators, but that was above Spyker's paygrade.

Spyker wiped away the steam that had formed over the mirror and stared at the person looking back. He could hardly recognize it from the person he once was; battle had aged him, and each one had its own story. That puckermark on his torso was the result of a rare slugthrower bullet fragmenting on contact. Another angry looking scar was the result of a fight on the water planet of Deyer; that injury couldn't have been treated by bacta, so the docs were forced to use the inferior product of kolto instead. More scars revealed signs of torture, some by the NR, others by people he used to associate with, but all left their marks.

The sergeant shook his head, clearing it of the memories. He pulled on his off-duty wear, and set about getting some shuteye; when he reached his rack though, he saw an unfamiliar object laying on top of it. It was a datapad, but one unlike any he'd ever seen: jet-black, with only the Tionese letter omega adorning its back in silver. Spyker flipped it over again to look at the screen, and hit the power toggle. The display lit instantly, and a message from Kyp appeared, telling him to read it in the man's absence.

To the soldier, the message had the force of an order, so he sat down, reclined on his rack, and began to read.

'The Book of Anger? Strange title..."
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tenet the First: Passion v. Anger

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2011-09-27 05:25

Sweat dripped from Spyker's brow as he held the form, blade in hand in an overhand block. He had been at it for an hour and a half, building up the muscles he needed to be an effective fighter with the long blade. It was not only the swordsman training he sought, however; he was also turning over in his head the meaning of the fabled Book of Anger. He snapped the blade forward in what would be a parry of an opponent's slash as he started his thinking again.

The novice Dark Jedi had had the Sith Code explained to him, as it was to all new acolytes upon their initiation. A philosophy contained within only six lines of Basic, it formed the base of all the traditions the Dark Jedi adhered to. The first of the tenets was that peace--serenity, to followers of the Light--was a lie; passion was all there was. This tenet was easily one of the more difficult to understand for the lifelong soldier; he knew inner calmness from his training as a sniper. Without it, the hand shook, the eye was unsteady, and the aim untrue. Peace, then, had to exist... or did it?

He ruminated on this for a while as he fought his imaginary opponent, thrusting and slashing with wide strikes and quick, forceful jabs. In his training with Kyp, he had found the training he had received as a sniper to be a hindrance; it restricted him from calling upon the Dark Side as he knew he should. His usual approach, of calming his mind and stilling his emotion for a better shot, was useless when what he needed was the hot passions unleashed in combat.

He knew of them, had even felt their stirrings, but had only unleashed their awesome power once on Cinnagar, on an opponent who thought the noncom was broken, bruised, and bleeding, and the results were horrific. Spyker had thrown a large stalactite at the man before pummeling him with repeated hammerfists. Unfortunately, this burned him out, but he wondered if he could moderate the action. Such things would need to wait until he felt strong enough to attempt a controlled release of that power, however.

'Okay, so passion is powerful, but peace can be just as strong. Each has its uses in combat, so moderation is the key.' It was a very un-Sithlike thought, that was, but it was one he could understand, and approve of. The life of a commando was one of greys and not simply black or white; as such, he found it easier to accept that for what it was.

Palpatine's version of the Code, though, had one small but important change: instead of there being only passion in lieu of peace, there was specifically anger. This, Spyker could not accept. The Dark Side could not derive its power from anger alone; it would perish in its absence, much like fire perishes in the absence of a fuel source or oxygen. Anger was the easy way of tapping its vast power, the path of least resistance to its growth, but could not be the only means; his commander, Kyp, was living proof of that. His love for his children sparked his touch of the power, and although that had turned to anger as the scope of their kidnapping had come to light, the Dark Side was still stoked by the influence of his other passions, right? He needed more time to consider this.

Placing that into a mental box for later investigation, he moved on to the next section of the code, sweating his thoughts out and pouring them into the blade, letting his passion flow through him, and outward. It was warm, and it beckoned.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Tenet the Second: Strength v. Fear

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2012-02-09 07:19

(OOC Note: This takes place prior to Kyp's death; the next post will be some time after it, and likely after both Fallen and the Frozen Wastes threads.)

Braap! The sound of blasters filled the air of the shipboard shooting range as Spyker entered the facility. It was nearing time for him to requalify with his service weapons, as all Army personnel had to do on a quarterly basis, and Spyker's time was drawing close. He checked out his normal selection of weaponry, as well as a couple new pieces of kit: a "Katipo"-series sniper rifle, fresh from the factories of Intragalactic Defense Systems, and a Compact Magnetic Coil Gun, a revamping of an ancient design by Imperial Munitions. Rumor had it that several members of the Army were involved in the latter's development, but those were but rumors.

He collected some ammo for each, and took a spot on the firing line. Each weapon was lined up, as was his habit when training, and methodically loaded with a clip each, save the DC-15s and its nuclear battery. Grabbing this last weapon, he powered it and sighted in. As he held it, he thought back to when he first held a weapon. It was heavy in his 13-year-old hands, he remembered, and the flash of light and sound that emanated from it scared him. Since those first few shots, he had grown comfortable with all manner of weaponry, and drew strength from that confidence in his own abilities.

That first memory got him thinking as he began to fire, though; the second tenet of the Sith Code was based in fear, according to Palpatine. Power derives itself from that fear, he said, but the standard code derived power from strength as the third tenet, after drawing strength from one's passions. Fear was one of the most powerful motivators to control, able to control entire populations with the proper application through demonstration as Palpatine himself once did, or just one individual when alone as he saw, or rather heard, during his time on Mimban.

The thought made Spyker somewhat uncomfortable, but he understood the implications. The easiest way to hold power was through making the population fear you, for they were less likely to take advantage of you in the end. Unfortunately, it also was the undoing of many warlords; Ysanne Isard knew that for a fact, Spyker mused.

Satisfied with his sidearm's performance, Spyker replaced it on the bench and picked up the same DC-17m he had grown so very comfortable with during his time with the Federation. With a precision borne of repetition, he sighted in at his target and let loose a burst of ion rounds. He saw them impact downrange in a shower of blue sparks, frowning at the small inaccuracy. With a small tool, he adjusted the sights again, his thoughts returning to the Book, and a new question that had arisen in his mind. If power was solely derived from fear, then what stopped rulers from simply eliminating anyone they could not control?

After another burst, he figured that to have power, it would be the careful employment of fear; like anything else, it was a tool that, when used correctly, could do so much more than if used indiscriminately. It should be a sniper rifle, like the Katipo in front of him, focused and precise, instead of a repeater, clumsy and inaccurate. The irony of the conclusion didn't escape him; in essence, his very role in the army, that of one of SPECWARCOM's elite operators was the embodiment of this tenet. He was often sent in, alone, to strike fear in the enemies of the Federation by leaving nothing behind but the results of his work. That was his calling, and in a way, he relished it.

For a moment, he returned to his shooting practice, and felt Carefully placing down the Deece, he collected the Katipo from where it lay, and dialed in a new target, this one approximately 300 meters away. He admired its sleek lines and bullpup styling before inserting a gas cartridge into the receiving port and starting the firing routine over again.

The slower pace of the Katipo helped him bring his conclusions in order. First, fear was not in and of itself power; one can not effectively have power through the sole employment of fear. However, fear was an instrument that could be used to acquire power through its strategic use. Again, as he had found in his meditation on the first tenet of Palpatine's assertions, moderation was the key; fear has limited value on its own without anything else to back it up, but it was a versatile tool nonetheless. It was not the intended conclusion Palpatine had wanted, he was sure of that, but it worked for him, and that was the important part.

Noting his accuracy was slipping, Spyker ceased his meditations, for now; there was a task to be done. Later, he may return to his ruminations, but for now, he simply smiled, and fired again.