Moderator: S.T.A.R.S.

Blitzkrieg
Brigadier
Brigadier
Custom Title: Operative Zeta, SWC
Organizational Unit: Director, NIF SPECWARCOM

A Short Chat, A Shorter Leash

Post by Blitzkrieg » 2012-02-06 07:18

The Inquisitor was, like any other Imperial vessel, well-maintained and spotless even when it was undergoing a bad day of maintenance and the crews were slacking. Of course, the issue never came up for this ship; she had once served as the NIF's flagship, and was still seen in such a light by some, even if the Nemesis was now the lead ship of the fleet. Nothing was allowed to stain such a prized jewel of the Imperial Navy, and everything was perfect, from the glow of the lights to the reflections in the gloss-shined walls. It was a scene like this that often made the high-colonel consider transferring back to the mighty ship, relocating his unit onboard, but there was no need for such a move...and while the Inquisitor was doubtlessly up to the task, there were smaller ships available that were vastly better equipped to handle the task.

But Wolfgang wasn't here on business related to Special Warfare Command...at least, not directly. The ogranization occasionally took members of the larger Special Operations community, and borrowed them for short assignments; in that sense, this could be construed as work relevant to his organization, although that was really a stretch. Truthfully, he was on the mighty battleship to take care of a matter that had come up involving a potential Special Forces candidate. The fact that this recruit was a junior lieutenant--and from what he could tell, not long removed from OCS--didn't sit well with him, but he was willing to sit through it; maybe the kid would at least prove entertaining. At the very least, someone had to sit in while the actual Director of Special Operations was out on leave, and Wolfgang had served the post before. He could feasibly serve it again in a pinch, though this was more than sufficient given his other, more delicate resposibilities.

The meeting he had early on today, one among many in his "official" duties for the day, was a strange one...but he had to admit, he looked forward to how it would proceed. A lieutenant not long from her classes had deemed herself fitting to work with NIF Special Forces, even though regulations required a promotion be earned before candidacy, as a requirement of eligibility. He was willing to hear her out, naturally; anyone who had the sheer gall to think themselves that good deserved at least a chance, however slight, to argue the case. However, she wouldn't have terribly much time to do that; he didn't want all of his day wasted, and time was at a premium when matters of the Special Forces community were concerned. Too much work to get done, and all that.

The meeting room itself commanded a grand view of the galaxy through both the holomap projection in the room's center, and the viewports along the far wall; standing calmly at the viewports, Wolfgang maintained parade rest, simply waiting for the girl to arrive. At this point, the entire meeting rested on her; even offering his time to listen and hear her out, he'd be damned if he was going to make this easy for her.
Last edited by Blitzkrieg on 2012-03-26 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

Atreyu_True
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Custom Title: Scarlet Whisky Rose

Re: A Short Chat, A Shorter Leash

Post by Atreyu_True » 2012-03-23 20:35

Grenna shifted uncomfortably to ease herself down into a sit on the bed, settling her right leg outward to alleviate the bite of the cast from the crook of her knee. Atreyu had already gotten up late from her nap after training, an abandoned mug with a neat stamping of lipstick on the brim betraying how tired she still was. Grenna had been hearing her talk about this meeting for weeks now; one would think that the young private would take more initiative in getting ready on time, as opposed to being roused violently by a woman on crutches, no less.

Aetrigan ran a hand through her gently damp hair, holding a bottle of a sweetly-scented fragrance mist, spritzing the flaxen strands with a vengeance before brushing it all up into a bun. Rumor had it that the High Colonel was a major hardass, and it didn’t seem kosher to show up smelling like the cigarra she just had. Grenna watched and continued her little brief of the man as she watched from behind Atreyu. “The last guy who apparently gave him crap came out of the office looking very scared and sorry for himself, so please… please do not take that as a challenge to get a rise out of him.”

The private turned to look at her, a brightly sweet and coy smile gracing her lips as she batted her lashes dollishly in feigned innocence. I? You mean that I could be suspected of such mischief?” She chuckled, punctuating her comment by flicking the last button on her blouse as she fastened it. “You must have me mistaken with somebody else. I have done nothing of the sort.”

Grenna ‘tch’-ed in irritation before continuing; For as much she loved Atreyu for her flippant nonchalance, if she wanted to be difficult it was definitely her own funeral. “Speaking of rumors… there is also word that he’s involved with some little Navy girl. Probably some brainless Corpsman who doesn’t know any better.” Atreyu clicked her tongue, a smirk playing at her lips.

“Ooh, dipping the high and mighty officer’s pen in enlisted ink. Scaaaandalous. Inwardly, she seethed: Leave it up to some lazy, sparkling little pretty-boy brass to sit on his backside and take advantage of the subordinates beneath him. Typical. For as nervous as she was, she very well intended on letting the High Colonel know that she was not-- and would not --be daunted by him or his ego by any means. Throwing weight around and pulling rank did little to impress her, and if he did as much she would be quick to let him know it.

“…But you didn’t hear that from me.” Grenna swiveled herself around on her crutches, Atreyu fixing her cover on her head before the two young women walked out together toward the briefing room. Atreyu knew that she had not been promoted enough to join the ranks of Special Operations, not yet; but at least this way, she knew that she would be able to make her intentions known, get her foot in the door. It was something.

They reached the meeting room, Atreyu spinning in a small circle once before smiling at Grenna. “Well, do I look the part?”

She gave her a quick once-over, her face playfully made up. “You look terrible. Dreadful, even. You don't have that weary "I-hate-my-job" vapidness, actually look motivated to be here, and you don't have the stench of pretentiouness about you. All in all, this has been a wasted effort on your part.”

Atreyu had to bite back a short laugh at her observation, quirking an eyebrow upward mirthfully. “Well. If that is what you think, at least I can’t be accused of trying too hard. Even so, let us see if this little cheer squad is worth the trouble.”

Grenna smiled, patting Atreyu encouragingly with a gentle swat to her leg with a crutch. “Good luck. If you come back in under an hour, I‘ll be disappointed. Anything over that and I‘ll be alerting the medical bay.”

Haha.

Blitzkrieg
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Blitzkrieg » 2012-04-04 05:23

Wolfgang shook his head as the door sealed behind the second-lieutenant, a frown forming on his face. He didn't turn to look at her right away, instead enjoying the view of the galaxy beyond. "You are late," he said calmly, eyes not once leaving the wondrous view that he had. In the great expanse beyond, a single comet streaked off in the distance, some fragment of an aged collision of celestial bodies. "And with that," he continued, "any real chance for us to speak prior to our other guests arriving is gone. On top of that, you smell of coffee, perfume, and cigarras. No....you are not ready. I shudder to think of what it will take to make you truly ready."

Sighing, he finally turned around, narrowing his eyes to get a good look at her. The lieutenant was, in short, ready only in part. She had the physical build to at least be reforged in the proper style...she could be made tougher, more resilient. Mentally, however....well, his earlier assessment stood. "I have three officers due to arrive within a few short minutes; they are representatives of the Special Forces department. Given what I could glean of your nature from your profile, they were selected as representatives of the branches of Special Forces service to which you would most likely gravitate. If, after this meeting, you feel that there are other opportunities you wish to explore, feel free to let me know. Until they arrive, you have permission to speak freely." His gaze did not waver from her, their eyes locked. "When they do, I expect that you will contain what your commander called a 'biting, whiplash-like sarcasm.'"

Atreyu_True
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Atreyu_True » 2012-04-05 01:06

Atreyu bit back a quick snort of laughter from behind the High Colonel, though she would never admit that she had already become mildly irritated with his dismissive presumptions of her character. Still, she was slightly disturbed that he had been able dissect the array of scents that had colored her precise activities from the last half hour; the fact that she had attempted to cover up her cigarra smoking by using perfume was not so remarkable, but how had he known that she had been drinking stimcaf whilst doing so? Who-- or what, for that matter --was he? He was definitely a pretty boy- by the looks of him, his bulk had corroded away what little brain matter he had to begin with.

She masked her discomfort with another laugh, audibly this time. "Well, a pleasure to meet you, Sir. My apologies for my tardiness." She did not know the High Colonel's name specifically, though more than enough about his reputation. Still, if he would not offer it to her, she certainly would not deign to ask. 'Permission to speak freely', as if she were some little trained lap dog. The nerve!

"Yes, yes; the Commander is rather poetic, isn't she? I have been subject to more than one of her little melodramas, to be sure. Some women just don't handle the stress of the military very well." She smiled insincerely. "And I assure you, Sir: Should the situation not present itself, I shall have no need to be my wonderful, charming self. Shame, really. Wit, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.. I mean, a twelve-pack helps, but to each their own."

The Second Lieutenant visibly brightened as she suddenly remembered another little detail from her informal brief from Grenna; indeed, if he wanted her to speak freely for the time being, she would happily oblige him. He hadn't even seen sarcasm yet.
"However, I have been meaning to ask you: I've heard word that you have an interest in the Navy, though you've served in the Imperial Army for so long." The question was worded carefully, but deliberate. Atreyu could already feel the start of a mischievous smile pull at the corners of her lips. "D'you suppose it would be better in... you know, the Navy... Sir?"

Blitzkrieg
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Blitzkrieg » 2012-04-18 01:41

Wolfgang sighed, keeping his gaze fixated on the second lieutenant. There was a cruel-looking smile on his face, one that seemed to speak of a silent understanding of the woman's attempts at humor. No, he didn't like it, but he could definitely understand it. The understanding alone could make it tolerable, even if it wasn't something he ever planned on enjoying. "Mein frau..." he began, bowing his head politely, "I suppose you have been paying rapt attention to the rumor mill more than to your own commander; I suspect I shall have to deal with her separately for her failure to instill in you a proper sense of discipline. Be that as it may, the nature of my relationship with Lady Winte'Shrine is none of your immediate concern...nor should it be." Before he could continue, there came a knock on the door, at which the high-colonel smiled a more genuine smile. "Yet it appears that we shall have no further time for idle banter. The guests are beginning to arrive. Best behavior, please; you can be your uncouth self when this is over."

The door opened, and in walked a woman who appeared to be in her mid- to late-twenties, possessed of a finely-toned physique and a keen awareness to match. Her uniform was crisply pressed, and she walked in looking every bit the proper image of an Imperial officer. Offering her a proper salute, Wolfgang turned to Atreyu and nodded. "Lieutenant, meet Major Sorensen. She runs one of our more successful commando teams, the StormRavens. I'll let you two get to know each other a little better while the others make their way here."

Atreyu_True
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Atreyu_True » 2012-04-21 11:03

Atreyu was unimpressed by what she deemed was the High Colonel trying to peacock about, her face still irritatingly coy at him as she smiled. So, the little Navy girl had a name.. and was a noble, at that. To the Second Lieutenant, a noblewoman in the Imperial Navy sounded about as useful as a two-legged chair with no seat. She sniffed at the thought pettily.

"I was just hoping to gain some insight, Sir. I assure you, a sense of wit has very little to do with a lack of discipline." Of course, she did not find it necessary to add that when she truly felt inclined that she could very well act the part of a model officer. She had fantastic marks in the academy, and she would proudly state that she also had an equally impressive record of demerits to match. Uncouth was certainly not the word she would have used for herself, but she was... well, she made damned sure that she was something.

The young woman did her best to brighten as the Major entered, still intent on keeping her promise to behave only if the need did not arise. She gave a respectful nod, then crisply saluted as soon as the proper introductions were made. It made for a considerable effort in the silence that followed for Atreyu to curb her tongue and say something sincere as she moved smoothly back into attention.

"Ma'am." She took a deep breath. Stick up there, somewhere?
"It is a pleasure to meet you. I am very honored that you made time for this meeting today on my behalf."

Blitzkrieg
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Blitzkrieg » 2012-04-24 04:58

Wolfgang chuckled briefly as he watched the two women converse. It would be a short chat, and he doubted that they would gain much traction with each other before the others arrived,but such as it was, it was better than nothing. Personally, he'd had his fill of the lieutenant already, and would be grateful when this damned meeting was over. Already, he longed to be able to go home, to hide someplace where this madness wouldn't get to him, if for only a few hours.

Before he could get to pondering that, the second knock came to the door. Shortly after it sounded, three more figures walked into the room, one of them a youth that looked barely at the end of his teens. On seeing the youngster, the high-colonel's right eyebrow arched up slightly in concern, though he paid it no immediate mind. There was business afoot. "Colonel Thorne, Lieutenant-Colonel Kessler; good of you to arrive. I trust the young one will understand if I wait until later for proper introductions?" Kessler nodded, as did the young man at his side. Wolfgang was curious--at least a little--as to what a civilian was doing here and now, but frankly, there were other opportunities to learn, and there was nothing classified about this particular meeting that the kid could potentially leak, were he a mole.

Calling the meeting to attention, Wolfgang went through introducing the two other officers for the lieutenant. Jerrek Thorne was first, the senior of the two. Though he didn't look the role, he was an imposing man nonetheless, if only because of the way he carried himself, and the feel of the room when he was there. One of the NIF's rare Victory-class Dark Troopers, he bore the touch of the Dark Side, and that particular strength manifested itself even when the body of its host was...lacking. After him came Ryon Kessler, a man of strong build...and a lot of steel and circuitry adding to an already-domineering form. Behind it all, there was a kind face, as though a man who knew the harshness of war, yet refused to succumb to it. Such was the nature of some people, and it made the Exogen DT a bit more..easygoing, as a result.

Snickering to himself when he was finished, the high-colonel turned and faced Atreyu, offering her a smile. "Lieutenant, I'll let you ask any questions you may have of myself or the officers here." Briefly, he turned his attention to Ryon, still smiling. "And when that's all done...perhaps, Colonel Kessler, you can explain our other visitor?"

Atreyu_True
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Atreyu_True » 2012-05-03 00:35

The Second Lieutenant’s brow rose archly as three new visitors entered the room, and she allowed herself a lightly amused chuckle when she noticed that the High-Colonel had the exact same reaction. She had not realized that it was ‘Take Your Child to Work Day’ and had opened her mouth to say as much before quickly clamping it back shut, remembering her promise.

Her mind idled over what kind of circus Special Operations must have been to allow… well, this, during a meeting. Atreyu seethed at the thought that perhaps they had already written her off as unsuitable for the organization before the meeting had even begun, pretending to business of import and using the time instead to coke and joke with each other.
Typical brass.
She quickly had to school her reaction before her gaze fixed venomously upon them all, contempt rising in a wave within her.

At the High-Colonel’s behest, her mind desperately thought of something poignant to ask, her cheeks staining red at the realization that she couldn’t think of anything above something to snidely remark on. Her gaze quickly flitted over them for something meaningful to say, until her observations finally afforded her something of use.

“I was just thinking, Sir, that you all seem to have cybernetic implants.” She had hoped against hope that they would take her question as sincere, as for once she actually had been. “If I may be so bold to ask.. would that be required of me? If I were accepted, I mean.” She feared that she would pop a blood vessel if she had to continue this any longer, the urge for her to speak as she pleased gnawing at her as her true thoughts caught within her throat like lead. Not here, not now. She managed a smile.

“…Or shall I say when I am accepted?” She nodded her head toward the youth that had entered, constructing her joke carefully. "I mean, if the kid can do it, surely I have some hope?" It was a small quip and definitely a mild one for her in all regards, but it would not do to stand there looking flustered and sorry for herself for a team that obviously sought individuals with more mettle for their ranks. It was a bit of a gambit, and she wanted this badly; but they were either going to accept both the best and worst of her, or not at all.

Blitzkrieg
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Blitzkrieg » 2012-07-07 04:58

Wolfgang waited--rather patiently, he had to admit--for the lieutenant to finish with her inquiry before he bothered to respond; he could somehow tell, after all, that there was some additional commentary waiting just behind the woman's question, some words that would potentially drive him to frustration. He was pleased to note that such was not entirely the case, though perhaps it was due in some significant part to the fact that he had expected the words to come. He, too, was not completely thrilled with the youngster being in the room, though he presumed that the officer escorting him had good reason...a reason that could be addressed at a later time. "Colonel," he said, noticing with no small measure of irritation that the youth had not yet made any motions to leave the room, and had not been directed as such, "that means the boy may leave. Now. I will entertain his reason for being here later, in a more private discussion."

The high-colonel let only a brief glimpse of a smile cross his face as the young man was escorted quietly from the meeting. When the door closed behind him, Wolfgang spoke again, the smile beginning to get back into his voice. "Besides which, it's not the boy's meeting right now, and we should be focused on what is on the schedule today." Giving Ryon a quick nod with a rather sharp glare hidden behind it, he turned his attentions back to the second-lieutenant. Calmly, he gestures to two of the troops in the room: Major Sorensen and Colonel Throne. "I think, lieutenant, that perhaps you are looking too hard at those that do have them... They do attract attention, but no, they are not entirely required. It's dependent on the particular unit into which you are absorbed.

"That, after a fashion, is why these three officers are here. You will be allowed to shadow each of them, learning how their teams operate." Wolfgang took a slight pause to catch his breath. "Specifically, you will be authorized to attend and participate in training details with each of their respective teams; with the exception of the Victory-class Dark Troopers, you will be considered eligible for field deployment on a trial basis after the completion of your shadow session. Final approval rests with Special Forces organizational command...and where your little exercise begins, rests with you."