Have your say on the storylines.
Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

Re: Covenant sci-fi amalgam

Post by Kane » 2011-04-25 17:00

TyrAnazazi wrote:I thought that you said that either of the revised proposals was fine. Or did I miss that?
I said Xythan shield. Your 'bouncer' may have a kinetic component, but you're going to have to pay for the tradeoff, which those proposals address. Both are still less useful against kinetics than a standard shield. Even that minor detail carries potential future problems with it.
Kane wrote:Do you really want me to answer that?
I wasn't talking about altering infrastructure. But at any rate, you have addressed your own statement 'it is still absurd to cling to such a minor amount of progress'.
I also noticed that you didn't bother answering the questions I asked nor a response to the answer to your contamination comment.
If I think you and Jericho will manage the problem? I sincerely hope so. I'm still willing to give you the chance to prove it. This whole thread is about that, and the length of the reins I'm giving you.

My concern goes beyond any tech of the day or even the both of you. I have to consider every angle, every possibility, every member, projected into the future, and I can see tons of possible screwups that will cause me a headache and unfairly require more attention than warranted when I could use my time more constructively (like this for example). You might take intervention personally, but I have a much larger picture to worry about. It is not a particularly joyful burden. I'm stretched to the limit and haven't been able to advance my own storylines for months, much less invitations. The only one I've put effort into doing is Iaex, because he's left hanging.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-04-25 18:11

Sorry Tyr, your last post was eaten. In case you didn't notice, I'm performing forum alterations right now. But I've read it.

Apology accepted, Tyr Anazazi.
TyrAnazazi wrote:Would that be acceptable to you? These are two completely separate systems and thus require the appropriate powerdrain each. So in effect, I would be practically doubling the shield energy costs. That seem fair to you?
Do you plan to run both of these at once? Or will you switch, and how quick?

Both at the same time gives you a return of 2.9. That's too high. Standard deflectors are 3.0, but they have no return to sender. Separate you've got 2.4, which is okay, but not if you can just switch it around in a blink. Oh, and you can't really run double the power. You'll have to either halve strength or wear. Or .25 of both.

Jericho Winters
Sergeant
Sergeant
Organizational Unit: 4th fleet , 4th army

Post by Jericho Winters » 2011-04-25 19:38

My concern goes beyond any tech of the day or even the both of you. I have to consider every angle, every possibility, every member, projected into the future, and I can see tons of possible screwups that will cause me a headache and unfairly require more attention than warranted when I could use my time more constructively (like this for example). You might take intervention personally, but I have a much larger picture to worry about. It is not a particularly joyful burden. I'm stretched to the limit and haven't been able to advance my own storylines for months, much less invitations. The only one I've put effort into doing is Iaex, because he's left hanging.
I'd just like to say , "I have a much larger picture to worry about. It is not a particularly joyful burden. I'm stretched to the limit and haven't been able to advance my own storylines for months, much less invitations. "

Ditto and I personally understand where you're coming from. I've put aside my own storylines for months and sometimes years here on site. Frankly, I've understood your position from the get go, and shared it, and I've also understood Kurge's. It's the only reason I'm willing to dedicate more of my time as is to help find better solutions here to not allow 'contaminations' as you put them.

On a more personal note- as it currently stands- aside from new c1's I will not be involving myself much in new threads until old ones get done.
"I have found there are very few problems in this lifetime which can't be
solved with the proper applications of high explosives." - Burn Notice

TyrAnazazi
Mercenary
Custom Title: Tenno
Organizational Unit: Phoenix Emire-Operation Castor

Post by TyrAnazazi » 2011-04-25 20:42

Kane wrote:Sorry Tyr, your last post was eaten. In case you didn't notice, I'm performing forum alterations right now. But I've read it.

Apology accepted, Tyr Anazazi.

TyrAnazazi wrote:
Would that be acceptable to you? These are two completely separate systems and thus require the appropriate powerdrain each. So in effect, I would be practically doubling the shield energy costs. That seem fair to you?

Do you plan to run both of these at once? Or will you switch, and how quick?

Both at the same time gives you a return of 2.9. That's too high. Standard deflectors are 3.0, but they have no return to sender. Separate you've got 2.4, which is okay, but not if you can just switch it around in a blink. Oh, and you can't really run double the power. You'll have to either halve strength or wear. Or .25 of both.
Assuming that I understood what you were saying in that last sentence: I was not thinking that both could run simultaneously at full power. If both are running then it would be more in the 0.5-0.25 range. So as to accommodate for the factors of the shields and keep it below the 3.0 that you cited. If I figured that in correctly ;)

I have my guesstimate below of the combined system below (SHIELD). As to the time switching, I would be thinking something in the order of 10-15 seconds or 30-45 seconds. If it is too slow, that would be painful and if too fast, than it would be overpowered. I think that either of those time brackets should be reasonable. Since, in that time frame most artillery on board a ship could score at least one hit directly to the hull.
Tyr: Re-posting so everyone sees wrote:Aegis:
Energy absorption: 1.0
Kinetic absorption: 0.0
Energy return to sender: ~0.9
Shield life: 1.0

Aeglos:
Energy absorption: 0.0
Kinetic absorption: 1.0
If running simultaneously, the power available would be the same so, here is that:

SHIELD (Aegis+Aeglos):
Energy absorption: 0.5-0.25
Kinetic absorption: 0.5-0.25
"Fukaba fuke shana wa sunda zo ki no kaze" -Death Poem, Haiku - "Blow if you will, Fall wind...the flowers, have all faded"

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-04-25 22:29

We'll use the 0.25 rate on dual mode as I already said. Question is, can you put these numbers into words? Do you know what the strengths and weaknesses are?

Oh, and I really hope I won't regret allowing this one later. Sometimes I'm just being too nice for my own good. Frankly, I already regret it. Anyone realize what those numbers mean?

TyrAnazazi
Mercenary
Custom Title: Tenno
Organizational Unit: Phoenix Emire-Operation Castor

Post by TyrAnazazi » 2011-04-26 01:24

Kane wrote:We'll use the 0.25 rate on dual mode as I already said. Question is, can you put these numbers into words? Do you know what the strengths and weaknesses are?

Oh, and I really hope I won't regret allowing this one later. Sometimes I'm just being too nice for my own good. Frankly, I already regret it. Anyone realize what those numbers mean?
Ace, I will not do something that will cause you to regret it later. Thank you for being nice! :) It made my day! This is what I am interpreting it as, please correct:

Aegis:
Energy absorption: 1.0
Kinetic absorption: 0.0

Aegis is a deflector shield that absorbs some of the but returns most of the energy back to the sender. The return takes the form of redirecting energy bolts back towards the firer. Those that do not return along the path to the sender bounce away from the ship like a ball on a wall. The weakness of the Aegis shield is that it is essentially nonexistent if attacked with mass-based (kinetic) projectiles. The shield also does not possess any increase of shield life over traditional shielding. The positives are that energy-weapon fire is sent back at the firer. The only change in operation is to channel the percentage of power, otherwise deflected, into the ship's own weapons (like the viper droid) at the lose (energy return to sender becomes 0.0) of all energy deflected back towards the firer.

Aeglos:
Energy absorption: 0.0
Kinetic absorption: 1.0

Aeglos is a shield that specializes in projectile or kinetic-mass attacks. Unlike the Aegis, the Aeglos sacrifices any resistance, ~negligible, to energy weapons for enhanced defenses against torpedoes, missiles etc. The warheads are deflected back at the firer and/or away from the targeted ship. As stated, the main weakness of the Aeglos is that it possess such a low resistance or absorption of energy-based weapon fire that it is negligible. The advantages are that it will defend the ship against warheads and has the same strength as traditional systems. Alternatively, it could be seen as possible to use the energy absorbed to help power the ship's systems. If that approach is uses, the energy returned to the firer/sender becomes 0.0 instead of 0.90 of the default.

SHIELD (Aegis+Aeglos):
Energy absorption: 0.25
Kinetic absorption: 0.25

SHIELD is the codename for the combined Aegis and Aelgos systems. This system has the same operational time or strength as normal. However, unlike either of the other two component systems, it loses 75% of its energy absorption capacity comparatively. In exchange, the shield is able to deflect or bounce back the fast majority of the energy received to the firer. Overall, you lose the efficiency of the Aegis and Aeglos in order to gain a hybrid and multi-purpose capability. In addition, compared to the traditional deflector the SHIELD system is about a fourth as efficient.
"Fukaba fuke shana wa sunda zo ki no kaze" -Death Poem, Haiku - "Blow if you will, Fall wind...the flowers, have all faded"

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-04-26 07:38

Good.

Rikku
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Custom Title: Tenno-Shinobi
Organizational Unit: Phoenix Empire-Operation Castor (ICE-Infiltrator)

Post by Rikku » 2011-04-26 19:25

Awesome! Thank you for your willingness to work out something!

I take it that the threads I have Rikku and Tyr involved, I am allowed to continue?
"The world now unchanged from ancient times
leaves that are words retain seeds in the heart"

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-04-26 19:41

Yes.

Rikku
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Custom Title: Tenno-Shinobi
Organizational Unit: Phoenix Empire-Operation Castor (ICE-Infiltrator)

Post by Rikku » 2012-12-17 21:51

This Feedback thread is not applicable to my finished work. As such, this should be archived. I will post a new thread over Christmas break.
"The world now unchanged from ancient times
leaves that are words retain seeds in the heart"