The Galactic Economy

New members should first read the Member's Manual and then return here if you wish to ask any questions. Here you can also casually learn how to roleplay and hone your skills outside of all story lines.

Moderator: Academy Instructor

Forum rules
New members should first read the Member's Manual and then return here if you wish to ask any questions. Here you can also casually learn how to roleplay and hone your skills outside of all story lines.
John Lauri
Recruit
Custom Title: Scoundrel

The Galactic Economy

Post by John Lauri » 2015-01-19 14:34

Aside from Peggats, and Imperial and Galactic Credits, what other forms of currency are out there, and what is the relative worth of all of them?

Moira Drakengard
Freelancer

Re: The Galactic Economy

Post by Moira Drakengard » 2015-01-28 10:07

Just noticed this.

iNgots of precious metals , aurodium ingots, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Currency
And other things I can't pronounce.

Full list of Wookieepedia category is here,
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Currency

Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

Post by Kane » 2015-01-28 14:22

The rate between Imperial Credits and Republic Credits varies a lot depending on local factors, including conversion fees. There is no official trade between the NIF and the NR, so there's no official rate or peg. Generally speaking, neither side accepts the other's currency - not officially at any rate. Inofficially, the local rate translates directly to the politcal strength of both parties. In practice, both credits were valued about the same in peacetime.

The Hutt Peggat likewise varies, but it should still hover around the worth of 40 credits of either type.

Because of the volatile nature of monies in the times of galactic war, nova crystals have had a renaissance into something of the Swiss Franc; a neutral currency with stable value to anyone. Obviously, alternative currencies like this are mostly an interest to smugglers and other shadowy figures who operate on both sides. Other relatively valuable and liquid (as in the economic term, not the physics one) materials include gold, platinum and aurodium (which seems to be some form of very expensive gold alloy).

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Organizational Unit: Executive Officer of TFJ, Fourth Fleet.

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2015-01-28 14:54

I was diving into wookiee and got blaked by the big man himself :).

1 Wupiupi = ~0.625 credits
1 Trugut = 16 wupiupi = ~ 10 credits
1 Pegat = 4 Truguts = ~ 40 credits

Silver = ~ 150 to 200 credits per kilogram = ~0.15 - 0.20 credits per gram
Gold = ~ 10 - 15 credits per gram
Platinum = ~ 15-25 credits per gram
Aurodium = 10 large ingots ~ 3 billion credits

I know you say Aurodium is an alloy, but it's listed in wookiee as an element. I already have a few things written up in reference to it in a training thread. Frankly, I was looking into all this a few months ago with the intention of including all the elements, metals branching to alloys for some of a character's forays into materialization. (aside from learning to produce stygium and other precious materials-, beskar for instance, for the federation as the character's beginning to work also towards the royal guards)It also said ingots were refined, so I think there'd usually only be trace amounts of aurodium's element in an ore.

But I have a question. Would Ingots of metals come in close to a weighted/ measured size comparable to other metal types of ingots?

Take a look at this.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Republic_credit_ingot
Wookieepedia wrote:Each ingot was between two and three inches in length; the silver ones being a bit longer than the gold ones
Would you be able to do a little approximation of the picture here so we might probably give a baseline for standard size of a large ingot of aurodium. I imagine they'd be close to the same size as under arodium's element it says :
Wookieepedia wrote:In 29 BBY, ten large ingots of aurodium were worth three billion credits; however, although the ingots were considered large, all of them were combined small enough to keep inside a pouch that was easily concealed on a person.
I would imagine then they wouldn't be more then four to five inches for a large ingot for Aurodium. But that's just a wild guess. Would you be able to approximate any numbers for us?

This would really help me out when discussing the materialization of metals and stuff in said thread.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2015-01-28 16:52

Abraxes Rancor wrote:I know you say Aurodium is an alloy, but it's listed in wookiee as an element.
It was obviously intended to be the equivalent of gold, but gold already exists in the SWU and the price comparison of aurodium is way higher than gold.
Abraxes Rancor wrote: I already have a few things written up in reference to it in a training thread. Frankly, I was looking into all this a few months ago with the intention of including all the elements, metals branching to alloys for some of a character's forays into materialization. (aside from learning to produce stygium and other precious materials-, beskar for instance, for the federation as the character's beginning to work also towards the royal guards)It also said ingots were refined, so I think there'd usually only be trace amounts of aurodium's element in an ore.

But I have a question. Would Ingots of metals come in close to a weighted/ measured size comparable to other metal types of ingots?

Take a look at this.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Republic_credit_ingot
Wookieepedia wrote:Each ingot was between two and three inches in length; the silver ones being a bit longer than the gold ones
Would you be able to do a little approximation of the picture here so we might probably give a baseline for standard size of a large ingot of aurodium.I imagine they'd be close to the same size as under arodium's element it says :
Wookieepedia wrote:In 29 BBY, ten large ingots of aurodium were worth three billion credits; however, although the ingots were considered large, all of them were combined small enough to keep inside a pouch that was easily concealed on a person.
I would imagine then they wouldn't be more then four to five inches for a large ingot for Aurodium. But that's just a wild guess. Would you be able to approximate any numbers for us?

This would really help me out when discussing the materialization of metals and stuff in said thread.
We can assume that large aurodium ingots would have a similar size, but those Republic credit ingots are almost assuredly gold and silver alloys of around 20-40 grams each, as aurodium ones would be worth a bit too much for standard exchanges at 300 million credits per ingot. Even if aurodium is an element, we never use pure elements as payments, as it would erode their value. I can only imagine that this holds even more true with something so expensive.

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Organizational Unit: Executive Officer of TFJ, Fourth Fleet.

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2015-01-29 14:44

I see and agree on your points. I just took a dive into looking at real world purity levels, parts per million and types of assays to measure them. I can see where it would be difficult for normal exchanges, that might not have access to certain assay types. but I see where it would be useful in elements of illegal ship trading, war profiteering, high end black market deals and the invisible market come into play, as in the past aurodium was used in gifts to impress the hu tts. The assays also work into some of what I was thinking to do with an IGBC clan representive in my own threads, right now I think I might combine a few things. Is there a star wars droid or something for testing metals that duplicates what we use assays for?

Since this is about the economy and resources that freelancers might cross borders with I might as well to ask the following.

The invisible market has things like lightsaber and artifacts as well as halted production model or illegal for civilian ownership of droids. Like magnaguards or the more recent Pegasus war droid from Constantine Inc to ye olde order holo cubes. It sounds to me like the perfect playground for the inquisition to play in with freelancer involvement but extremely expensive to buy into without a reputation to back you. May I ask your thoughts on what the artifact trade might be worth to ppl in the galaxy? Lihtsabers, lightsaber Crystal types, other artifacts. What are their worth to the NIF? The jedi? Etc.

For example, How much would an old eg series jedi hunter droid or magnaguard go for?
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/EG_droid

Or some other type of slice from history?

Or even any thoughts into illegal acquisitions of the technology trade? The current c2 has a lot of these possible elements already at play.

Also, should this topic be moved to the academy section of the board?

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2015-01-30 10:47

It's really impossible to give specific answers to that. All we can really say is that unless it's illegal and comparatively expensive, it's not available on the black market, and if it is, all we can say about the price is that those factors make it more expensive than just supply and demand.

The components in a lightsabre shouldn't rate more than a few hundred credits unless it has rare crystals in it, for example. Obviously it would be worth more to a jedi since they can make use of it - but then again, a jedi could just buy those same components and make their own lightsabre. I'd say it would rate a few thousand credits to a collector for which the sabre is very rare and possibly difficult to get in good condition, but contains nothing of actual use.

So the base price of something on the black market is the legal price along with whatever deductions (cheap copies) and extravaganza that applies. Ultimately, it's worth what it's worth to someone - and at some point along the way, it may become cheaper by taking it with force.

With that kind of reasoning in mind, an old EG droid has little value above what an already highly illegal modern assassin droid would warrant anyway. Which is substantial, mostly because it's so very illegal, secondarily because they're high quality products. Because no body has any use of a sloppy assassin.
Abraxes Rancor wrote:Also, should this topic be moved to the academy section of the board?
Possibly.