my questions thread :)

New members should first read the Member's Manual and then return here if you wish to ask any questions. Here you can also casually learn how to roleplay and hone your skills outside of all story lines.

Moderator: Academy Instructor

Forum rules
New members should first read the Member's Manual and then return here if you wish to ask any questions. Here you can also casually learn how to roleplay and hone your skills outside of all story lines.
Allen Scarn
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Custom Title: rank frozen by request

my questions thread :)

Post by Allen Scarn » 2013-02-07 06:58

Hello, first an introduction on things people should know:
I. I like to write and develop a character over the long term (usually a year of solo stories) first to develop their training/history background over a long series of threads before I get rping with others, except for certain story ideas.
II. In star wars sites : I like credits. Lots and lots of credits. They buy good things :).
III. I play usually only one character at a time, and then keep that character for a longer time.
IV. I keep to myself, don't go in chatrooms and certainly don't give my personal info out on boards.
So anyone who wishes to do so may simply address me as "Allen" which will be the name of my character here if I get a few questions answered about my concept.

So, without further ado: I'd like some help on my concept.

A. I noticed that you have planetary defense forces as a type of unit in your IRM.
- I'd like to have my character be one in a series of historical threads approximately about 80-100 for training/flashbacks etc until I'm ready to have him go be a cadet in the stormtrooper corps. This means I'd probably only have him officially 'join' the NIF in your next Campaign cycles? It looks like they seemed to take ooc a bit of time. So I could wrk out a few threads for my concept in the meantime.
- If I could do this I think it would get me a bit familiar with things here first, before worrying about ranks/etc. Can I do this?
- If so- are there any suggestions for planet's backgrounds within your boards history that would have some reputation for their defense forces. Something like Ord Carida? You guys don't seem based core world originally.
-I know your army stormtroopers basically trains on some ship but I'd assume that each PDF would train on their own planet, so I'm hoping for some setting notes here.

B. What exactly is the date month/ year ABY or another system on the board right now. Including months. I like to plan out histories by year/ etc and the irm was somewhat confusing involving a formula ?_? .

C. Any threads with a synopsis of board history? I'm still looking at things here.

D. Other then that, how are you all?

Any feed back is appreciated.

Tycho
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
Custom Title: Alpha Lead
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM

Re: my questions thread :)

Post by Tycho » 2013-02-08 20:57

Hi there, Allen.

First off, here is a timeline for you with synopsis as well.

http://www.nifrpg.net/wiki/index.php?title=NIF_Timeline

We're in 19 ABY at the moment.

This is the list of army personnel types, if you have not seen it already.
http://www.nifrpg.net/database/departme ... army.shtml

Planetary defense forces honestly don't get much use, until recently, because the NIF is usually on the offensive. If you are looking to get involved quickly the Secondary Missions are a good way to do so. Just write up a post - even if you're late to the party that can be explained away - and hop in. The board is very, very slow of late due to catalyst members becoming busy, but you should get a response.

Campaigns do take forever so don't expect one of those for a while.

The "Lounge" is where people post personal thread lines etc. You are more than welcome to get familiar with things in there. In fact, people usually start off by making a lounge post. You can also post in the training center for some military hardware related fun.

PDFs train people on their home planets. NIF is usually on the offensive so I am not sure which PDF would be "reputable." Probably Kuat.

You can start your character as a freelancer and have him join the army later. Or you could just make him army and put all the flashbacks in the required character biography.

Hope I answered your questions. I look forward to reading your work.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2013-02-08 23:41

Alright, first of all, welcome to the NIF! We're glad to have you, and glad to see some fresh meat new blood in here. Let's see if I can answer your questions. From the top:

1) You're more than welcome to do solo threads for a while until you get your feet under you here in the lore and mythos of our take on Star Wars. Given the character concept you're looking to do, it's not likely that you'll have much interaction with the main fleet, however, so that's pretty much all you'd be doing until you join the Army proper. By all means though, go for it; it's different than what a lot of new players work with.
2) If you're looking to gain credits quick, you're probably looking in the wrong board. We have a system set up for receiving pay, and you can find this here: http://nifrpg.net/database/paylist.shtml. Short version: you get paid according to your rank every two weeks in-character. Each campaign mission is two months of IC time, so roughly four pay periods. Certain character types, like freelancers, do not get a steady paycheck and instead get paid by the job; this can either be mission participation or by RPing a bounty (found in the Marketplace forum). If you're military, though, you get most gear provided for you (subject to your CO's discretion; of course, you can always blank out your CO, but don't go crazy; you're not going to see a squad of scout troopers all wielding Thunder Cannons, for example).
3) That's fine; a good number of us only have the one character. Mine, for example, has been around for many years and is really the only one I play. Several of our players have characters that number in the double-digits, so we get all kinds here.
4) That's fine, though we encourage you to hop in our IRC room from time to time as it makes it easier to coordinate in-character actions than PMs. Our playerbase is very easygoing and open to everyone; we mostly follow this rule in our interactions. Here's the list of rules for the game itself; I strongly recommend you read them over prior to starting out: http://www.nifrpg.net/database/rules.shtml. As for personal information, we will never ask for anything you may be uncomfortable providing, such as real name, gender, age (we do require you to be 13 or older to comply with various national and/or state laws), or other PPI. We do ask that you provide a public facing email in the event administrators or moderators need to contact you, though this is not required.

A) Yes, we do have planetary defense forces, but like Tycho said, they don't get a whole lot of use. In most cases, they just fight a delaying action to buy time for the fleet to arrive. Like I said, you're welcome to be one, but don't expect a whole lot of player interaction unless you ask for it (perhaps an inspection by a senior fleet military commander or joint exercise could be start points). You're more than welcome to do a set of historical posts, so feel free to write them. Joining during/after a CM would work fine. Rank-wise, I would suggest selecting one of the main branches, and we can hold your character at RL1 if you want for a while until you let us know you want us to put you in the running again. As for the planetary selection, Kuat might be good, as would Bilbringi (our capital world) or Corellia. There's also the sector list here that might give you a starting point (setting notes on each planet would be there too). Most regulars are ship-based, though, as they're deployed to multiple worlds when needed.
B) 19ABY, roughly. Each CM is two months' character time, as I said above, and we're now on C1M33. Our zero-day is Endor+9 years. We had (and still have) a second campaign line, which factored into the calculation. In short: we're in 19ABY.
C) We can do you several better than just one thread; we have a Wiki, a Database, and a Resource Management page. You should be able to find all you need to know in those locations.
D) Not bad, thanks for asking. It's a bit...blizzard-y up here, but otherwise not bad.

I do hope those answer your questions, and thanks to Tycho for his input above as well. We strongly recommend looking at the Member Manual (found here) and Rules (found somewhere in the wall'o'text above) before starting out. Feel free to message any of us or hop in the holochat if you have questions about anything here. Again, allow me to welcome you to the NIF, and happy posting!

Edit: I've also moved this to the Academy, as a good portion of these questions are asked by new members and as such, this is the place for them.
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Allen Scarn
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Allen Scarn » 2013-02-09 22:55

Spyker Katarn wrote:you can always blank out your CO, but don't go crazy; you're not going to see a squad of scout troopers all wielding Thunder Cannons, for example).
I'll assume that "blanks" you mean npc's... >.> well if I was having a few npcs of scout troopers they'd be lucky if I gave them a set of cracked armor and a rusty potato peeler. And then I'd probably tell them to go gauge out the enemies heart... slowly since they wouldn't even have a spoon for it. One of the draws of playing a PDF and their ''squads'' is the idea of doing more with less. :)

As for moving things to the academy... I wondered where it went O.o.

Anyways, I have already about 2k on a bio (I've read and understood on how limited the force sensitivity is on this board and actually like that. So it would tie in nicely to the character history so 2k seems to work on getting at least the 1k req.) and now have... dun da dat dah duh ! Puppy Power! I mean... *ahem* more questions. :)

I've decided to have my character start on Aphran IV. It's very close to bilbringi and it would be easy enough to do a lot of interactive things with that system. However.
1. What year ABY did the NIF take the bilbringi system?
2. Was it before or after the subjugation on that planet brought about by the Thrawn campaign in 9 aby.
3. what in your opinion would the common people's views on the NIF be?
4. Would they have been allowed to work as their own democratic gov't and still have a senator in your new senate?

Waiting on some replies, thanks for the help.

As a side note, I noted that you guys don't have the bbcode for tables enacted and I can't seem to get a hang of linking url's in that
 or [list] command.
Is there some reason for this? Tables *really* help on a credit ledger or putting together a character timeline.  They just make things easier for readers to see and for someone to organize.

edit: Finally worked out linking with a pre function that didn't display wonky. You can ignore that, though I've yet to test a ledger yet.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2013-02-10 03:14

Blanks are indeed NPCs; check here and here for rules on them and how to use them in the context of this site. You are rank-restricted (technically) on how many you get yourself right off the bat, but that's more to prevent godmodding and munchkining than anything else.

Yep, OOC question threads and learn-to-RP threads go here in the Academy. If you don't know where something goes though, you can always throw it in the most likely spot. If it belongs somewhere else (like this one), we'll move it.

2K words for a bio is fine; we just ask you post it (at least partially) before roleplaying so one of the staff can look it over. Nothing against you personally; everyone has gone through it, including staff.

Aphran sounds good to me; go for it.

Ace might know when we took Bilbringi, but it was definitely after 9ABY. I don't know off the top of my head how the Thrawn campaign went in our continuity.

Here's a general overview of the NIF; people in the Federation are probably mostly approving of the government, but the opinion may have shifted as of late due to the war and actions taken during it. You might want to check the Imperial Senate forum threads to gauge that.

Of course; we're a federal-type system. Each planet has its own government, but also is subject to the overarching Empire and provides Senators for representation.

Regarding tables, we've never really needed to have them. Like I said, credit tracking isn't as necessary here as it might be on other boards as the military provides most amenities (and rack space is at a premium). The timeline idea is interesting, but you can use the bulleted list function to help with that (remember to use [*] with
  • to do that) if you want. If you really want them, submit a feature request in the Quartermaster's Office forum.

One more thing regarding credits: every character starts with ten thousand imperial credits. Initial gear/supplies/ships are subtracted from that. You can start with debts if you really want an expensive craft, but just be aware that this needs to be in the bio somewhere.

Dravius Stari
Marshal
Marshal
Custom Title: Director of Imperial Space Force Operations

Post by Dravius Stari » 2013-02-24 11:41

A final point on credits:

We earn an income, but we pay taxes: income and sales amongst others.

But this isn't to say that all characters are doomed to a life of poverty. There are bonuses, bounties and some of our more enterprising characters are always keeping an eye (and ear) out for good people to work for them.

The key is patience.

Above all, have fun, and ask any of us if you need a hand with anything at all.

Allen Scarn
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Allen Scarn » 2013-12-02 08:46

alright, after a long slew of work and personal life I finally got some time to post the bio. Everything check out?

I'd like a reply here, and not in the actual bio itself as I intend to reserve the next several posts to develop things more after I finish the multi-chapter long acts i have in my notes.

Act I is almost completely ready to post, just making a few edits >.>

As a side note to spyker's comments to credits.
As for credits and how they compare to this board as to the extended universe:

From the old source book a common campaign {swd20) of 3 years, mercenary would normally shoot for a nest egg of approximately 5 million credits which would be able to keep them afloat in fuel costs/upkeep/upgrades/ and maintenance for 10 years comfortability in running a corvette class as a free trader, or 20 years for a 50 m or less vessel. Like the mill falcon(Hence why a single trip for passengers on a private flight was usually 5-15k credits) and a normal transport vessel (new) would be ~100,000 Just throwing that out there for you guys to ponder the current index about freelancers costs vs actual needs.

It's very rare IC you could ever justify a freelancer having a transport without a serious nest egg behind them so I don't see how the OOC convention would be there of going into debt.

You either get it or you don't X_x.

Unless the vessel itself is the heirloom, even if it is means that : you're screwed already on upkeep costs in percentages paid in the first year alone under the irm rules for ship upkeep with only the starting 10k. Meaning it would be repossessed or something.

It's almost guaranteed for a listed officer or whatever branch that no matter if you got rank 7 pay or above it's highly likely that you'd lose your vessel after 6 CM's worth of time due to upkeep/repair costs unless the mods had some other options for less costs, ie. 'mothballing' it on a planet somewhere for considerably less in game mechanics- though not having it easily accessible to the player. As it stands its the ships space that really does it.

Why not have freelancers embedded into specific units that way they don't have to worry about transport to/from the battlefield?

Long story short, my take on freelancer mechanics for this board is: If you have a ship it's best to be a freelancer first, but only when you know mods will take the costs into better accounting then the light payouts you guys seem to have on the promo log ((double for these marquee rules I'm seeing for '50"%))(Save for that one in the 5 million credits or so it would be hard to run a vessel at all).

Food for thought in any case.

It's something I'll have to ponder really carefully.

Allen Scarn
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Allen Scarn » 2013-12-05 17:06

Questions about RDOP1.

I'm looking currently in the IRM to familiarize myself with the build rules etc, and came across the fleets. So I'm just going to use this space for some intellectual contemplations purely as an intellectual exercise to see if I'm getting these build rules right. :)

RDOP1 seemed especially interesting to me as it's supposed to be the main fleet for the ISIS. I'm interested in having my pc eventually wind up in ISIS. So I took a good hard look at this part of the game.

But I did notice some glaring instabilities in it's makeup; specifically in the use of the modular task force cruisers and the units designed to see them delivered safely.

Yes, they can be used for a single Inquisition module each.
Yes, ten inquisition modules aim for a lot of potential subversion/destruction / blockading of a planet with the whole 'orbital nightcloak mk I' thing added.
Yes, it's very adaptable.
Yes, it can be deployed to take on multiple worlds that are on the NIF's 'side of the border'.
But how are they going to get there without being blown up if RDOP1 has no Force Recon lines ?_?
But here's the problem I see: The single skirmish line isn't really enough to stop a determined defender such as the NR (even after a system has been taken over) from sending in units into enemy territory to hunt/destroy their inner workings very easily.
Cloaking really only goes so far, it's highly probable during the initial deployment of a orbital nightcloak (ie. Inquisition module) that anything not a Podunk, backwater world would be able to get some kind of information out. And the NRI- would probably respond swiftly to taking on the 'easy targets'.
Such operations would ultimately leave things very, very exposed for RD0P1 as a whole,

Sure - the NIF could bolster the defenses by drawing other fleets. But that would be detrimental in the surprise factor for what I think RDOP1 'role' is supposed to be.

(Voice from nowhere: "But Allen what about the Echo, Agave, and Assassin corvettes?")

I'm glad you asked Mr. Voice from nowhere. Now, I'm sure people would argue these other Elements of RDOP1 would be sufficient to defend the potential uses of the inquisition modules... but not so much when you compare to the fact the Echoes are role dependent on *Signal Analysis* and only the 'Observer' appears to have any labs. If an orbital nightcloak was deployed you'd have the NRI response bring in some nebulon's, with cruiser support and blow it out of the water.

You also have to think: "How easy was it to take down the orbital nightcloak at Dathomir?"

Wouldn't your modular vessels simply get "blown out of the water once deployed."

This is kind of a disambiguity of the entire fleet makeup I've noticed just by asking what 'roles' it was relegated to. The modularability looking good on paper, but not really holding up to what it's likely to face. It's why the old Imperial Intelligence had the ability to draft vessels it needed for its use but had a small reserve of it's own heavy hitters.

So how would one fix this?

Give RDOP1 a bit of oomph.

Have one line custom made to be "force recon" (a 210 Force RECON) and able to wield at least a comparable amount of inquisition abilities, to defend such an operation and assist in the laboratory and analysis functions.

Have it's flagship be something that can:
*hold out against a combined force
*have exorbitant amounts of cargo room for 'protecting' the ability to use the Inquisition modules (at least = to 8 of the full stats of the Inquisition module
*have a loadout that can disable planetary defenses brought back online by Republic commandos and/or hot extract ISIS agents against responding NR/opposition when other fleets are not available
*have the same ability as the rest of the task force to "cloak"

It made me think: So why not throw another Nemesis as Crystala's new flagship for RDOP1 ? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Then it made me think : Bzzzzzzttt !!!!!!!!!!!!! Wrong answer.
You get the ship necessary for the job for Force Recon but plays the vital role it needs as a base for ISIS efforts across an ever expanding territory.

So looking at the list there's only really two categories which fit the bill for an ISIS vessel so to speak for it to disable a reactivated planetary shield which would put a whole damper to RD0P1's role in operations of blockading a planet after the other ships leave:
-Any vessel that would have http://nifrpg.net/irm/mods/weapon_hv_proton_beam.shtml
- Or any vessel with a comparable ability
- Can assist in the functions of an interdictor as a last resort to capture enemy vessels
-enough room for a serious amount of laboratories/ etc
Eclipse super star destroyer? (No Too flashy and large a target)
Upgraded armada class battleship? (not enough cargo room for and Inquisition standards as well as lack of space for modification to suit ISIS needs)

Mr. Voice from no where: So what's the solution?

Answer: A heavily modified Sovereign Class
Name/Type: Sovereign-class Super Star Dreadnaught
Designer/Manufacturer: Kuat Drive Yards
Designation: Battleship
Crew: 601,670 + 4,075 Gunners
Length: 15,000 meters
Speed: 30 MGLT
Hyperdrive: x3
Shield Rating: 96,000 SBD
Hull Rating: 47,000 RU
Weapons: 1 DexenGrid HS-III improved axial Super Laser, 3,600 Taim & Bak Heavy Laser Cannons, 3,600 Taim & Bak Turbolaser Batteries, 540 Borstel NK-7 Ion Cannon Batteries, 720 Phylon Q-7 Tractor Beam Projectors, 36 SFS G7-XB Gravity-Well Projectors.
Fighter Complement: 40 squadrons.
Troops: 230,100 Stormtroopers, 75 AT-AT, 100 AT-ST, 5 Pre-fabricated Garrison Bases.
Support Craft: 35 Lambda-Class Imperial Shuttles, 30 Assault Shuttles.
Take out almost all troops and halve the fighter squadrons:
Modifications:
Name/Type: Sovereign-class Super Star Dreadnaught
Designer/Manufacturer: Kuat Drive Yards
Designation: Battleship
Crew: 601,670 + 4,075 Gunners
Length: 15,000 meters
Speed: 30 MGLT
Hyperdrive: x2
Shield Rating: 96,000 SBD
Hull Rating: 47,000 RU
Weapons: 1 DexenGrid HS-III improved axial Super Laser, 3,600 Taim & Bak Heavy Laser Cannons, 3,600 Taim & Bak Turbolaser Batteries, 540 Borstel NK-7 Ion Cannon Batteries, 720 Phylon Q-7 Tractor Beam Projectors, 36 SFS G7-XB Gravity-Well Projectors.
Fighter Complement: 20 squadrons. 2000 Probots and Observation Droids
Crew: 130,000 Intel Officers. 2400 Inquisitors, 30,000 CompForce/Observation Staff , 10,000 Interrogation Droids.
Equipment:45,000 Pre-Fabricated Disintegration Chambers, 6 Prefab Garrison Bases, 5 Orbital Eraser Unit, Probes with Sterilization Spores, 15 Cluster Bombs with Magneticpulse Bombs, 3 complete Orbital Nightcloak System.

Troops: 25,000 stormtroopers
Support Craft: 20 Lambda-Class Imperial Shuttles, 20 Assault Shuttles
Modifications: EW/Comm/Intel Module x6, Inquisition Module x8, Observation Module x4, Helios AI, Integrated Cloak, Armored bonded stealth coating, Ion Hardened Armour, 1200 MISS, Stardust Overdrive, Molecular Recycling Plant
Escorting craft for the other x9 vessels in the proposed line: Magnates : they already have the necessary functions for such a proposed line to protect 1 system long enough for the other fleets to reinforce if the orbital nightcloak was ever deployed :).

So if I'm right the cost for the IRM would be, 15000 CP x2 for modifications to such a 'flag vessel' = 30,000.
1,605 Meters for the Magnates would be 1600 CP for each ship x9 = 14400 CP
So, hypothetically- 44,400 CP for such a proposed line.

The only other thing would be to add 2 interdictors to another lineup to help RD0p1 stop incursions into NIF territory from NRI ships. probably backed by a heavy destroyer escort (10-20 vessels). But that's for another day's pondering.

Am I right with the costs in this intellectual exercise? ( I doubt this would ever happen, unless crystala's player asked for it), but I figured: "hey why not just shoot the breeze on this topic?"
Voice from nowhere: There's no harm in just talking about something."
Why thank you Mr. Voice from nowhere. :) )

Thanks for your time :)

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2013-12-07 05:09

Regarding Credits and their implementation here:

Most personnel do not have a need for personal ships, as we're primarily focused on the regular military personnel of the Federation or very specific groups of paramilitary units (freelancers) or civilians (diplomats). Military personnel, such as Army, Navy, or Pilots, are able to take military transport wherever they need. Diplomats can as well, and are in fact encouraged to do so IC for reasons of personal security (for the same reason that diplomats in the real world use security force-supplied vehicles custom made for executive protection). Soldiers and diplomats are not paid particularly well week-to-week (see the paygrades here), but all basic needs and most other amenities are met for free with life aboard a military vessel. Drinks are, of course, something you need to purchase.

Freelancers are a special case. While they can have their own ships, and in fact many do, they exist in a quasi-military state. In all cases, freelancers are treated as if they're new to the game; fluff in a bio can be used to explain why their accounts have been reduced to 10 KCr. Many times, this takes the form of running afoul of someone like the Hutts, such as in Diri Tiberia's case, someone in search of a new life, or someone on the run with nothing else but the clothes on their backs. Ace could speak more towards upkeep and repair costs historically, but I generally have the assumption that part of a freelancer's pay is repairs to their ship in a carrier's bay. That's just my interpretation though and not necessarily what actually happens.

On RDOP1:

I think you have your fleets confused. RDOP1 is the Research and Development fleet; this is where all the new ships and gear are designed, developed, and tested before being licensed to groups like Merr-Sonn, BlasTech, and others for production. The task force you're looking for if you're interested in ISIS is Task Force Omniscient, which as you can see in this link has everything you say isn't in RDOP1 ;)

If we ever need the ships of RDOP1 (or for that matter TF Omniscient) in a front-line combat situation, chances are we're fighting something completely unstoppable by the combined mights of the other five main fleets, the First Allied, and the entire rest of First Fleet. ICE would also likely have been recalled at that point, though by the time they arrived they might be all that remains of the galaxy.

Allen Scarn
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Allen Scarn » 2013-12-07 06:05

Yes I confused RDOP1 to Task force omniscient. So yes I'd consider the suggestion I made for TFO.

My bad.
Though desperately using all those fleets... what did the Vong come to visit early X_x?

And the whole argument wasn't for a front line posture but a holding posture if they ever do get 'inquisitiony'. Think of the amount of vessels over dathomir, instead of an old empire sector fleet. As it stands if they ever did deploy an orbital nightcloak they don't ahve the oomph to hold out till relief gets there during a heated campaign where fleets have moved on to try and gain more territory.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2013-12-07 15:21

Neither fleet is designed for a hold-out fight. Their primary defenses are speed and remaining hidden, as its main role is ELINT and HUMINT control, not direct action or direct in-person monitoring (that's the job of the other fleets, specifically Second if a planet is involved). If TFO is ever discovered by an enemy battlefleet, then someone's not doing their job and is likely to lose their head (literally; the Director-General is known for taking those of people who displease her). Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if their doctrine involves a usual rally point outside the galaxy a la the Rebels. The same goes for RDOP. Both fleets are stationed in deep space, well away from major hyperlanes and population centers, so the chance of detection is small, limited really only to infiltrators and the proverbial 'inside man.'

Also, the Orbital Nightcloak is partially a serious, partially a running gag. It's never been deployed and likely won't for a long time. It's one of those things the NR would likely consider a superweapon, and we all know what happens to those (it's faster just to deploy a superlaser and detonate the target than it is to deploy the ON).

Allen Scarn
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Allen Scarn » 2013-12-07 20:27

Spyker wrote: Also, the Orbital Nightcloak is partially a serious, partially a running gag. It's never been deployed and likely won't for a long time. It's one of those things the NR would likely consider a superweapon, and we all know what happens to those (it's faster just to deploy a superlaser and detonate the target than it is to deploy the ON).
That's the Tarkin Doctrine all over again. Though the orbital nightcloak was originally designed as a means of isolating a world and *not* killing it's population. Population's of such isolated world's are still useful, and yes the ON is probably still a superweapon in Rebel eyes.

But the more discord you'd have in the federation with it's own member world(s) likely to secede, it actually would increase the chance of the ON's use. (*Read as: Vastly increases the chance*) The option to put a single world put under the ON, instead of just 'blowing it up with a superlaser' would serve a far better long term *political* means of pressure to create an example of any pesky member worlds that were trying to get away with insurrection. Yet wouldn't create *more* insurrectionists by creating a martyr world like Alderaan.

The ON is a political based tool more then a military weapon when a 'softer' side of the inquisition comes to the fore. Probably why it's in the IRM under the Inquisition module. Based on that philosophy of it being political alone, any true inquisition would use it to make a political example of some place. (*cough* Phaeda *cough* >.>)

I'll give your argument of superlasers over the ON this much: If it wasn't for the political arguments for the ON's use- well then it wouldn't make sense building them militarily at all. Still an interesting avenue of response to ponder, when politics come into play.

And having even the potential for your inquisition to deploy an ON still is a psychological deterrant to said member worlds.

The real problem is: if you have a psychological deterrant, if you don't have your inquisition capable of it surviving it's deployment... well eventually someone's going to just write it off. In short- if you have a capability, that's useful in the political arena- you better have your military possess a way to deploy it; with the forces it's supposed to be deployed with (in this case ISIS itself ; not the other fleets). Otherwise, it's not a capability but a bluff. Someone calls you on that bluff even once- then they weaken your entire empire's ability to respond (or bluff again) as a whole.

Especially when dealing with an oversized political tool instead of a valid military weapon.

As I think about it now: Militarily the only benefit of having an ON in operation at all would be to bait a trap in that sector/theater of war.
spyker wrote: The task force you're looking for if you're interested in ISIS is Task Force Omniscient, which as you can see in this link has everything you say isn't in RDOP1
On a second look I actually see this was the page I was looking at. Nope, I was right it doesn't have *Anything* I said which wasn't in it.

No capable resistance at all, especially since Echo's (which would double as the 'heavy hitters' or escorts for the modular ships) would be as you said in *deep space* which actually not true since their description has them as signal interception ships in 'forward recon' while retaining the ability to fight. Playing the role of tenders and subs in wwII as 'forward recon' instead of the analague towards destroyers/ cruisers somewhere out in the oort cloud of systems that would be targeted by other fleets.

Which means that the MTFCruisers and any bulk of TFO would only be defended by it's one line of skirmish line... since all the echos would be spread out to hover on the edges of NR territory. Leaving the rest of the deep space assets in fact probably defended only by the spread out skirmish line as escorts.

20 escorts for 60 ships not including the A - 211 that has 10 echos.

Not a good possibility(or percentage of escorts) at all.

I guess if you could add some other escorts with a bit of more oomph, at least ten of something 550-600 m that's not an echo would do to protect the MTFC's. But like I said before- this is all just an intellectual exercise to me right now. It's not like Crystala would argue for 10 more of those Regulas class vessels (with the ability to extend their shields) just in case the ON was ever necessary politically to deploy.