Foundation Day

Open roleplaying at the Nemesis' lounge. Open scenario locations are not restricted to the lounge.

Moderator: S.T.A.R.S.

Forum rules
Open roleplaying at the Nemesis' lounge.

The Lounge offers a wide variety of foods and drinks from all over the galaxy while looking on the breathtaking view of the stars above the 20-km long arrowhead hull of the Federation's most elite battleship.
Rann Gast
Commander
Commander
Custom Title: CO, Task Force Justice, Fourth Fleet
Organizational Unit: NIFSD Apocalypse, Task Force Justice, Fourth Fleet

Foundation Day

Post by Rann Gast » 2014-05-04 20:10

Foundation Day: One of the grandest days in Federation space. It was celebrated with parties, fireworks, and parades. Rann had been looking for an excuse for some time to host a function for some of the best and brightest of the Imperial establishment, and this provided the perfect opportunity for him. And so, he had sent invitations to various commanders, politicians, war heroes, and young up and comers to join him at his family's compound for an evening fine cuisine, fine drinks, fireworks, and of course networking. The gardens overlooking the sea where lit with candles. Looking out his window, Rann could see crews setting up hoverbarges in the bay, connecting wires for the fireworks. Behind him, the sounds of his staff wafted up with the smells of savory meats and sweet deserts that made his mouth water.

Given the nature of the event, his guests would be unarmed, but their security was more than accounted for; local security forces and a compliment of Imperial stormtroopers from the local garrison would patrol the perimeter, and make sure that only invited guests and staff would be permitted entrance. Rann fastened the clasps on his dress uniform and walked into the enterance hall. The guests would be arriving any minute.

Ciara
Attaché
Attaché

Re: Foundation Day

Post by Ciara » 2014-05-04 22:11

Foundation Day party... now that sounded like a perfect opportunity to mingle with humans and practice her social skills. Another great thing about it was that was was off work for once. Although the Emperor allowed her spare time in which to do she personally wanted - playing Dejarik over the HoloNet for example - it wasn't the same thing as getting a whole day off to do whatever.

And the food... there was bound to be plenty exotic kinds from all over the galaxy. So many interesting tastes, smells, people to see. Ciara almost giggled in anticipation. Oh, and it gave her a reason to dress up in something other than a business suit. She had picked a long red strapless evening dress with something she imagined was real human girl feelings. Did the men have similar feelings about dressing up in front of a mirror, or was it just her? There was something enjoyable in just trying on different things to see how her image changed with it.

Her HUD identified the person just beyond the entrance: Rann Gast, human male, service in the NIF Starfleet as a Commander. His service record was long, distinguished, and spotless, if not one of the most known navy officers. He had a genetic irregularity which was apparently a family trait: red eyes, although he didn't look the part. Her optical scanners suggested contact lenses with a quickly increasing probability as she observed his face. None of that told her what she wanted to know, though. From his posture, spotless dress uniform, and demeanor she assumed that he was something of a role model officer, and apparently, he was also the host of this party, so she would need to meet with him. Something she already looked forward to as she approached the tall, seemingly aloof man. Was he considered handsome? She didn't know, although so far he had many of the qualities her magazines suggested for an appealing man.

"Ciara Laton, attaché with the Emperor's staff. Pleased to meet you", she announced to him. She had the sudden urge to support her chin with her fist in the air, but suppressed it - her subroutines suggested that it could be seen as a manly gesture or even an aggressive one in certain cultures. She spent 40% processing power over the next few microseconds just to try and figure out why she felt like doing it, and like countless times prior, she had no real answer. Was living like this for humans? Not knowing why they wanted to do something or even what they did for most part. Like countless times before, she wondered for a microsecond if she would ever understand or if not knowing and just winging it was the point.

Rann Gast
Commander
Commander

Post by Rann Gast » 2014-05-05 05:17

"Sir, the first guest has arrived." Rann was roused from his thoughts at the sonorous sound of his butler's voice. He had been thinking, whenever he was back home, of his family. It was hard not to, having grown up in this very house. It had been many years since a party had been held at the estate, since before his grandfather's death, and the staff was energetic and brimming with excitement at the prospect of, not only holding a party, but one with a guest list such as this.

"Excellent, show her in, please, and then kindly inform my fiancée that the guests are arriving. She should be ready by now." Rasca had joined him here. They got precious little time together, their duties being as they were: he was constantly aboard ship, and she was usually pouring over legal briefs. She had always fussed over her appearance and took far too long to get ready for anything more complicated than going shopping. He always told her she looked beautiful, and he meant it. But she always gave him that half amused, half pitying shake of her head and went back to accessorizing or some such thing.

The heavy wooden doors opened and a young lady entered. She looked far too young to be in the military, but perhaps she just had a young face. Regardless, he couldn't quite shake the idea that there was something...off about her, though he was hard pressed to put his finger on it. The dress she had worn was quite beautiful, though simple enough in style, and a very flattering color on her.

She introduced herself, "Ciara Laton, attaché with the Emperor's staff. Pleased to meet you." Rann snapped his boots together and made a half bow towards Ciara. Kane had a woman so young as a member of his entourage? She must be some sort of genius or something, then, the Commander thought to himself.

"Welcome, Miss Laton, to my humble home, the pleasure is all mine. I am Commander Rann Gast of the Imperial Navy, and I must say it is the highest honor and an absolute privilege to have a member of His Imperial Majesty's staff here," he intoned in his clipped, core world accent. "Please make yourself at home, you are the first guest to arrive. Can I get you something? A cocktail, perhaps? I think you'll find my collection quite satisfactory." He raised one gloved hand and a waiter appeared as though out of thin air." As he turned to the waiter to ask for a drink himself, Rasca came down the grand staircase, wearing a beautiful turquoise gown complimenting her tanned skin, and a pair of simple diamond studs sparkling as much as her chocolate eyes.

"Ah, darling! I have someone I'd like you to meet. This is Miss Ciara Laton, she's on the His Imperial Majesty's staff. Miss Laton, I'd like to introduce my fiancée, Detention Officer Rasca Laut."

Rasca smiled at the young girl, and extended her hand, "Hello, it's a pleasure to meet you."

Ciara
Attaché
Attaché

Post by Ciara » 2014-05-07 11:41

"Hello", Ciara said neutrally and took Rasca's hand lightly in hers. Men were supposed to have a firm handshake for some reason - her database suggested that it could be a way to establish hierarchy or at least represent trustworthiness. Women had more flexibility in that regard. She turned lightly back to officer Rann to answer his original question, "A cocktail would be nice, I think. There are so many different kinds. I find that the best ones are either those that present a coherent theme, so to speak, or those that have a very varied approach, for example with sour and fresh taste on one layer that may be yellow, followed by one that is sweet and mellow and pear, then a red layer with a cherry taste."

Although this Rann Gast so far seemed to fit her secured link information, she decided to call it prejudice and see where this conversation would lead her. "I didn't bring a date, was I supposed to?", she asked Rasca while Rann busied himself by talking to someone in the staff she believed, making some final arrangements.

"Not at all", she replied with a genuine looking smile. "Although you may find one at the party if you wish."

"I think I'll just mingle for the time being. Didn't expect to be the first guest, though. Is that what they call fashionably late? Everyone of note showing up after the given time? I have to make a note of that."

The waiter - actually a real, humanoid waiter and not a droid - had a drink tray. All the glasses looked interesting, from Admiral McFini's famous Blue Wave in different versions to the Elshandruu Pica Thundercloud in a glass with a lock to keep the flashes fresh until consumption. Rann Gast had also proven a very generous host and had without asking for it attracted another waiter with the hors d'oeuvres, everything from bofa treats to banja cake and even almond-kwevvu crisp-munchies.

"I'll have this", she made her pick and made a gesture to the other waiter that indicated that for the moment, she didn't want a treat to go with her drink.

"Mm, Flameout", she declared as she took a sip from her glass. "Did you know that it replaced the Cometduster in popularity in the Outer Rim? It's pretty hard to find unless you go to a remote cantina these days. That's too bad, I kind of like the 'duster. Tingles my brain", she said with a brief smile. "I haven't properly thanked you yet, commander Gast. You are being a very accommodating host. So what can I expect for today?".

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Organizational Unit: Executive Officer of TFJ, Fourth Fleet.

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2014-05-10 18:27

Abraxes Rancor fixed his dress uniform as he stepped out of the modest looking airspeeder that dropped him off at the party. In his pocket , was a datapad filled with several tidbits of work still needing to be pondered for fourth fleet. Normally a bunch of requisition requests.

He'd been invited to this celebration for Foundation Day by a man he held in inestimable esteem for his patience and insight. One officer by the name of Rann Gast. The man had proven essential in learning the ropes of fourth fleet during Rancor's prior inquiries, and he wished the officer well in his future endeavors. Since Draaygo had rose to prominence as fourth fleet's CO, Rancor assumed Gast was being groomed for something... greater. If not, perhaps Rancor could coax him into a few temporary, duty station if he could be blunt: the federation still needed him on the lines.

Though he could only wonder where Rann was stationed now.

As he entered the building he noticed several members of the staff carrying trays and dishes, their name tags citing various measures of address and station of their function in preparing for the party. One he oddly glanced at was cited as being a 'jack king.' He only remembered it because of the odd name. Mr. Gast must have brought extra staff on to assist in the preparation of the the party, though Rancor didn't think that there would be much of any surprises. Not with the local garrison lines providing extra security.

As he entered the main hall he smiled as he noted Mr. Gast talking to one of the guests and waited his turn to offer the host a gift of a botttle of aged wine. It was always nice to bring something to a function like this a token of one's appreciation...

Loki Mortist
Infiltrator
Infiltrator
Organizational Unit: IntOrg/ Adjustments

Post by Loki Mortist » 2014-05-10 18:50

"Hey King! You ready with the hors d' oeuvres tray? Guests are beginning to arrive!" the chef yelled at him.

"Two minutes chef. Then it'll be ready." 'Jack King' just smiled as he took the flimsiplast wrap off the tray and scooped a handful of dipping sauces into their respective serving dishes, each one surrounded by a variety of finger foods. and appetizers, and other easily held foods. The dips were thick, based upon sour cream, milk, yogurt, mayonnaise, soft cheese, and a variety of spiced selections designed to enhance Dac shrimp and a variety of vegetable assortments. All chosen and defined based on their ability to "maintain contact with its transport mechanism over three feet of white carpet" be it a chip, or a tuber slice.

Nothing but the best for Officer Gast's party.

So why was 'Jack King' here? Well, aside from the security that was already allotted, ISIS almost always had a few people around at any shindig. Mostly to prevent loyal officers from being accosted by potential infiltrators interested in more then just drunken 'pillow talk' and networking. On average, ISIS factored at least two Rebel spies at every gathering in the past ten years, whether they were found out and neutralized, or not.

So such parties with prominent members of the various peerages of officers measured at least a single team of ISIS agents on the premises , all for the 'just in case' scenario as a means to simply keep their tradecraft fresh. Even if nothing happened. It was amusing at least.'Jack King' as his name tag stated, was actually known to his friends by a few other names. Though in truth his orders to be here were addressed under the name he signed up under, Loran Mortist.

He had always found these assignments rather interesting since his time as a former 'street rat.' It was always interesting to see how the 'other 90 percent of society' lived.

"That tray ready now?"
"Yes , Sir."
"Then take it out to the arriving guests and don't screw up! The chief waiter will be watching you guys tonight! Mess up and it's coming out of your pay! Don't make eyes at the ladies either!"
"I understand, Sir." With a nod of acknowledgement, Mortist lifted the tray to his right shoulder, balancing it with a hand in the center as he ventured off to give the guests the first rounds of appetizers as another waiter began to pass out some drinks.

Smiling as he worked, Mortist wondered what the night would hold. At very least he hoped he wasn't dressed up in a monkey suit for nothing. If the waiter job didn't work, he could always grab that tux Eva was holding for him in the cloak room.

Rann Gast
Commander
Commander

Post by Rann Gast » 2014-05-12 21:11

Rann listened to the young woman discuss cocktail variations and gave her a smile. There was something about her that could point out the obvious things that were never given much thought by other people, it seemed. He of course knew different tastes paired well with each other, but never really thought to vocalize it as a novel concept.

As the young girl turned to Rasca to discuss bringing, or in Ciara's case potentially finding one, Rann turned to a butler, who informed him that several more guests were on their way up the drive, and that the crew for the fireworks was prepped and ready to launch after dinner. The Commander nodded and turned back to the conversation, just as Ciara ordered a Flameout. He picked up a snifter of Cassandran brandy for himself, and Rasca took a glass of a full-bodied Cambrian red wine.

He nodded with interest at the fact about the Flameout's popularity in the Outer Rim, and smiled when she thanked him for being an accommodating host. "I wonder why it's picked up popularity in the Outer Rim. Oh, and thank you, it's always a pleasure to host a party, and I have precious few opportunities to do so these days. As to what you can expect, after everyone arrives, we'll move on to dinner in the dining hall where we will have Bivoli tempari with Velossian Caramachi Shell-back in Suvoli cream. After dessert, mist pudding, we'll move out into the gardens where there will be live music preceding fireworks." As he finished, he noticed Abraxes Rancor. Rann knew him from his time in Fourth Fleet. A good man, and eager to learn. Rann waved him over and graciously accepted the bottle of wine, a lovely vintage.

"Abraxes, a pleasure to see you. I trust you've been busy over in Justice? I have someone I'd like for you to meet: Miss Ciara Laton. She's a member of the Imperial Staff. Miss Laton, this is Lieutenant Commander Abraxes Rancor, Executive Officer of Task Force Justice in the Fourth Fleet, one of our rising young stars in the Starfleet." He handed the bottle to a passing waiter with instructions that it should be decanted and that he would have a glass with dinner.

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2014-05-14 00:25

As the bottle was handed off to a passing waiter, Rancor merely waited patiently as the throng of those serving the guests began to pick up to a higher pace.

At Gast's introduction of the young lady Abraxes turned and nodded respectfully towards her. Then he did extend a hand to shake her own and bow slightly at the waist to her. Unlike most gentlemen wannabes he wouldn't bend over to kiss the back of her hand. That was actually an insult by the old codes of conduct for various societies, as it would be proclaiming the young woman was involved with the person who actually defamed her presence by kissing the back of her hand. Wars were started over less, and the sheer effrontery if she was actually married at such a young age would have been dreadful. Thus only a bow was appropriate. The only other faux pass would be if the woman was a nobleman or royalty, and there was a matter of fealty in play before negotiations could begin.

He presumed since she was introduced as an attache upon the emperor's staff she was already well versed in diplomatic and social mores and cultural ettiquites. Besides, treating every civilian that came here today with a bit of grace would be good practice. As an officer, he sort of damned the diplomatic lessons he had to research before even being given the advanced lessons pertaining to the Givin themselves, as their culture was who fourth predominantly had dealings with."How do you do, Miss Laton? I must ensure you that the Commander jests. I am no 'rising star' of anything, just an officer who does my duty as the Federation needs."

He looked about as a waiter came up to offer them all a sampling of hors d' oeuvres with various dips. That 'Jack King' fellow again. Odd name that one. He took a selection for himself, a bit of a thick cheesed cracker with bits of dac shrimp and his own glass of a nonalcoholic bit of juice another waiter offered. He never drank at such events like these parties anyways, preferring to keep his wits about himself.

Besides, when he could steal away for a moment, he hoped to get a bit of work done. Nodding to both Miss Laton, and Commander Gast he tried to make a bit of small talk to bide the time till it was appropriate for him to leave their presence. "I do understand that this get together is a wonderful celebration of Foundation Day. I was just wondering if we might see any traditions here besides the fireworks today? Perhaps a toast or two at dinner? Do either of you know a good one?"

Ciara
Attaché
Attaché

Post by Ciara » 2014-05-14 09:16

"You are being too modest, lieutenant-commander", Ciara replied with a quick curtsey. "Were you not recently promoted as part of 'doing your duty' in a classified mission?", she asked and flashed a smile.

"But to answer your question, there should be a public speech on holovision. Since the Emperor recently held a public address to the Senate, it will be held by Supreme Chancellor Reuben Edarra. Or, if we aren't watching that, there may be a toast and a speech by our host, optional, as I understand", she filled in and cast Rann a glance as she raised her drink with her left hand and took a sip.

"Mm, I have to get me something chocolate with this."

She didn't have to go looking. The waiter with the hors' d'oeuvres was still paying close attention to the people around his boss - the host, Rann Gast - and he appeared again as if summoned by a spell.

"Thank you, I'll have one of these M'pire Party Favours", she smiled again and picked up a red one, having a brief flashback that implied that black cookies had a dark side or something of that nature. For some reason it felt like it was associated with the Supreme Commander, but as far as Ciara knew, that man wasn't much for cooking... although... there was once something the Emperor had said about Wesiri cooking up something... some kind of creature, she thought.

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2014-05-17 22:45

Rancor sighed a moment at Ciara's statement before tilting his head as if to ponder something. The young girl may have been cleared for such things but it was obvious to him that certain protocols of operational security seemed to have escaped her. "Young Ms. Laton. Please be more considerate of where you are when using the term 'classified.'Theoretically, and this is just theoretically... if something happened on a classified mission or the result of a classified mission, I surely wouldn't be speaking about it at a casual get together when I'd be unsure of whether or not anyone else was listening in."

He gave the girl a wink to soften his words, not wanting it to seem like he was lecturing the young woman, instead only as if sharing a bit of humor. "But to answer, or rather not answer, your own question: I would merely see such acts as nothing special but rather simply an extension of any officer doing what needed to be done. Even the confirmation or non confirmation that a classified mission might have , or have not, taken place would be ill conducive to the federation's security. Therefore it is best one does not attempt to discuss details of such things, even the specifics of any knowledge of whatever officer, attache, or diplomat is doing bandied about in the wrong setting could be detrimental as to hinder future operations. In short, Miss Laton, it's bad manners to use the word 'classified' in a party setting unless it's used as a joke or as a degree of humor."

He let a grin widen upon his face as he looked at Rann and winked, "For example, it has been a long standing classified joke that Fourth fleet would love to possess a Modified super star destroyer that had the speed and design concepts of an upscaled devastator class star destroyer based upon the theory of creating a maximum battleship designed for speed in between 19,000 and 22,000 meters. You seem like a bright girl, so maybe you'd like this bit of a running joke camoflauged as a simple intellectual exercise."

Taking out his datapad he opened a file to show the girl, "This particular file was passed from Vareshi, to Gast, to Draaygo, and to myself at one point or another as a mental exercise to prepare someone for fourth's goals. Along with the image. The idea was to find a means of making an old ESD, now the Nemesis class super star destroyer have a maximum speed of 100 MGLT standard while at least maintaining the standard firepower of a normal ESD, or now an NIFSSD. Now the aspects of the exercise was to take into consideration the increases in mass as well as strengthening of the superstructure. Each person's solution to the concept was different than the others, mine was to integrate and 'grow' the proposed vessel from two linked world devastators that were masked as the pontoons. All the better to increase the repair capacity and incorporate a bit of..." Rancor coughed politely, "Theoretical new types of engines' and design elements and processes from the vengeance class to 'quote' make a full sized warship testbed for such maximized system usage before the Nemesis was potentially upgraded in such a manner. Of course leaving the capacity to enter and land in a planetary atmosphere."

Rancor looked amusingly in Gast's direction, wondering if he remembered all the crazy scenarios and theoretical problems Vareshi must have thrown his way during training, "Perhaps you could try to have a take on this, Miss Laton? Just think of it as a puzzle, I'd be interested in seeing what you could come up with. Of course the reason this is a joke amongst fourth fleet's personnel is we all doubt such a thing would ever get built."

He was handed his own 'party favor' and waited to see if Gast would lend his own stories about these dreaded types of exercises that they'd all been put through at one point or another.
Image+

Rann Gast
Commander
Commander

Post by Rann Gast » 2014-05-19 19:32

Rann had to laugh. Ibrahim had thrown several such scenarios his way over the course of his tenure in fourth. For some reason, that fleet always seemed to attract real characters. When Rann had first started, McFini had been commanding, and it was more common to find him behind a bar than behind his desk. In fact, he even had a droid designed that looked like a miniature AT-AT that functioned as a moving bar. Those were the days.

"Yes, we've had this idea kicking around almost as long as Fourth Fleet has existed. When I first started, it was jokingly suggested that now-Grand Admiral McFini wanted a battleship that had a reinforced prow for ramming and had a speed above docking." He chuckled to himself, "One thing led to another, and it became more or less serious for various Fourth Fleet XOs, Task Force Commanders, and
Task Force XOs to add to the design and tweak it."

He smiled at Ciara, "But yes, to answer your question, I may have a few words planned for the evening."

He turned to look at the holopad to see what Abraxes had added to the design.

Loki Mortist
Infiltrator
Infiltrator
Organizational Unit: IntOrg/ Adjustments

Post by Loki Mortist » 2014-06-01 22:45

Meanwhile...

Loran popped the cork of a bottle of wine which was destined for the first table. A small hand scanner, designed to look like a button on his sleeve analyzing a small sample for any basic toxins before the head chef himself took it from his grasp. He had been handed it by the Master of the House himself, and silently both damned and blessed the fortuitous act.

He had recognized a certain red dressed young lady as his good friend Ci Ci, and save for the first instant had managed to keep the tray blocking her view of his features. He was happy the now, five year old was out and a bout and active, though a bit askance that she was already drinking some alcohol. Poor girl seemed to not have been kept aware that alcohol was for adults only. But it wasn't his job to reprimand her, though he was certainly glad to see the kid out and about. It had to be tough to be so young and adaptive to the horrible situation of being a full cyberneti-

Even better, she hadn't seemed to recognize him at all... or had she and just hadn't chosen to blow his cover?

An odd thought interjected into his mind of the possibilities of being around her could compromise his current assignment. 'He would have to admit she looked good in that dres- he immediately shut down that tangent interjecting horrible images to turn his thoughts in a different direction. Like a hutt in a bathing suit. Only after calming down did he remind himself to treat Ciara like a little sister regardless of how she looked.

A sometimes clueless, very intelligent, excellent at technowarfare little sister.

...Yes, that was for the best.

Sighing he waited for the raw data on the wine's check to be processed by his programs and hoped to dodge into the nearest alcove to look at the results. Only to be frustrated a bit as the Chef reached over and grabbed the bottle whole from where it sat upon the counter tops.

"That t'aint for you King. Now skedaddle and get back to work and don't dare be acting anyway other then proper." the chef admonished before Loran gave him a cheeky smile and grabbed another tray. He only ducked into an alcove near the cloak room to check the data once. Thankfully, the programs had stated there were no poisons that could be detected.

Giving a wide grin to a new set of guests he handed a few drinks out to the incoming party goers.