Skyview Lounge on the Intimidator

Open roleplaying at the Nemesis' lounge. Open scenario locations are not restricted to the lounge.

Moderator: S.T.A.R.S.

Forum rules
Open roleplaying at the Nemesis' lounge.

The Lounge offers a wide variety of foods and drinks from all over the galaxy while looking on the breathtaking view of the stars above the 20-km long arrowhead hull of the Federation's most elite battleship.
Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore
Custom Title: Fenrir 7, Lady Luck
Organizational Unit: TIE Defender Pilot of Fenrir Squadron

Skyview Lounge on the Intimidator

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2014-01-08 23:25

"See? I told ya the view from here can't be beat!"

Walking into the officer's lounge, Aquila was greeted with an amazing view from a gently curved viewport in front of her. The viewport faced the aft of the Intimidator though the lounge was located nearer the bow, a half kilometer away from where the smooth hull turned into the almost city-like structure that stretched back and up.

"Huh," Alath raised her eyebrows, "I can see the conning tower from here."

Towering above everything else in the distance was the narrow spire that made up the command section of the vessel, the main bridge being located near the top of that spire, just beneath the two shield generator domes that topped the tower on either side.

Aquila was breathless. Being a pilot, she had buzzed around the various vessels of the Empire before and all of them, while being massive in size and scale, didn't feel all that big given the speed at which her TIE was usually able to fly past the vessel. It was only now, looking out the viewport at the bridge of the ship ten-plus kilometers away did Aquila really get a full sense of just how big the ship was. "It's like looking out a hotel room window at a city skyline," Aquila observed in awe. Thousands of lights dotted the structures that rose up from the hull though how many of them were viewports versus strobes or running lights was anyone's guess. It still looked beautiful as high above the vastness of space blanketed the view, almost giving her a sense that she was standing on a planet rather than a spaceship.

Mayli smiled, looking quite pleased with herself. "Yep, thought this would be a good place to crash once in a while, espeically since our quarters and usual haunts don't come with a single viewport."

"That's not entirely true," Alath started to point out but Mayli didn't let her continue.

"Well sure, the squadron lounge has a view of the hanger but, save that small sliver of space we can see beyond the mag field, I'm kinda getting tired watching droids putter about."

Walking deeper into the lounge, they were surprised at how empty and quiet the place was. Aquila supposed that other people were spending their off time elsewhere, assuming they were off duty in the first place. Plush chairs were covered in a deep blue fabric that looked inviting to sit on, white trim along the edges added a gentle accent to the design of the chair. The black floor was waxed to a high gloss and Aquila couldn't help but wonder how she was not slipping and sliding around. Round tables had the same sheen and colour as the floors but were accented with bands of silver and a silver and gold Federation logo embedded in the center of each table.

"This place oozes my rank-plaque-is-bigger-than-yours," Alath muttered as they approached the bar. Aquila smiled a little, suppressing a gentle laugh. It was hard to get used to the idea they were actually allowed here and probably wouldn't be if not for Mayli, bored out of her wits one day, decided to go for a very long hike around the vessel, seeing which places she could legitimately access- or so Aquila hoped they were authorized to be here. Shaking her head, Alath added, "Reminds me of one of those upscale nightclubs reserved for those who make the Kuat's Top Ten-thousand list, or can bribe the bouncer enough to seem like it."

Approaching the bar, the droid attending it- decked in a very reflective and shiny silver coating- greeted them in a surprisingly cheerful tone. "Good evening Flight Directors. Welcome to the Skyview Lounge. May I serve you a drink?"

Looking at the selection of liquor on the glass shelves behind the droid, the three of them hesitated for a moment. Alath was the first to break the uneasy silence as she ordered a bottle of Dac import. Mayli went for a Corellian ale.

"Just a cup of tea," Aquila said sheepishy.

"She'll have a bottle of import too," Alath added, quickly tugging on Aquila's arm to pull her away before she could protest. "We've got the next two days off so why not unwind a little?" Her question was simply meant to buy time for them to put some distance between them and the droid to further hinder Aquila's efforts to decline the drink. Walking down a couple steps to the large seating area, the group found a curved booth to sit at that offered an extraordinary view of the vessel's structure. Aquila sat down, her blue eyes fixated on the quiet beauty suffocating void beyond.

"One day I'll venture over there," Mayli mused aloud, a mischievous grin on her face. "I hear it's nothing but officers once we venture past the midsection of the ship."

"I believe that," Alath snorted, "I doubt there's many hangers that way."

Aquila spotted a Star Destroyer slowly pull into view, appearing from just behind them as it flew towards the aft of the Intimidator. Though it was still a fair distance away, probably five or so kilometers, it still looked immense. Compared to the hull of the vessel they were on, however, Aquila thought the ISD looked like a toy or model ship rather than a vessel of war. Several small specks appeared to come out of the Star Destroyer, catching her attention. A trio of TIEs departing either for a simple training flight or just out for a spin though they were well too far for her to tell what model of TIE they were, or if they were even TIEs at all.
"If you believe in luck, wish for the good version." -Lando Calrissian, Shadows of the Empire

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Re: Skyview Lounge on the Intimidator

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2014-01-12 20:39

The drinks arrived, and despite Aquila's efforts to not touch the alcohol Alath had ordered for her, she eventually succumbed to peer pressure and took a sip. It tasted awful, just as she expected and she shuddered at the wretched aftertaste it left in her mouth. The other two women just laughed. "Gotta drink more to get used to it," Alath mused, picking up the bottle and waving it in her direction.

Aquila shook her head, firm resolve coming back to not touch the stuff. "No thank-you," she said in her usual demure tone, shying away from the bottle like it was a scary clown as she held her tea cup close to her, protecting it from any further attempts of being spiked.

"We have to find you a drink you enjoy," Mayli said, staring at Aquila suddenly as though trying to see right though her uniform and into her very soul. It was a rather frightening look that Aquila had never seen the woman make, though it wasn't often Mayli thought about something for more than a minute, instead preferring to live in the moment, at lightspeed preferably. "You hate beer, I doubt you find much enjoyment drinking the hard stuff." Mayli's gaze narrowed, as though Aquila just insulted her. "Wine?" Turning to look at Alath, she asked, "Has she ever tried wine before?"

"I think so. Come to think of it, I think she drink a whole glass once." Smacking her forehead, Alath seemed to remember something. "Of course, nobility drinks wine!"

The comment stung deep, even though Aquila knew Alath didn't mean it to. There was noble upbringing with her life, a fact Aquila tried to forget regularly. "Wine's okay," she said softly, hoping a quick acceptance of the fact would get the other two women to quickly move onto ordering her a glass and bring the whole thing back to more cheery subjects that would allow her to go back to forgetting what was just mentioned. Fortune must have been with her, along with a cruel sense of humour as they didn't order her a glass of wine but instead a whole bottle. Thankfully the serving droid arrived with a trio of glasses so it wasn't as bad.

"I'm really not looking forward to my tab," Alath mused as she set down her empty beer bottle alongside the six empty ones before it. "Oh well, it's not like my credits go to much else these days." She took the bottle and started filling the glasses. "My family is well off already so everything I earn I get to burn!" She paused, as though struck by an afterthought. "Hey, that sounded pretty good!"

"You should take up extreme sports," Mayli offered, "You haven't lived until you try extreme-G space-to-skydiving!"

"I'd rather keep my sanity," Alath snorted. "And there's more to life than going five-thousand kilometers a second."

"Like what?" Mayli countered.

"Like settling down with someone, having a family and- oh wait, on second thought, one of you is bad enough."

"Shut-up!"

Aquila could already envision this conversation was going to quickly turn in her direction, in fact it was probably all part of Alath's well construed plan to begin with. Reaching for her glass of wine, she took a sip. It was a red wine and would probably go a lot better with a meal but in this case she wasn't going to complain. It was an expensive bottle and she didn't want Alath's credits to go to waste by refusing her generosity. Still, I could go for something to eat.

"Speaking of which," Alath began, much to Aquila's well concealed foreboding, "How are you and army-boy getting along?"

Despite her best efforts to remain aloof, Aquila's face betrayed her as it started to redden. "We're good friends," she managed, just able to keep her composure and not stutter in surprise.

"That's it?" Alath asked, the emphasis on her words hinting that she already knew there was more to it than Aquila was letting on. "C'mon, I know the two of you are a thing." Aquila didn't need to answer, the increasing redness in her face was indication enough, a situation made worse by Mayli's high-pitched squeal of joy at hearing that news as though she had just been selected to test out a new hyperdrive.

"It's... I'm..." Aquila started, trying to find the words to defuse the situation before her eardrums were ruptured. Sadly, she couldn't formulate the right words without either lying or fully admitting to the validity of Alath's words. In an effort to buy herself time, she took another sip of wine, probably also part of Alath's grand plan too. It was the perfect storm situation now and Aquila felt trapped. She didn't know what to say so she sipped more wine to buy herself time. She sipped more wine and felt her senses start to fog up which left her ripe for the other two to get her more riled up.

The minutes ticked away and suddenly Mayli's comm buzzed. "Hello, Banshee here," she began after answering. There was a pause as the person on the other end spoke. "Wait, what? Oh shoot! That was today!?! Aw fizzlesticks! I'll be there in ten minutes!!!" Disconnecting the call, she got to her feet quickly. "I'm sorry to bail on you like this, but I forgot today was the day I was supposed to play some null-g hockey!"

Alath frowned. "That doesn't sound like a very extreme sport."

Mayli smiled. "It is when everyone straps on rocket packs and we litter the field with concussion mines." Both Aquila and Alath gave her a blank look in response. "What? They're non-lethal. Just used for knocking the players around! Hey, why don't you two come and try it out? You never know, you might like it!"

"Somehow, flying around slapping a little black disc at other people while being tossed around by mines doesn't really strike me as something I'd like." Alath snorted at the prospect of the game, unamused by it. "But you go on and have a blast." With a smile and a wave, Mayli departed, leaving the other two behind. Picking up the wine, Alath topped off Aquila's glass. "I swear, she's going to think running through a minefield naked is the ultimate in extreme sports."

Aquila couldn't help but laugh a little at that remark. "Actually, I was thinking of taking up zero-G gymnastics myself for the off hours." That got Alath to raise an eyebrow in response. "It sounds like fun at any rate."

Taking a sip of the wine and making a sour face as she took a fairly large sip, Alath shook her head. "I suppose we all should find a hobby or two to pass the time aboard these ships." Her comlink buzzed suddenly. "What the-? Hello, Alath here. … Oh hi Boss! Whatsup?" There was a long pause before Alath's expression suddenly dropped. "Really? Now? Can't it wait until- No? But... No- actually yes, I am doing something terribly important! Keeping Aquila company and- … Well no, but-" There was a long pause and then a really long sigh from Alath before she relented to whatever Jack was wanting of her. "Okay, okay, fine. I'll be there in about five minutes. You want anything? No... Alright then." Putting the comlink away, Alath looked apologetically over to Aquila. "You've done your performance evaluation already?"

Blinking once, Aquila nodded. "Earlier this week, yes."

Sighing again, Alath muttered, "You were supposed to tell me when you went in to do yours."

Now it was Aquila's turn to look sorry. "I was going to, but you were called to that conference."

"Oh right, now I remember. Darn nuggets. Actually, darn command for thinking I actually know something worth passing down." She laughed. "Anyways, I better get going and get this done, otherwise Boss'll miss his deadline and that'll make us look worse." There was a pause before she added half-jokingly, "Than we already are I mean. You gonna stick around?"

Aquila glanced at the bottle of wine and opened her mouth to reply when Alath said first, "Jack'll kill me if I go bringing that in. You keep it. Maybe call army-boy and finish it off for Mayli and I. See ya in the morning!" She winked before beating a hasty retreat to the exit, leaving Aquila alone with a still mostly full bottle of red and an awkward silence.

Looking at the wine glass, Aquila thought about what Alath suggested. Why not invite Spyker? He's probably too busy with training or on a mission to come and meet me spur of the moment like this. Besides, he's not even stationed on this ship. As she debated, the server droid appeared and started loading Alath's many beer bottles onto a tray before gesturing to the other mostly empty glasses.

"May I take those Flight Director?" it inquired.

"Uh... sure." Aquila smiled back.

"And your glass?" It gestured to her glass that was still at least half full.

Thinking quickly, Aquila grabbed it and took another sip before handing it to the droid. She stopped short however, pulling it back and saying, "I'll hold onto this one for now. And do you have another wine glass you could bring by chance?" The droid nodded, taking away the empty tea cup before disappearing for a moment. Pulling out her own comlink, feeling a little left out that no one had called her, she contacted Spyker. It rang several times and Aquila wasn't sure if she should leave a message or not.

"Hello, you have reached the holo-mailbox of," the automated voice began before Spyker's cut in suddenly.

"...Sergeant Katarn."

"Please leave a message after the tone."

"Uh, hi. It's me, er, Aquila. Um... I, I know it's a last minute sort of thing but, well, if, if you're free and maybe near the Intimidator, I'm up at the Skyview Lounge, by the hanger. It, ah, it would be nice to see you again. But if you're busy, I understand. Take care and stay safe. Bye." Hanging up quickly, she was startled and jumped in her seat when the serving droid suddenly set a glass down on the table. It seemed to pay her no mind as it asked in a plain voice if she cared for anything else. "Um..." she stalled, trying to regain her herself, "A couple of menus perhaps?"
"If you believe in luck, wish for the good version." -Lando Calrissian, Shadows of the Empire

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2014-02-13 05:08

'Just a little higher...there!' The deactivated training remote hovered right at eye level, held up by Spyker Katarn's mental fortitude alone. Having started to go a bit stir-crazy during his forced leave since the incident during the Surface Marshal's rescue, Spyker had decided to use the time to focus on his Force training. The holocron that Supreme Commander Wesiri had given him gave him just the means to do so, and was bringing him through some of the basics. He suspected it was due to an understanding that his former master, Kyp Baker, had not managed to bring him along before his untimely death.

Focusing intently on the hovering orb, Spyker pictured it rotating in a mental image, trying to spin it around. While most Force users preferred to have hand gestures to guide them and make it easier, the commando had opted to forgo this, knowing that superfluous movement in the field could reveal his position to an alert enemy. As a result, he'd found that it was a fairly difficult process...though still less arduous on his mind than the Special Forces training period known as Hell Week ever was. At least here in the relative comfort of his cabin on the Angel he didn't have a pack of drill sergeants screaming at him. A blip in his focus caused him to jut out his hand to catch the remote just before the ship's PA system came online.

"Attention all hands, stand by for docking with the Intimidator. Repeat, all ship personnel to docking stations." Placing the remote back in its carrying case, Spyker threw on a light jacket before grabbing his wristcomp and heading out to just be off the ship for a bit. Although he was not active duty, there was always the chance he could be contacted by his handler for emergency deployment. Given the temperature of the water he was likely in though, that seemed a remote possibility.

At the airlock, a shudder of the ship as the Angel made contact with the floor of the Nemesis-class ship's capital-size docking bay preceded the lowering of the craft's main landing hatch where Spyker and several other crew and operators waited to disembark. It had been some time since Spyker had been on the Int, as her crew and troops affectionately called her, and he took a moment to look around the cavernous room before making his way into the passageway. Having no particular destination in mind, he headed aft, towards where a proper long-distance firing range could be found.

Those plans, though, were not to be, as shortly after he embarked his comlink went off. It clicked past the ring before Spyker could get the combead into his ear, and went directly to h-mail. Listening to it, he was surprised to find it was Aquila calling him. After their last sojourn, he hadn't expected to hear from her so soon, given the events that transpired on the prison ship. It was an opportunity he wasn't going to pass up though, as knowing her, it probably took a good deal of daring. He switched directions and headed to the nearest lift to the top deck where Skyview was. In short order, he was walking through its door.

'Damn, TF Conquest does not mess around when it comes to creature comforts. If we had this level on the Angel, we'd never get anything done,' Spyker thought as he saw the lavish accoutrements in this particular R&R area and the spectacular sight out the viewport. A flash of yellow near the transparisteel window drew his eye, and he began to move in that direction. Before he got very far, though, one of the serving droids stepped in front of him.

"I'm sorry, Sergeant, but you are not authorized to be here at your rank."

Raising an eyebrow, Spyker tapped a few keys on his wristcomp, swapping his Army codes for his other, higher-level ones. "I'm afraid there's been a slight mistake. If you could check again, please?" He could almost hear the droid's processor whirring away as it cross-checked his new coding.

"My apologies, Apprentice Katarn. Go right ahead. Is there anything I can get you?"

"A lowball of Whyren's, if you'd be so kind. Neat." With that, the droid moved away and Spyker continued onwards. He never liked to advertise his status in the Order, but it did sometimes come in handy. Making sure to move into her field of vision before reaching her, he stopped at the table and smiled at her. "Got your message. Still feel like some company?"
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2014-02-13 15:08

Aquila blinked, surprised at Spyker's presence as he approached. In all honesty, she hadn't expected him to show up, it was a completely last minute thing and, for all she knew, he could have been clear on the other side of the galaxy when she sent the invitation. The shock quickly faded, replaced with a deep feeling of joy mixed with relief. "O-of course," she said, sliding over in the round booth to all him a seat on the plush seat rather than the chair that would otherwise leave his back to the outstanding view of the immense ship. "I hope I didn't get you at a bad time." She folded her hands and rested them on her lap, shifting a little in her chair. He was a very busy man, but, then again, it seemed a lot of people were, even Fenrir squadron was getting more and more assignments as of late, be it because of their experience, their choice in craft or simply because they all had x0.25 hyperdrives which was a rare upgrade choice for many Imperial pilots, a choice that was probably going to be rarer still for squadrons who didn't want to be constantly thrust into hot zones.

The waiting droid appeared and set a glass of whyren's down on the table in front of Spyker. "For you Sir." Looking at Aquila, it asked, "Anything else for you Ma'am?"

She looked at the still mostly full bottle of wine and shook her head. "I'm good. Just a couple of menus?"

The droid gestured to a trio of small binders already on the table. "I'll come back to take your orders in two-point-seven minutes." It walked off, leaving Aquila to puzzle over what point-seven of a minute was. She was okay with math, but she couldn't do fractions like that in her head very well, usually working in absolutes with her job, everything either rounded up or down for time or just changed to a different scale entirely like centimeters or seconds.

Reaching for a menu in an effort to get her mind off the math, she handed it to Spyker, having already looked through it herself and decided on a simple grilled nerf dish. "There's a lot of choice in there," she began, having wondered if it was a byproduct of having pilots from so many different worlds coming here with so many different tastes or simply Third Fleet doing its best to accommodate everyone to try and make them feel less homesick? "It's funny though, why would anyone eat at the mess hall when places like these are scattered all over the ship?"

As he glanced through the menu, Aquila looked at him and wondered what he had been doing just before coming here. A slight sheen was present on his forehead, evidence that he had just come from a workout or working out. He seemed to notice her gaze and she quickly looked away when he looked at her. "Sorry," she began quickly, worried as though she had been staring for too long. "I was just wondering what sort of workouts you do..."

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2014-02-17 04:17

Spyker chuckled a little when he caught her staring, and her bashful explanation of why. For someone who seemed to be fairly popular amongst her service, she was surprisingly shy and demure. He was fast finding that he didn't mind. "Workouts? Just some yoga, light pilates, and..." The incredulous look he saw spread across Aquila's face was enough to make Spyker lose his deadpan and laugh. "I'm kidding. It's mostly calisthenics, to be honest. I do a little weight training, but not as much as the regular Army guys. Job requirement to stay lean, you could say. Why do you ask?"

"Oh... ah..." Spyker could see Aquila hesitate a bit before answering, fidgeting in her seat a little. "I thought maybe I had interrupted your routine. Or were you doing something else strenuous before coming here?"

"Not particularly. Trying a couple new things, but nothing crazy...yet." Grabbing his own copy of the menu, he took a look over it. "Fortuitious that you called; we were just landing on the Int when I got your message. It was either you or the firing range, and I've had enough time to myself lately." 'No thanks to that op,' he thought to himself. He flipped a page, and saw that this particular lounge offered traladon ribs, something he hadn't had in a while. "What looks good here? I've never come before."

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2014-02-17 14:28

"Um," she began, browsing through the menu Spyker was holding. Truth be told, a lot of it looked good, if very foreign to her. "Maybe the rancor ribs with snoruuk?" Her voice was coming out faster than her brain was able to process the selection and the image of a big, massive rancor, it's mouth wide open, teeth gnashing in search of its next meal was only slightly more unsettling then the idea of mushrooms that were able to move around by themselves. "Or, traladon ribs?" She wasn't sure why, but for some reason, ribs were sticking out. Maybe she wanted to try some? But they're so messy... she thought, remembering Pollix once taking advantage of an all-you-can-eat rib night on a previous ship. It was a messy ordeal and, in the end, that had been the last time the chefs ever hosted such an event, not just because of the sheer volume consumed but because of the mess left afterwards.

Was Spyker even a rib type of person? In all honesty, she didn't know a whole lot about him, save for a bit of his past which wasn't a whole lot, especially compared to the open book of her life he knew about her. But even the most basic things she felt eluded her. For a brief second, she thought about maybe asking him what he liked, but nerves once again got the better of her and she remained mute, hoping to rely on intuition or simple blind luck to pick the perfect choice for him. Her eyes continued to scan the menu as a small grin started to form across her lips suddenly, her body trembling slightly with silent laughter.

"What's so funny?" Spyker inquired.

Aquila didn't answer right away as she inwardly debated as to whether or not she should tell him. It sounded so silly in her head, the comparison she was drawing. However, she also had the presence of mind to know it would be impossible for her to make something up on the spot. "Well," she began, stalling for time so she could try and better phrase what she did find so amusing, "Trying to figure out what looks good. I want to say 'all of it' but, that won't help you decide at all. But then I realize I... er..." She hesitated, trying to muster up the courage to speak the next part. When she did speak again, it was in a very soft voice as she hung her head. "I realized I don't really know what your favorite foods are."

It failed to answer his question at all, and that fact hadn't escaped her either as she tried to get to that part. "So, I was sort of thinking trying to help you decide what's good is kind of similar to a game of pazaak, knowing when to play the right card from your hand or draw one from the table cards stack. Unless you know what you're doing and what the other person has, it's all just blind chance..." Looking up at him, she managed an awkward smile, her previous thoughts about it sounding silly seemed well founded.

"Is Sir and Ma'dam ready to order?" the waiting droid asked suddenly. Aquila had been so absorbed in her explanation that she hadn't noticed the droid approach and flinched at its sudden presence.

"Go ahead." Spyker gestured for her to order first, still having to make up his mind about what to have.

"Ah, I'll have the, um... Grilled nerf with white sauce," Aquila said, putting away a mental note that she'd have to do some extra zero-g gymnastics later to compensate. "Thank-you," she added courteously before looking over at Spyker, curious as to what he might order. Would he go for any of the two options she had suggested or would he go for something completely different? Ohhh, I hope he doesn't pick something I suggested just because I thought it looked good... She felt her stomach knot up and while she wanted to tell him not to worry about selecting any of the suggestions she offered, she also didn't want to appear rude in front of the droid. Her friends had no such qualms, the wine from earlier being proof of that. It was frustrating, and while she disliked it, she was also knew they didn't mean any harm and thus tolerated it but, at the same time, refused to do it in turn to others. So now she was stuck, waiting with baited breath as to what Spyker was going to select. It felt more nerve wracking than being on patrol, never knowing if the next waypoint would hold a bunch of pirates or New Republic starfighters.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2014-02-26 05:44

"Traladon ribs for me, thanks. Mashed and a salad." He handed the droid back the menu, and looked over to see Aquila looking intently at the table, her sides still quivering occasionally as the laughter died away. "I was considering getting those anyway, don't worry. When all you get to eat for days in the field is ration cubes, you don't really care what it is as long as it's hot and has more flavor than nutrient paste." Taking another sip of the Whyren's, he took a moment to savor the subtle burn of this particular blend as it went down. Each variety was different, and this one was one of the finer ones he'd had of late.

The two made small talk while waiting for their food to arrive, catching up on the events that had happened to them since they last saw each other on Corellia a little while ago. Well, to be honest, Spyker let Aquila do most of the talking; he still hadn't decided how much to tell her about his own duties yet, seeing as how the Tymora question still had yet to be resolved. Thinking about that led to another question that had been nagging at him for a while.

"How're things with the Commodore? Last I knew you'd transferred to Second, and now I hear you're back in Third?"

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2014-02-26 14:50

Shifting uncomfortably in her chair, Aquila hung her head as she felt incredibly small now. There wasn't a hole big enough in the galaxy for her to hide in but it was too late now as the question was posed. "Well," she began, trying to find the right words. How could she phrase her answer in such a way that wouldn't paint anyone in a negative light? Folding her hands together and placing them on her lap, she drew in a deep breath, still unsure of what to say. "He's, well, er... I mean, he's well but, ah, I... That is... He's nice enough and all, but..." she trailed off and looked away, feeling too ashamed to continue. She wished Alath were here, that woman seemed to be able to read her like a book and had no qualms about speaking for the both of them, even if she lacked the tact or elegance to properly phrase things. Sadly, she doubted there would be an intervention by her friend any time soon and, even if Alath came back, she'd probably take another table in the corner somewhere and watch with glee as the two "lovebirds"- as she would put it- shared a meal.

"I-I felt I rushed into things," she finally confessed, feeling her heart tear itself apart as she said those words. There weren't many ways she could admit she made a mistake but to say it so bluntly also made her feel worse. Sugar coating it probably wouldn't help either but she also didn't want to dodge the subject entirely either. "I..." Sighing out the rest of her breath, she finally mustered up the courage to look back at Spyker, her sad blue eyes searching for something in his expression to hint at his thoughts. Failing to find anything, she looked back down at her hands.

"We broke things off shortly before the squadron transferred back to Third." She didn't say whether the move was in spite of the broken relationship or because of it, but, truth be told, it was a little of both though not entirely. "I guess when he talked about his grand plans for us... I... I felt as though he was hoping I could abandon everything. Everything was happening so fast, and when he proposed-" Her voice cracked and though Spyker shifted a little in surprise, the tears that were welling up in her eyes prevented her from catching it. "I told him I couldn't just give up everything..." Her voice dropped to barely a whisper as she added, "Because there are some things that aren't so easily gotten dropped..."

Wiping her eyes, Aquila could feel a tiny part of herself actually feeling better that she was finally able to tell someone herself, rather than hear it deduced from a third-party, leaving her flushed and embarrassed that she couldn't confess it. That feeling was dwarfed by the shame she felt at jumping in blindly to the whole relationship and while she wanted to make up a thousand excuses ranging from the moment to the destruction of Alderaan- there had to be a cause-effect relation there somewhere- Aquila already feared she had said far too much as it was and didn't need to deepen her own grave.

"Tymora." It came out more as a statement than a question but Aquila nodded slowly to confirm it anyways.

"I... I feel bad for him, but I couldn't give up what little I have, especially if I can't resolve..." She paused, unsure of what to call the deeper, underlying issue. There was really only one way to phrase it so she decided to not mince words. "Resolve Tymora in a way that makes everyone happy, herself especially." She no longer felt all that hungry and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand again, trying to stop herself from weeping. It felt strange, talking about the other woman despite the fact they inhabited the same body. It was scary too and Aquila was still frightened about the whole thing.

Not wanting to get caught dwelling on that whole other issue, Aquila finished off Spyker's implied second question. "It was the following day I found out that Jack had put in for a transfer back to Third Fleet. He was citing that fleet was seeking talented pilots to fill their gaps from recent battles, and Mayli was just wanting to get into the thick of things more often than what was currently on offer..."

She trailed off and Spyker, ever observant, picked up on it and said, "But you think it was done to help you put some distance between yourself and the Commodore."

Nodding, she felt the tears stream down more. How cold she felt, even if she never once vocalized her thoughts to move away from Second Fleet but she wasn't going to point that out, say that it had to have been Alath who pushed for the decision on her behalf. "I-I'm a horrible person," she admitted, now trembling as she started to sob uncontrollably as she brought her hands up to her face. Pulling her hands away for a moment, she looked at them as another thought struck her. "I'm not even a person... I'm just a mask..."

Before she could break down and cry fully, the waiting droid arrived, a large tray with various plates of food effortlessly balanced on one hand as it started placing the dishes down before their respective patrons. "Grilled Nerf for the flight director and traladon ribs, mashed with a salad for the Sergeant. Is there anything else I can get either of you?" It seemed completely oblivious to Aquila's current emotional state but Spyker waved it away, saying they were good. "Very well. Please enjoy." It walked away casually, the tray tucked away under its arm.

The sweet aroma of food was making Aquila's mouth water though she no longer had much of an appetite as she felt a third the size as the grilled nerf on her plate.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2014-03-12 05:38

Well, this was an unusual situation for Spyker, to say the least. Even though he'd been in a few relationships over the years, most were short-lived, flings of one kind or another between jobs and being shuttled across the galaxy as the mercenary life tended to result in. A lifetime of solo operation didn't exactly lend itself an ability to comfort others, particularly when those others were contained inside a single young blonde across the table. He knew he had to say something, some words of encouragement or...or something, but he didn't know how. He pushed his food around for a few minutes as the two lapsed into an awkward silence before conversation resumed.

"Aquila, you're not a horrible person. At least, you aren't any more than the rest of us are. We all have our demons to deal with; yours just happen to have a greater effect on things. You're just as 'normal' as I am, or Alath, or Jack, or Tymora. You have your own thoughts, your own feelings, your own experiences. I know. I felt them back on PING." During the near-breakdown that Aquila/Tymora had when confronting her/their "father," Spyker absorbed some of the residual memories from Tymora's upbringing through his psychometric abilities. He was still sorting through the residual emotions that were transferred, some of which were even manifesting in his dreams as flashes of memory replayed in his mind. Interspersed with these though were some of Aquila's own: flight exercises with Fenrir, her schooling at the flight academy...her meeting with her brother after the events of Sarapin. This last one was particularly powerful, and seemed to have been the final trigger for Tymora's rise to the fore. Shaking his head, he changed subjects. "You say you're a mask, and you're right. This, who I'm seeing now, that's a mask. What you see in me, though, also is. We're all masks. Everything you see of everyone you meet is a mask of what they really are."

"I don't follow..." Spyker saw Aquila's forehead wrinkle in confusion. Maybe it was just his history as a merc, or maybe the heightened senses he'd developed during his Force training, but he'd learned to pick up on microexpressions even better than he used to in the underworld. She was skeptical, he could see, and he explained; she deserved to know by this point, and he made the decision to bring her in on some additional information. It would mean breaking classification, which could mean serious problems if anyone found out, but he needed to make his point.

"Have I ever told you what I actually do for the Army?"

"You're a soldier. Infantry, right?"

"Right...and also wrong. My unit doesn't exist, at least not officially. We do the jobs nobody else will, or can. Deep sabotage, misdirection. Me? I'm often used for wetwork." He paused to let that sink in for a moment, and saw her eyes widen slightly as she realized exactly what he meant. "I'm an assassin, to put it bluntly. This?" He gestured at the table, the food, the room. "This is my mask. I've been a soldier of sorts for over a decade now. A soldier of fortune before, a soldier of principles now. My home is the field, not the ship."

"Then why are you here?"

"Honestly? I'm here because you asked me to be. Meeting you in that range on the Nemesis changed things. How much, I can't say, but I know I'm not the same person I'd be if it hadn't happened. I do know that I'll be wherever you need me to be.

"That's me. That's my mask. The question is, who are you without yours?"

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2014-03-14 14:40

Shifting in her seat uncomfortably, Aquila looked away from him down at the folded hands in her lap. The question he just posed scared her more than anything, though in truth it was the answer that dwelled within her that was the source of the fear. "I..." she began, squeezing her hands together tightly and taking in a deep breath. "I'm...

"Nothing." A sigh escaped, the held in breath released in an instant. She stopped squirming and fidigting suddenly as she looked over at Spyker, scowling. "Is that what you wanted her to say? Wanted me to say?" Tymora shook her head and leaned back in the chair, staring out at the view the lounge offered them. It looked a lot like a city against the backdrop of space, except with a lot more metal. "I have no home because they've all been destroyed. I have no family because they're either incarcerated, dead or they're Force knows where." Her blue eyes narrowed, tears slowly welling up underneath them as the enormity of the situation and confession surfaced.

"I'm nothing," she repeated in full this time.

Tymora felt microscopic now more than ever before. Sitting in renewed awkward silence, she continued to stare out into space, her mind swirling with the implications associated with the realization of her situation. She no longer had a place anywhere, a traitor to the New Republic and only allowed to live in the Federation because it just so happened that the fake persona that was created for her happened to be a decent pilot with friends in all the right places, the perfect cover, it would seem, was too perfect and now she was left clinging to the only thing she had left to her: sanity.

She was stuck, caged and trapped with each day a struggle to go on. There was no one on the other side listening, no directives or objectives to try and accomplish any more. For Tymora, it seemed like the closest thing to purgatory without actually being dead, a dream she was experiencing, running through it without the ability to choose things for herself. The only difference was that it was a dream she could seldom wake from.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2014-03-19 04:52

"No," the enlisted man said sadly. "That's the last thing I wanted...Tymora." Spyker had heard the despair in her words as the other woman surfaced. He'd known she cracked after what had happened on the prison ship, after hearing the words from her father that she was some sort of construct, some...tool to be used and discarded once its intended purpose was over. He knew that feeling from his early teenage years on Coruscant, back when he'd been nothing but an orphaned kid small enough to fit through a warehouse's broken window. If he couldn't...well, consequences on the street were harsh, and he learned what he needed to learn to survive. To him, being nothing was...nothing at all. He changed tacks to address her last point.

"I've been where you are, you know. No family, no home, no place to go and no idea of what to do even if I got there." He took a sip of the water glass next to his Whyren's, the clear, crisp taste providing a nice counter to the burn of the alcohol. "My entire family was killed when I was a kid, but you knew that already. I lived in the Coruscant undercity for six years after that, doing whatever I needed to to survive. I lived through hell, and I know about running away and trying to pretend it never happened. I've got just as much as you do, maybe less." He punctuated that last part with a small, self-deprecating smile to hide the bitterness he felt, though it could be heard in the words themselves.

"That's what nothing is, the absence of anything. You've got more than that. Aquila does, too." He stopped swirling his drink around its glass, something he hadn't even noticed he'd been doing until just that moment. When he spoke again, his words were soft and sincere. "She, and you, have Fenrir. More than that, and more to the point, you've got me."

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2014-03-21 00:42

"I don't have Fenrir," Tymora observed, reaching for the wine glass nearby that hadn't been touched for a while. She took a small sip, using the opportunity to relish the experience of being in control again. Looking over at the man next to her, her eyes scanned his for any sign that he was trying to humor her. All she found was the truth, or something close enough to it that the sincerity in his words bit deep into her as she felt her chest tighten. She felt her left hand holding the wine glass start to tremble. The glass was set back down on the table and she looked for words, something to say to end the increasingly awkward silence between them.

"Spyker," she began, her tone beginning to take on a lecturing tone. "Abandonment and betrayal are two completely different things. You never got to know your family... I did. I thought it would always be the one constant in life." He looked skeptical at it, and for good reason. How could she find comfort in the experimentation forced upon her? "I was always weaker than everyone else, I could never beat anyone in a simple spar. I felt so worthless for so long but then, at one point- I forget exactly when- I saw that I didn't need to be strong to be useful, that this weakness could actually be turned around to something positive. Gathering information was easy and I finally felt like I had use."

Her voice trailed off as her hand instinctively reached for the wine glass again, her finger tips gently grabbing onto the delicate stem. "I remember after one of my earliest missions, having recovered plans about a cell holding a key figure, the smiles on Mom's face..." Her own face mimicked the expression in her memory for a brief moment before sadness took hold. "My Dad wasn't as impressed but he only cared for consistent results. But in that one moment, I no longer felt worthless, like nothing." Tears welled up in her eyes more but Tymora made an effort to fight them back.

She opened her mouth to speak again, but no words came out, the emotions inside of her making it impossible to continue on about how, after everything she had done, all the work she put in just to receive the same praise she had once found, it was all for naught and indeed she got quite the opposite, the feeling that her heart had just been torn out of her chest and thrown into a black hole. The emptiness left made her feel smaller than she ever had before. That's indeed all she was seen as. At first, a strange tool that had too much of a niche and now it was discarded, left to the scavengers of the galaxy to do with as they pleased.

"Now I feel that way again, except its worse now because I'm living in someone else's shadow, watching them get all the praise and affection." A bitterness entered her voice as she spoke but it swiftly disappeared as the sobering thought came out. "You're the only person who even knows I exist..."

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2014-05-05 02:53

"It doesn't have to be that way, you know. Some already suspect there's something different about Aquila, even if they don't realize exactly what that is." Spyker took another bite of the traladon, chewing it slowly before swallowing the flavorful meat. "Alath, for example."

"What?" The pilot's eyes narrowed at the sergeant. "What have you told her?"

"I've told her nothing. She was there when we retrieved you from your mother's laboratory on Commenor. She saw the screens; they said..." He closed his eyes to remember, pulling the memory from its compartment in his mind. "They said 'Reprogramming.' We didn't know what they meant at the time, but I have a suspicion now after all we've heard. They were either waking you up, or wiping you both. Might explain the memory loss you have, much less any that Aquila does. Beyond that, your body language changes when control shifts between the two of you. It's subtle, but there. That's how she can tell, after having worked with Aquila for so long."

"That's how you tell us apart so easily, too?" Spyker hesitated when she said that, then reasoned she'd already seen him as a Dark Jedi back on the PING ship. It was hard to miss the traditional robes of an Order member, and most could recognize them even if they'd never actually seen one in person before.

"Not completely. You also have a different signature. The Force shifts when you do. It's...hard to explain to someone without the sense."

"So, you are one of them, then? I thought that was a ruse." Spyker shook his head as he took another bite, the last of the traladon being chased by another sip of the Whyren's. It really was good whiskey, this one, and he enjoyed the subtle burn and notes.

"I'm still new to it, but to answer the unasked question, I don't do mind tricks. Thoughts are slippery things, and I don't have that level of control. I can hold a thread to a mind, and track it, but control isn't my bailiwick. I can provide a boost though, to help someone get better. Did it to a kid on Commenor. Did it to a lady on a prison ship."

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2014-05-13 04:23

The coin dropped and Tymora wasn't sure if she should be in awe or fear. Tales of Jedi and Sith were little more than bedtime stories and mostly forgotten pages from old history texts from a bygone era. She only ever got bits here and there but never enough to formulate much more than myths and ideas about superhuman beings that existed as demigods who could destroy entire worlds with but a thought but it spoke more of a child's overactive imagination than of a sense of reason and logical thought. Being in the New Imperial Federation changed that perception somewhat, most notably Emperor Kane being styled as someone who could very well put those wild thoughts into reality if the propaganda holos were to be believed. Looking at Spyker with a cautious eye, she listened to his words and it was only because of the connection that seemed to be beyond just a coincidence that she made the connection.

"This power," she began, hesitating as a lump formed in her throat. Once again the walls seemed to be closing in on her, a suffocating feeling starting to hit Tymora. "Can it fix me?"

He didn't respond right away, his eyes moving back to his glass of Whyren's for a long moment. Tymora suspected he had the answer but it was either one she wouldn't like or one she didn't want to hear. Either way, it seemed like he was going to take the diplomatic route when he finally spoke at last. "I said I promised to help you, and I will."

"Just not in the way that I want," Tymora finished, looking away, her blue eyes gazing back out the viewport. A shiver traveled down her spine as her thoughts turned back to what she could remember. It was a scary prospect, the fear of losing one self and maybe it was because so much was lost to her now that the feeling was growing worse and worse, like a gnawing sensation that ate away at her very sense of being. Looking down at her still unfinished meal, Tymora drew in a deep breath. "I understand," she began, nodding slowly, a half formed thought appearing in her mind before scurrying for cover just before she could get a really good look at it. "You love her and you're determined to try and do whatever it takes to not lose yet another person from your life."

Turning her head a little to shoot him a sideways glance, she smirked just a little. "Alath told me a few things about you too." It wasn't necessarily the entire truth, it was information meant for Aquila, but sitting still and listening intently was one thing the two personalities could do without betraying to outside observers who was really listening.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2014-05-13 05:11

"Can it fix you? Maybe. It held you together, which is what mattered at the time. You needed a little extra help to stay...cohesive." Spyker remembered the seizure she looked to be having back on the prison ship, and what came after. "I used some of my own energy to reinforce the two of you so you wouldn't come apart at the seams. That's what brought the memories up; it's a side effect of the bonding process.

"It hasn't been about saving one or the other, Tymora, not for a long time." He sighed as he said this, knowing the stereotype of the Jedi was working against him here. "I'll do my damnedest to help both of you. To force one or the other, that's more a control thing, which like I said, isn't my strong point. I can only shore up what's already there."

Her last point struck a near blow, but it wasn't quite on the mark. Yes, he knew he had some issues with people leaving, or being taken, or just generally disappearing from his life. He'd go to the ends of the galaxy for those he cared about, and had done so already for the woman in front of him. That said, he'd do it for either of them. Watching the shadow of her old smirk show on her face, Spyker looked her straight in the eye, green and gold looking deep into blue.

"Do I care about her? Yes, a great deal. Is it love? I don't know. Thing is though, I could say the same about how I feel about you as well. If I didn't...I might not have had the ability to bring you back, too. That's what I tapped into back there. That's what kept you alive."

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2014-05-13 13:53

Once again she felt that shiver race down the length of her spine, the reminder of how fragile her existence had been putting things into perspective. "I see," was all she managed in response, unsure of what else to say as she gently poked her food for a moment, contemplating if she was still hungry or not as the moment began to lapse into an awkward silence.

It lasted all of one second as the waiting droid appeared suddenly. "Are you finished Sir, Ma'am?" It motioned towards the plates in front of each of them.

"Yes, thank-you," Tymora began softly, thankful for the interruption as she set the utensil down on her own plate and sitting back against the seat. The droid reached for it and picked it up before taking Spyker's away as well without any exchange of words as it was quite evident he was done.

"Would either of you be interested in a desert? Stimcaf?"

"Just the stimcaf for me," she began before a fleeting image of a wedge of pie appeared in her mind. "And a slice of pie." She added the words without skipping a beat. If she was going to be here, stuck thinking about sobering thoughts about her life and what the future might hold, she was at least going to indulge herself. It also offered her a welcome distraction, if for no other reason than to try and make the most of the situation what with the only person in the galaxy she actually knew anymore.

"Very good, and for you sir?"

"Just the caf," he replied. As the droid walked off, Tymora glanced at the as-of-yet unfinished bottle of wine and reached for it, filling her glass so it was barely an inch from the rim, continuing in her indulgence for the evening though mostly as an excuse to stop thinking about everything else for a moment. Picking it up gently by the stem, she took a small sip of it, appreciating the complex taste of the liquid for just a moment before taking another sip, giving the maker of the wine far less credit than he probably deserved for his craft.

"Care for a sip?" The glass was extended towards Spyker. "It'd be a shame to see so much go to waste." Not that she was the one who ordered it but part of her felt compelled to at least try.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2014-05-15 05:01

"Sure. Why not," said Spyker as he took the glass. Swirling it around for a second, he took a sip, letting it sit in his mouth for a moment before swallowing it. Its taste was no doubt colored by the blended malt he'd been drinking to this point, but the commando could still tell that it was pretty good. "Been a while since I had a nice wine. I'm more of a whiskey man, myself, but there are times when a glass of wine is more acceptable." He handed the glass back to his dinner partner.

"Never figured you for a connossieur."

"I'm not, really. Had a client once who insisted on teaching me...well, she taught me a lot of things." That was true enough, Spyker supposed. He'd been run off that particular job though once her father, a low-level mob boss, got paranoid that the two were just a little too close to each other; the man had been closer to the truth than he knew, but they were careful enough that he had nothing solid. "That was back when I only had one eye, though, doing protection work to stay sharp until I could get the implant." He said as he pointed to his right eye.

"You remind me of her, actually; she had her hard and soft sides, too. There weren't many she trusted, either."

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2014-05-15 15:17

Taking another sip of wine, Tymora silently listened before setting the glass back down as he finished revealing just a little more about his past. "I see," she began, only realizing in hindsight that her reply could be misconstrued for a lame attempt at humour even though neither of them laughed. "Though it's hard to trust people when even ones own family betrays you." There was a mix of scorn and sadness in her voice that she couldn't hide, the words almost getting caught in her throat as she spoke.

Spyker opened his mouth to reply when the droid reappeared, setting down the stimcaf and a plate with a wedge of pie on top of it. It had a golden crust and a bright yellow filling, it's bright colour already evoking thoughts of sweet flavour in her mind. "Will there be anything else?" the droid inquired.

Glancing at the mug of caf, Tymora shook her head. She knew her other would have preferred tea, but now hardly seemed like a time to appear sophisticated and stimcaf didn't have near as much caffine in it. "I'm okay," she responded, reaching for the steaming mug and cupping it in both hands. "Thanks." The droid disappeared again, once again having provided another break in the conversation that served little more than to distract the two of them away from whatever subject they happened to be on. It suited Tymora just fine, the good timing of the droid helped break any awkward silences that seemed to crop up on occasion.

Taking a sip of the stimcaf, she suppressed a grimace, the biting taste as it soured the remnants of wine still on her pallete not unlike that feeling when you drink juice right after brushing your teeth. The sensation passed by the second sip, however, and now she was free to indulge in the pie without the wine marring the taste of it as she set the mug back down and picked up the fork. "So what ever happened to her?" she asked, cutting into the tender crust and filling with the fork, glancing back at Spyker for a moment as she attempted to fill in some of the numerous gaping holes that made up the life of the man sitting next to her. Though he preferred to keep things simple and uncomplicated, it seemed his life was anything but... Then again, who's life was simple beneath it all? Not even Aquila had the luxury of saying her past, ideallyic as it was meant to be, was simple either.

He didn't respond right away, which seemed to hint that perhaps his efforts as a bodyguard failed, though Tymora wasn't so easily convinced. His momentary reluctance was the stuff that would have made some people- Alath coming to mind- pounce and jump to the wildest conclusions, blurting them aloud. Aquila would respond in the opposite fashion, apologizing profusely for asking such a personal question and quickly working to change the subject in her usual, stammering, demure manner. Tymora, however, put the first bit of pie into her mouth, leaving the ball squarely in Spyker's court to respond for himself, giving him an ample amount of time to formulate his preferred response as she enjoyed the tart-sweetness of the pipe, the citric taste mixing with the sugars in the crust, balancing out so it was neither sickeningly sweet nor to sour as so many tended to be in her experience.