Monster

Open roleplaying at the Nemesis' lounge. Open scenario locations are not restricted to the lounge.

Moderator: S.T.A.R.S.

Forum rules
Open roleplaying at the Nemesis' lounge.

The Lounge offers a wide variety of foods and drinks from all over the galaxy while looking on the breathtaking view of the stars above the 20-km long arrowhead hull of the Federation's most elite battleship.
Laurel WinteShrine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Custom Title: Mermaid Mercurius
Organizational Unit: Presentable, Third Fleet

Monster

Post by Laurel WinteShrine » 2011-08-11 05:03

Once upon a time…

…because that is how the best stories are begun…

There was a moon, great and large, that hung heavily in the velvet sky of a small planet.

This great moon was a living, breathing entity. A god, and a prince of the celestial realms. Every morning when the moon had sunk below the horizon to rest after a nightly vigil, he was returning to his court, and more specifically, to the company of his favorite maidens; a curtain of brilliant stars that always drifted in satellite with him. It was said that if the moon could fall in love with one single maiden, he would turn her into one of the stars of the sky, to live together with him for all of time.

There was a princess who had heard of this, and wishing to be a star and gain the favor of the moon, would wait until the palace was asleep and steal away to follow the moon as he made his way across the sky every night. The handsome, impervious moon did not even notice the enamored princess, though her bitter crying could be heard all over the hills and the land every night as she sought his love, unrequited.

One evening, the princess had chased the moon to a great, wide lake, and seeing him reflected on the water’s surface, believed that her beloved had finally descended to the earth in order to receive her. Without a second thought she flung herself into the lake, and drowned as she looked for her love in vain.

The moon soon heard of the desperate princess and her fate, and was heartbroken to know that she had died so mournfully in his name. He could not bring her back to her mortal life, but indeed turned her into a star- one as brilliant and beautiful as any of the others of the sky, but to be as different and loved by any and all who would see her. He turned the princess into a water lily, to bloom gracefully in the lake where she had so tragically sought his embrace.

Indeed, an earthbound star; In this way, they were married to forever be as one. She would open up her fragrant blossoms every night to gaze upward at him, and he down at her; and in the morning she would go to rest and turn as pink as the dawn until the next night where she could once again be with her love, never to be spurned again.

”Moro,“ Small Lady Euphemede de Winte’Shrine sniffed, a restless little tumble of hair and pajamas, tucked into bed far too soon for her own liking. Her younger sister, Laureleiden, had already fallen asleep long ago beside her, their matching sweep of chocolate hair mingled together on the pillow.

”Moro, you know how much I dislike this story.”
-------------------------------------
M o n s t e r
-------------------------------------
Loose ends.
She had always hated the expression. In indicted that necessary measures were merely frays in a whole loom of the greater work; yet if they were to go ignored, surely they would endanger the entire integrity of the fabric? Loose ends..

Was Laurel, too, a loose end?

After months of looking; secretively at first.. then as time wore on, determination becoming abject fear, anxiety for her sister, Laurel neglected any secret measures in researching for her sister’s whereabouts. Desperate, she knew that she would need help; it was then that Laurel contacted Mydnyte, divulging the terrible secret of her sister and pleaded for her help. Mydnyte, bless her, readily agreed and held the sobbing Laurel as she confessed.

…And found it. At some ungodly hour, two nights ago, Mydnyte had actually found it.

Dosuun. A large, security protocol-laden facility. It had been sitting right in front of her all along, and then.. Here it was. Here she was. Laurel had not slept the entire night after her discovery, desperately trying to figure out what to do next. Here she was now, sitting in her father’s study, the gravity of the world entire hanging over her head.

Loose ends.

She looked down at the flimsiplast, clutching a stylus as if she meant to combat the words onto the surface. Dearest Fiesltra, and beloved Moro, she began in her deft calligraphy, practiced aurebesh, dictating to herself.

Asta shiimason. “I am very sorry…”I must excuse my brevity in departing, I received an urgent message of great import from the command and I must sadly inform you that the circumstances of which are highly classified. But do not worry.. I will be back soon. Your daughters love you. She stopped her stylus, hesitating at the inclusion of her sister in that last line. She… couldn’t promise anything.

Setsu ne melti so pakta.
“I love you to the very depth of my being,” an old House saying. Signed-

“Laureleiden.”

Turning the comm on, she hesitated as she tapped the numbers in for both contacts, then finally hit ‘send’. Outside, the sun was coming up through the sheer curtains, the sky pinkening.

“Mydnyte.. Aquila..I.. I need your help. This evening… I need to see you both, please, this evening.” It was an abrupt message, her mind too heavy with her darkened thoughts to bother being eloquent. She looked back outside the window, plucking a random, distant memory from the rose-colored light.

Daylight, sunrise. The lilies would be closing, now.
~~~~~~~~
Laurel smiled gently and returned another salute as she walked purposefully to the officer’s quarters, hiding the fact that her heart was beating a terse drumbeat throughout her body. She wasn’t scared so much as anxious… there was so much.. too much, to tell the High Colonel, and yet she only felt brave enough to tell him only so much. She wouldn’t, couldn‘t linger. Laurel knew distinctly that he had some innate talent for sniffing her intentions out, and just.. Being so close to him always made her feel so undone, for lack of a better word. Unraveled. Exposed.
Vulnerable.

She knocked; once, twice, barely audible over the lilting classical piece should could hear from inside. “Wolfgang.. its me..” Her stomach twisted itself into knots as she heard his footsteps approach, still debating within herself whether she would tell him the truth or not. She briefly entertained the thought of just doing an about-face and leaving, but she couldn’t go without at least.. saying..

What? "Goodbye?"

The door hissing open, Laurel shyly looked up at the High Colonel, lips and face flushed from struggling with herself so vehemently.

“I..”
{One should never confuse duty for loyalty. One either purposefully serves, or serves a purpose.}

p r o f i l e

Blitzkrieg
Brigadier
Brigadier
Custom Title: Operative Zeta, SWC
Organizational Unit: Director, NIF SPECWARCOM

Re: Monster

Post by Blitzkrieg » 2011-08-14 05:02

The music that had been playing in Wolfgang's quarters aboard the Presentable had been intended to keep him from falling into some sort of emotional distress. With the partiuclar anniversary that was swift approaching, he usually had a moment where he was worse than a foul-tempered Dark Jedi...and easily the rival of this ship's captain. It all centered around his dear Anja, lost years ago to an illness nobody could cure...a disease, for which he had always blamed himself, if only because he and so many others had been unable to stop it. Sighing, Wolfgang shook his head, trying to will the memories away. Nothing worked; every year, around the anniversary of her passing, they came back, intent on bothering him from whatever he was doing. The second anniversary had led him into becoming ever more of a disciplined soldier...and the addition of two others to that rather dismal club had gone only further.

Truth be told, he liked the work...especially now. It was relaxing, having the sorts of liberties that the Director of SpecWarCom was permitted; they made completing the objective easier. He likewise appreciated the operators that had been assigned to him, and was respectful of the fact that they were all skilled individuals and teams...the sort of people who had the power within them to alter the course of history for an entire galaxy.

It was the soft, gentle rapping of someone's fist against his door that disturbed him from his reading, and blissfully buried the memories further away beneath the ash and rubble of the past. Nodding once, he rose slowly from his seat, and then heard the voice that brought a smile to his face. Laurel...she who had managed to penetrate a heart hardened by pain, and--he hoped--had opened hers in return. "By and by, I come," he said, a soft smile forming on his face and in his voice. As the door opened, he looked down at the young lady, smiling softly.

"I.."

He wondered, idly and to himself, exactly what caused her to be so nervous near him, as she was now. Her time spent training with her had, or so he'd hoped, opened up a more determined, more thorough and focused side of her. Along with it, he'd rather expected that the results would eliminate some of that anxiety. Instead, here it was, as alive as ever; perhaps it merely needed more time. "Come in," he invited, bowing lightly at the waist before stepping to one side of the doorway. "Make yourself at home. I get the feeling you have much to discuss."

Laurel WinteShrine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Laurel WinteShrine » 2011-08-17 04:35

Gods.
Why, why, why had she come? The moment he looked down at her, invited her inside she felt her heart wrench… though not just in fear of what she was going to say. Explaining things to him was already going to be difficult enough, without her own confused thoughts there to constantly pester her.
You are here to say goodbye; To see him one last time if you are, indeed, not coming back.
…Because no matter how much you are adamant about denying it, haven't you realized that you‘re fall-

Laurel stiffened for the briefest moment as if finally saying it practically to entirety within her mind had made it all the more real to her. The Ensign turned back around to face him, smiling gently, albeit a little sadly. Laurel’s mind traveled back to when she had been laboring over a message she had tried to write to him, and smiled again, unsure of what to say as the palpable silence went on between them. Taking a deep breath, she knew she had to say what she needed, knowing she would possibly not get a second chance.

Never.. Has anyone ever had such a profound effect on me.
"Shiimas- um," She quickly corrected herself, thinking out of her natural language in her nervous state.“I am sorry.. To come unannounced, like this. I hope that you don‘t mind.”

I know that I may not love you… at least, not in that special way.. “I will be taking an extended leave of absence for personal reasons.. And for the time be, I will need to cancel our training sessions until I… come back.” She blushed, looking downward.

…But I know that if.. if I had the blessing of more time… I easily.. I could easily-

Laurel had to lie, she knew it within her very soul. If he had been hurt because of her, her heart would never forgive her for the folly. She tried to smile past the writhing mass of nerves that arose through her being, hiding her trembling hands behind her back and moving to sit on his sofa, taking a moment to observe the comforting, masculine refinement of his quarters. The fragrance of assam tea, brewed strong, wafted in the air, along with the scent of him; unforgettable and irreplaceable within her mind.

If there were a reason I would be coming back.. It would be for you.

If.. She really felt such a way toward him, and so strongly, she couldn’t lie. Laurel looked toward Wolfgang, her heart conflicted, yet her face set. She had to, she must.

“In two days‘ time.. I am going to go rescue my sister. I came here because.. I wanted, needed to say goodbye. And that I forbid you to get any more involved than you already have, what with having trained me.” She laughed shortly, saddened. “I apologize… we never got to go on that date, did we?” She felt her eyes begin to mist over, and this time she couldn’t stop the tears as they began to pitifully fall down her face. “I.. Wolfgang, there is just so much I wish I could say. But I can‘t.

Laurel scrubbed the tears from her face and got back up, turning her back toward him. “Suns, you must think I‘m insane; Showing up here and just.. just laying this all at your feet. I.. I should go.” She quickly grabbed her cover from the sofa and turned toward the door, the room washing into a watercolor blur as more tears streamed silently down the length of her face, dripping from her chin and worming downward into the collar of her uniform.
“I must excuse myself, I need to go. I am sorry.”
{One should never confuse duty for loyalty. One either purposefully serves, or serves a purpose.}

p r o f i l e

Blitzkrieg
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Blitzkrieg » 2011-08-21 05:38

In response to what Laurel said, Wolfgang remained completely quiet. Her words hadn't tipped him off to anything...she could have requested their meetings be suspended for any of a myriad of personal reasons, and he would have acquiesced. It was the mere fact that she was being honest that pleased and impressed him. But all the same, that wasn't the cause for his silence; no, there was something deeper...

With him, body language played a very significant role in any discussion; after all, it was difficult--bordering the impossible--to mask one's scent, and the subtle nuances of it could tell a story far different from spoken word. That was how he knew Laurel wasn't lying to him: the foul, rancid odor of deceit wasn't in the air. Sorrow, however... that odor was a different kind. Usually, it was accompanied by tears...and the mood that came with it was almost always infectious. The high-colonel had managed, over the few months before he'd met the ensign, to harden himself against that infection. It was difficult to imagine someone had found a way past it, but he oddly felt compelled to cry with her.

Calmly, he considered her words, frowning ever so subtlely. Her sorrow, her worry, ran rampant through her, the scent beginning to overwhelm the fragrance of his tea just from sheer power; the words conveyed the same worry, and in some way, he could understand it. He didn't want her getting hurt...didn't want to have to think of such pain. Yet that was where their specific views on this matter branched out, differed...sharply. Breathing deeply, he let out a soft sigh, trying to remain calm as he replied to her, one eyebrow arched. "Sit down, ensign," his words came out, a great deal of effort spent on keeping them from manifesting with a slight frustration that he was beginning to feel. "Your most important lesson is about to begin." Calmly, he gestured to one of the chairs on the near side of his desk, still frowning. Almost as though he knew she would hesitate--that she would debate between his suggestion and her task--he nodded once, sternly. "That was an order, not an invitation, ensign. SIT." As he concluded, his voice rose sharply, anger tinging it ever so slightly.

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore
Custom Title: Fenrir 7, Lady Luck
Organizational Unit: TIE Defender Pilot of Fenrir Squadron

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2011-08-22 04:03

Never thought I'd be back here so soon... Aquila gazed at the building, rubbing her left arm with her right hand as she approached nervously, walking slowly up the steps to the estate. The sun was getting low to the horizon and a gentle breeze was starting to pick up, causing Aquila's long blonde hair to gently sweep around her right shoulder as she glanced over to the left, startled by the sound of a branch snapping suddenly. In the distance, she saw one of the Winte'Shrine Estate workers outside tending to the lavish garden, pruning one of the shrubs that were starting to grow unwieldy as the leaves were beginning to brown as well.

Autumn was Aquila's favorite season, right behind summer and spring- as that's when all the flowers were usually in bloom- for the trees and leafy bushes were all changing, their greens replaced by browns, reds, oranges and yellows. It was like natures' own fireworks display, minus the loud exploding sounds that always made her flinch reflexively. Looking at the trees, she admired them but continued to rub her arm as her feet softly continued walking her forward up the steps.

Approaching the main doors, she turned her head back to look in front, her hair sweeping back over her shoulder and falling down her back. The doors opened up suddenly, a golden protocol droid greeting her in a level voice. "Welcome Miss Slyphs to the Winte'Shrine Estate. Lady Winte'Shrine is expecting you. If you would walk this way..." It started to shuffle off very awkwardly and Aquila wondered how much it would hurt if she tried to walk that stiffly.

Following the droid, she continued to rub her arm nervously. Why did Laurel ask her to come to the estate? The woman was in trouble, that much Aquila could gather from the message, but why would anyone call her for help? It's not like I can really make any sort of a difference... Unless they need me to impersonate a holonews reporter again. That was a harrowing mission and one that made Aquila vow never to do any sort of ground based operation again...

And then Aquila found herself on Sarapin, and then Arkania. The fates- or the Force but Aquila really didn't know enough about either to know which was which- were conspiring against her, of that, the short woman was sure as her black shoes clicked smartly on the polished floors of the estate. Finally becoming conscious of her nervous rubbing, she forced her hand off her arm, glancing down at her white short-sleeved shirt, she suddenly felt very exposed and improperly dressed, the deep v in her shirt was getting her a couple stares from the various estate hands and butlers that she passed. The black shorts she had on didn't help much either but the temperature outside meant that if she wore a black jumpsuit, she'd have been sweating profusely and those things simply didn't breathe. The blaster pistol that hung at her hip might have also garnered her a bit of extra attention as she noticed a pair of armed guards glance at it as she walked past.

"Should I give you my gun?" Aquila asked nervously, fighting the urge to start rubbing her arm again but unable to stop herself from twirling her long hair loosely around a finger.

The droid didn't look back as it replied, "The Lady has requested you be treated as a guest of honour so you needen't relinquish your weapon."

That made Aquila feel a little better though it made her a little guilty too as it she couldn't trust Laurel's house guards to protect her if things started going horribly wrong all of the sudden. Not like I could really hit anything if we came under attack too... Though Aquila was being a little hard on herself, she preferred flying to gunslinging and loved more peaceful things like cooking and gardening above all else.

Stopping before a set of doors, the droid tapped gently on it. "Lady Winte'Shrine. Miss Slyphs is here." There was no response and the droid pushed the door open and peered inside. "It would appear that the Lady is out at the moment. If you would like to take a seat, I'll inform her that you have arrived." It gestured inside the room and Aquila walked in, glancing at the various shelves and the plush lounge furniture. She felt a little out of place to simply sit down and lounge as she waited but she would feel even more out of place if she took a datapad off one of the shelves to read through. As if reading her mind, the droid said plainly before walking away, "Feel free to browse through the various records of the Winte'Shrine history."

Nodding her thanks, Aquila opted to keep her hands firmly by her side as she gently took a seat down on an armchair, letting herself sink in a little though her light weight and slender frame prevented her from disappearing into its soft, velvety comfort but it didn't at all diminish the relaxing feeling that washed over her. Glancing around the empty room, Aquila wished Alath or someone else from Fenrir squadron was here so she had some company to talk to. Sitting in an empty room, hands folded on her lap as she waited for Laurel to arrive- whenever that would be- made Aquila's nervousness only grow. The droid returned suddenly and spoke, causing Aquila to nearly leap out of her seat in shock.

"Do you desire any refreshments Miss Slyphs?"

Placing a hand to her chest, Aquila took in a deep calming breath before looking over to respond. "Ah... A glass of water?"

"Right away." It disappeared without apologizing- or even noticing for that matter- that it had startled her.
"If you believe in luck, wish for the good version." -Lando Calrissian, Shadows of the Empire

Laurel WinteShrine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Laurel WinteShrine » 2011-08-25 02:25

Laurel could not stand when he was like this. He never really had been angry at her, but seeing Wolfgang even mildly irritated was discomforting, and she brushed her dampened bangs out of her eyes to look at him. Never had anyone pulled their rank to make her comply to anything- there had certainly never been a need to do so -and the sheer look of consternation upon Wolfgang’s features sent a slice of shock through her system. Nodding, sniffling quietly to herself, she wandered over to the chair he gestured at and sat down with a quiet indignation.
No. He was simply not going, and that was it. She would not be deterred by anything he would say. Or do, for that matter. He was, after all, quite good at making examples.

…whydidyoutellhimwhytell…

Laurel sat up straight again in another note of shock as the voices suddenly burst within her mind with renewed vehemence, and she desperately fought back the grimace that threatened to spill over her features at their return. Now? After so long, why now?

…killedhewillbekilledbecauseofyourstupidity…

Stop. Stop, now. Please. Go away.
…killed.killed.killed.killed.KILLED.KILLED.KILLED…

One word, over and over, a turgid metronome that would not be quieted or coaxed to go away. They meant for murder today, and would not be satisfied. Laurel literally fought to have her own coherent thought surface over the maelstrom of their presence within her mind.

She had not missed the look of anguish that briefly passed over his face, one that mirrored her own. He always had a talent for divining her complex moods; surely, even if he couldn’t interpret her feelings for him in their entirety, Laurel knew that at the very least her resolute stance in wanting to protect him was apparent. It had created a strange tension that lingered in the air above them, making her all the more anxious.

She sat with her legs tucked neatly beneath the chair, smoothing down her pencil skirt with her hands as the intruders within her mind fortunately began to contain their vitriol, perhaps content in the fact that their reluctant host was suffering enough for the time being. They abandoned her here, with him, her head now silent. Self-doubt was always the blood that they sought, and had struck her straight through her heart; sated for now, they would leave her alone.

“Sir,” she began, slowly. “Very respectfully.. I cannot bear the thought of you going.” Not coming, “going". She was to be singular in this endeavor in speech as well as her actions if she well intended to truly convince him. “I have my reasons, and you must believe me when I say that not one of them is because of my own personal hubris. I have no doubt of your abilities, not in the least.. But no amount of training, Force, what have you.. indeed, it cannot deter fate. Rarely has it proven to be my ally, and in turn I‘ve put little faith in it.” She smiled a little wistfully then, away from him. Perhaps, that is why Fate had turned a cold shoulder to her as well.

“However.. It has been kind enough to bestow upon me several significant acts of benevolence in my life.” Her demeanor changed slightly as the words began to come to her more easily now, clear in their honestly. “For one, it had sent me a tutor that indulged my interest in the NIF and encouraged me to apply to the Academy. Secondly, it had intervened on the night of the ball, saving me from my sister‘s fate and simultaneously giving me the knowledge and the purpose to find her.. and now I know where she is. And.. and..She looked back toward him and smiled; girlishly, shyly. “And somehow, it saw fit to have me find you, Wolfgang. From that very moment during the waltz and I looked up at you, I‘ve.. been changed. Irreversibly. I don‘t know myself what to call it, but it has been.. significant..”

Laurel braved an intense, then softening verdant gaze into his eyes, and blushed as she continued to smile. “I need you to stay away from this and be safe.. So you may be able to do this again. Gift some other person with what you have so graciously given me. Hope. Strength.” She sighed, the sound whisper-soft and barely audible. ..Companionship.She pursed her lips, briefly, feeling brave. “Forgive my being so forward, Wolfgang.” She calmly took in his expression, remembering how badly she wanted to touch the lines of his distinguished features the first time they had danced at the ball, feeling the childish urge crowd up within her again. She smiled, her heart light and hopeful at the stilling thought of her hand against his face. She placed the thought, along with the feeling of the single kiss they had shared, the way he held her; away and deep within her heart, between memories and hope. “You have seen enough, Wolfgang. You‘ve been so kind to me, kind enough to train me to the absolute best of your abilities, even when it was so difficult for the both of us. You are loyal, and you are handsome. Please let me keep you like this, the way that you are, right now. Safe, unharmed from whatever I am about to find.” Her words took on an edge; she spoke lightly, articulate and melodic as she always did, and yet..

“What I am trying to say is.. I am resolute that I will find my sister, and spare her any more suffering whether she, or I, or the both of us fail to return. But more importantly; I can and will take measures to ensure your safety, whether this pleases you or not.” Let him be mad; let him think her insolent, and lecture her all that he wished. Let him take these things out on her, hate her even; never speak to her again and regardless be safe.

Laurel smiled; beautifully, angelically at Wolfgang, one more tear drifting quietly down her cheek as her eyes suddenly became as serious as death. “This is not a threat, High Colonel. It is a promise.

p r o f i l e

Blitzkrieg
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Blitzkrieg » 2011-08-29 03:41

Wolfgang held his response in check as he waited for her to finish, listening intently to every word. Calmly, he poured himself a cup of tea, stopping at a certain depth in the cup. He followed that by pouring a cup for Laurel, letting her speak as he poured the tea. His right eyebrow arched slightly as she bolted upright...he couldn't determine what the cause was, but presumed, at the time, that it was her shock over how vehemently angry he had just sounded, commanding her to sit. Frustration and anguish rolled in her like a swirling storm, leaving a wake of chaos and panic. Still...

...there had to be things to hold on to; things for which life was worth living.

Letting her finish, he continued pouring her cup of tea, the fluid beginning to spill over. When she was finally finished, he relented; the desktop had a fair measure of tea on it, emanating from her cup. "I appreciate," he began calmly, "your ideas towards my protection, but if I'm not mistaken, that's more often supposed to work the other way around...and I at least know I don't need any right now. I fear, however, that you may need some...from yourself." Taking a sip from his cup, he nodded, sighing. "Your mind is full of ideas of how you will accomplish this task, of opinions on those who might be willing to offer you aid and why they should not do so, why you should refuse them... You have left it unable to accept the wisdom that going it alone may not be the best idea.

"You have learned much, though I suspect that a certain important lesson managed to slip through your grasp." The high-clonel took another sip. "Your efforts wilkl be in vain, m'lady; you will try your hardest to enforce upon me that I am not to accompany you, and you will fail. Your vast reasons, your arguments--sound as they may be--will fail. All because following them will deny you that final understanding...that there are times when friends must be sought for the darker parts of our lives. On and off the field...our friends are perhaps our greatest strengths."

Here, he snickered. "And because I have pledged to you my strength, and my word...thus shall I come. You have my word of honor, m'lady...and you know damn well what happened to the last person to try and defile that." The incident at the ball still haunted him, just a little, even now...a faint spectre--grim as it was--of a moment where he'd briefly failed, and where someone else had taken advantage of it. Had they succeeded...he didn't dare think of that, grateful that they hadn't.

Laurel WinteShrine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Laurel WinteShrine » 2011-08-30 02:12

To say that her mind was full was certainly an understatement, to say the least. Still, Laurel looked down curiously at Wolfgang’s reflection in the amber liquid on his desk, slightly disturbed. She plucked a handkerchief from the pocket of her uniform, dabbing gingerly at the cooling liquid. Her demeanor was lucid, heartfelt, as she looked back up at him. There was no use arguing with him; He was as determined in protecting her as much as she wanted to protect him. Sighing, she gracefully stood up to walk over to his side of the desk, grateful for once that she was taller than he was from his seated position.

Gently, hesitating, she placed her hands together tenderly beneath his chin, whisper-light. All of the doubt, the fear and sadness folded within itself and dissipated; a warming concord perching itself within her being as she lifted his face upward, leaning down to brush a kiss against his forehead, her voice as warm and petal-soft as the touch of her lips. “I just wish that I could make you understand.”

She moved to embrace him from behind, her heartbeat fervent as the blood pounded within her ears as she settled her face into his hair. The world zeroed out around them, the music, the smell of the tea fading away into a grey until she just felt herself, and him. “A friend..” Something more… “Will always do their best to protect and shield the ones they treasure.. from anything that could be unpleasant, or harm them. This is why I must decline your gracious offer, still. Let me be selfish, just this once.” A treasure. She treasured her family, her friends.. And yet, this feeling, the way she felt about the High Colonel stood out, separated from them in stark clarity.

It was, in this moment, Laurel knew. The realization of it didn’t scare her, as much as she had been imagining, but only solidified a faith that she, too, could be capable of such a feeling. It embraced her with a gentle sense of hope.

She pulled away, the color painting itself back into the atmosphere around her, and they were in Wolfgang’s quarters again. She took a deep breath and walked back toward the door, Turned back around to smile, her conviction in protecting him giving her an abundant strength she never knew she had formerly possessed. “By your leave, Wolfgang.” She left him no room to comment as she strode purposefully out the door, hissing shut with finality behind her.

Laurel was already a mess by the time she got back to the shuttle, her attendant from the estate looking on in worry as he opened the hatch for her. “Milady? What has happened? Why are you crying?” Laurel settled herself in, gesturing to the pilot as she and the attendant were seated, wiping her eyes and managing a smile. “Please do not worry. I‘m crying because I‘m happy, that is all… I promise…”
It had not been a perfect goodbye, or perhaps not the most articulate, but one that would live within her regardless of what would come to pass. Pressing a hand against her tremulous heart, Laurel smiled to herself. Maybe it had been perfect and just what she needed to say, after all. She quietly watched the Presentable fade away into the distance, breaking decorum for once and bringing her knees up to her chest to hug them in her seat; closing her eyes and losing herself in her own contented, little inner-universe.

The attendant looked over his Mistress, and smiled knowingly.
Indeed, love colored the woman beautifully.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
“My Lady, one of the guests you had informed us about has arrived.” Laurel nodded and thanked the attendant, quickly rushing to her room to change into a lacy, cream-colored blouse and shorts, brushing her hair down and striding over to where Aquila had been waiting in one of the sitting rooms. Laurel had chosen it specifically for the large picture window that overlooked the lake; it would be difficult to scale or sneak into the room undetected at this time of the day. At least this way, she could be assured that the walls did not have ears here in her home; as far as anyone knew, the ensign was merely having friends over for a pleasant visit in privacy.

“Miss Sylphs?” She giggled softly when the poor girl jumped as she peeked in through the door. “Please, pardon me. I hope that you were not waiting long? Are you thirsty? I‘ve asked for lunch to be served shortly after Mydnyte gets here.. Again, I thank you for coming on such short notice. But would you like anything in the meantime?” Laurel babbled as she fiddled with her hair, suddenly nervous at having the two women over for the impromptu meeting; they were, after all, a large part of the foundation in her plan, and she only wished to have then assist her without endangering themselves, or learning too much should anything go awry. Tension gripped her again, and she managed to walk herself stiffly to the chaise to sit down demurely, crossing her legs. “Really… I know that you don‘t know me really well.. But this means so much to me.” She smiled shyly at her. “Now, as soon as Mydnyte gets here, we may begin."

p r o f i l e

Mydnyte Syn
Freelancer
Custom Title: Mistress of Mayhem. Chaos is my Love.

Post by Mydnyte Syn » 2011-08-30 03:24

Mydnyte had literally just finished signing the dotted line on the contract for the townhouse rental she found on the outskirts of Coronet, Corellia when her personal com began to vibrate, indicating an incoming call. "There! I'm paid up for the next four months, everything's signed. Thanks Mr. Fasiri." The lady took the key from her landlord, who also happened to own the quaint sidewalk cafe called The Wave Works on Coronet Way. She turned her com completely off and slipped the key into her back pocket.

"You're a good girl, Mydnyte. I know you'll take care of the place. Now off with you, young one! Move in, go bring some life to that place." Mr. Fasiri instructed as his wife thrust a bag of fresh baked goods into Mydnyte's arms. The last tenant had left the older couple a real mess to clean up, which left them less than enthusiastic about renting it out again. But, Mydnyte worked her charms and convinced the couple that she would be the perfect tenant to have in the home they keep as income property.

"I will, I promise. Thank you Mrs. Fasiri, these sure smell delicious," the lady complimented the elderly woman who reminded Syn of what she'd always envisioned a grandmother would be like as she backed away from the couple and tried not to make it so obvious that she was in a hurry to leave. "If you'll both excuse me, though, I need to get going so I can get settled in!" And with that, Mydnyte left The Wave Works and closed the door behind herself, using it as an effective barrier so she could make good on her escape.

Mydnyte walked for forty-five minutes, finally reaching her new home. She stood out on the sidewalk looking up at the building, and a smile crept across her pretty face. She'd never really had her own place before. Not really. Her home on Necropolis had belonged to her biological father who left it to her in his will. She didn't count that as it wasn't her own hard earned money that paid for the place. But this! This cozy, quaint, three floored townhouse-style place was being paid for with her own money. This was her home. If only I could afford the down payment to buy it from them now, she thought.

As it stood, the Fasiri's would bank half of Mydnyte's rent and once she had paid enough to cover the cost of the down payment, she was going to purchase the place from them. And she wanted it, too. It was such a lovely, cozy place! The upstairs housed three bedrooms and a bathroom. The main floor was where the kitchen, living area and another bathroom was. The lower level was the basement. It was bare and unfinished, but Mydnyte already had plans for what to do with it once the actual purchase went through.

Once inside, she closed the door and tossed the key on the counter in the kitchen and immediately went to the living room bay window. She threw open the sheer curtains and let the sunlight flood the place. Then she remembered she'd had a missed call and retrieved her com from her back pocket. Laurel? Mydntye pushed a few buttons and listened to her missed message. "Mydnyte, Aquila. I.. I need your help. This evening. need to see you both, please, this evening.” And that was it.

"I wonder what's wrong. Maybe this has to do with ..." Mydnyte didn't have much in the way to pack. In fact, she didn't have anything as of yet to pack. She hadn't even had a chance to go and replenish her wardrobe since she had to flee Necropolis so abruptly and without any of her personal possessions. It was only with huge thanks to Laurel's own parents that Mydnyte was lucky enough to have had her personal accounts transferred and made accessible to her here on Corellia.

Taking her key, locking the place up, Mydnyte left and made her way back toward the city, lifting her hand to hail a cab on occasion as she made her way back. Finally an unoccupied and still on duty cab pulled up along the curb and picked her up. "The spaceport please," she informed the pilot of the hovercraft as she settled in. With her com in hand, she punched in a short message and sent it to to Laurel. All it said was On my way. It would still take quite a few hours, even traveling through hyperspace, for Mydnyte to finally arrive at the Winte`Shrine estate.
Mydnyte had to smile as she walked up to the front door of Laurel's estate home. The last time she was here, she was with Ryan and the night had ended beautifully. But before she could even knock, the front doors opened and Mydnyte was welcomed by one of the many servant droids.

"The lady Laurel is expecting you. Please follow me," said the mechanical creature hollowly. Mydnyte followed, her eyes going everywhere to drink in her surroundings. It really was a magnificently beautiful home. The droid showed Mydnyte to a room and announced her arrival to the two females inside.

Mydnyte immediately went to Laurel and greeted her friend with a warm hug, then stepped back and introduced herself to Miss Sylphs. "I'm sorry it's taken so long. I didn't get your message right away. What's wrong?"

Blitzkrieg
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Blitzkrieg » 2011-08-30 04:47

Wolfgang sighed as the door shut; her embrace had been a welcome feeling for him, if short-lived, and he had desparately yearned to get up from his seat and return it. Still, for what he was working on at the moment, he couldn't let the fight go on forever. He had to give in just a bit...had to let her win this one battle, if he was going to win the war. It was an ugly thing to do, that was certain; he hated having to lie to her, especially in the sense of lying by not saying anything...and he really hated spying on her, but some things had to be done to ensure her safety, and all the better that she not know of the gross violation of her privacy. When he was sure she was safely past the door, he sighed sadly again, pressing a button on the communications unit on his desk. The line was pre-designated to contact one of his higher subordinates, the Intelligence Deputy-Director for Special Warfare Command. "White Queen," he began as soon as the line opened, "this is Black Rook. Has the Black Queen's steed been groomed for the ride?"

He was sure that the DDI was laughing inwardly at this reference, but paid it no outward concern beyond that particular point. Whatever she thought of his terminology was her decision, as long as she understood. "Don't worry," she said, her voice calm as she tried to assauge his worries. "The stables are maintained well; her royal steed is more than ready."

Wolfgang nodded. "Good; let me know when she returns to her keep." Closing down the channel, he stood up, walking over to the closet in his room and grabbing a towel, with which he cleaned up the rest of the mess he'd made. It had been a spectacular one, truly; so much of the tea just spilling over the cup. Normally, he would not have made so deliberate a mess; normally, he would not have been in a position where it would come up. Yet he had wanted to get a point through to this woman...

...and he couldn't really tell himself why he'd wanted so hard for it to sink in. Maybe, just maybe... Cleaning the desk off, he turned to the refresher and moved to add the stained towel to his laundry pile, which would be picked up by an attendant droid later on in the day. When he did so, he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror, and eyed the reflection carefully, looking at it with a scrutinizing eye. He had been born only partly human...by the standards of his own people, the beast in his bloodline--only a shred of his heritage, but part of it nonetheless--marked him for all time as a beast, and not even worth the honor of a second-class citizen. He'd fought to topple that notion, at least on a personal scale, but it hadn't really had the desired effect. The NIF had looked on him as acceptable enough, but there was always the underlying spectre of worry...that the Empire looked on him like his people did: as nothing more than an animal in a man's body. Laurel, however...she had seen the man he knew himself to be. She had seen the man, and the beast...and had accepted both as the same person, the same soul. She hadn't cast him out because of the beast, either. Perhaps the events of the ball were a part of that, but in the end, the cause wasn't as important to him as the effect: she had not outright refused him. Instead, she had embraced him, and the 'it' living inside him, beneath the surface. She had embraced them as one.

There was no maybe, not anymore. She loved him, and he knew it. ...And he loved her for that. Calmly, he walked away from the refresher, returning to his desk. His secretary was no doubt asleep at this hour, so he didn't bother going through her; instead, he contacted Major Keyes directly, leaving the man a message to meet in his quarters aboard the Presentable on the double, and to bring Omega along. When he was finished, he opened another channel back to White Queen, to make sure that she was in on the briefing and able to provide information as it came up. As he filled her in on who was due to arrive at his office, she indicated in return that Laurel had indeed arrived at her estate. Wolfgang had no reach within that sanctum, but that was beside the point...and the tracker that had alerted Coordinator Desjardins to Laurel's planetside arrival would no doubt give her telemetry readings on wherever she was headed later on. This mission was personal, there was no doubt about that, but it was one that would need a lot of leverage. What better leverage than a friend and colleague?

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2011-08-30 05:44

"No, thank-you." Aquila said softly when asked if she desired anything right now. She didn't want to trouble Laurel, or any of her hired staff as Aquila got up to greet the other woman. She wasn't sure what all this was about but, judging by Laurel's expression, it seemed serious though she also appeared very grateful for the demure pilot to be here on such short notice. Taking a seat after Laurel sat down again, Aquila folded her hands onto her lap and smiled nervously, still unsure why the noble lady would think a mere starfighter pilot like herself would be useful for anything. Maybe she just needs some advice on something... Aquila thought, deluding herself as past experiences have taught her that things were seldom that simplistic.

When the door opened again, another woman walked in and Aquila recognized her from the ball though she hadn't talked to her at all. The introductions were quick but polite as Aquila shook Syn's hand and said, "Pleased to meet you Syn. I'm Aquila." After the introductions, Aquila returned to rubbing her arm nervously, unsure of what to expect and not small part of her was a little fearful that this was going to be something big and dangerous. No... I'm just being paranoid... and scared that I'm not with anyone else from the squadron...

No... No, it's a valid concern.

Before Laurel could begin, a serving droid emerged into the room with a large tray of drinks and food. "Madam, would you or your esteemed guests care for refreshments?" Laurel gestured for the droid to set the tray down on the table which it dutifully did before retreating out of the room. Looking at the food, Aquila could only imagine how skilled the chef was, small finger snacks well prepped and the inviting aroma tickling her taste buds already. Syn had said it best when she had asked Laurel what was wrong and Aquila waited for the answer with only a little trepidation and she consciously had to stop herself from rubbing her arm.
"If you believe in luck, wish for the good version." -Lando Calrissian, Shadows of the Empire

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2011-09-01 04:53

Paperwork. Always more paperwork. The man at the desk scowled; he'd rather be down in the secure communications room, running an operation. It was easily the most enjoyable part of his job, even as he knew every time he hoped it would be a milk run, and that his operative would come back alive. Major Malcolm Keyes, Field Runner for Special Warfare Command's top solo operative, looked at his watch and sighed. Only four hours had passed since his shift began, and by the looks of things, he still had many more to go.

The sound of the secure comlink lying on his desk broke the Major from his reverie. Snatching it up, he spoke calmly into it.

"Go for Keyes." The voice on the other end was that of High Colonel Wolfgang Dieter, the Director of SPECWARCOM, and his boss' boss. To be contacted directly was a rare thing, and a strange one. Normally, orders came through High Colonel Lyric Dettun, but this too would have to be acceptable. The Director did not say much, only to have Keyes and his operative, Sergeant Major Spykeri Katarn, codenamed "Omega," report to his quarters on the NIFSS Presentable. Checking his chrono, he saw that he had just enough time to make it if he left right now, and let the Director know he was on his way. Grabbing his go-bag on the way out, Keyes triple-tapped his portable comlink, letting Spyker know to meet him ASAP. When the Director calls, you answer, and Keyes did not want to disappoint.

"Go!'" The voice in Spyker's helmet spoke out clearly as the lights dimmed and the test began, letting him know it was time to move to the first part of every operator's favorite training exercise: the shoot house. From the start point, the operative sprinted to the entrance, putting his back to the wall with no small amount of force before pivoting and entering. He "sliced the pie," as the parlance went, shifting his aim from one corner to the next quickly and deliberately. A pair of mechanical pop-up targets appeared, then disappeared just as fast as two three-round bursts hit them square-on, one per target. A third target appeared in the last corner, this one holding the silhouette of an E-11 to look like an alerted hostile target. Spyker hit it on the move as he strafed through the room to the next door, placing his back against this next wall.

Dropping his hand to the side, he pulled out and flung a practice stun grenade through the archway into the next room. After a two-count, he repeated the same process as he did in the first room, only moving in the opposite direction. Several more three-round bursts rang out, the observers outside only seeing the flashes of light from the cutout windows as the live rounds flew from the DC-17m in his hands.

Beyond that room lay a long hallway, reminiscent of those found in some command-and-control bunkers across the galaxy. Spyker took a half-second to apprise the layout before moving from cover to cover, eliminating those pop-up targets as they appeared. Within seconds, he was through and in the final room. The shoot house objective lay within: a simulated hostage scenario where the hostage had a weapon to his or her head. Dropping his carbine to let it hang by its sling across his chest, Spyker drew and fired his sidearm in one smooth motion, planting a single round exactly where it should go: the target's simulated cranial cavity.

When this last room was completed, the lights clicked back on to full, revealing the full layout of the shoot house. Calmly, Spyker safed his weapon, and walked over to the exit door, where he was met by the trainer, a Sergeant Major like himself. He pulled off his helmet to speak with the man.

"How'd I do, Gunny?"

"Not too shabby, 'Mega. Beat Alpha Lead by about three seconds." Spyker gave a grin at that; like all special forces, theirs was a highly competitive organization. Spyker wasn't sure who Alpha Lead was, due to the nature of SPECWARCOM's tight compartmentalization, but whoever he was, the man was good. "Let's go take a look at the tape, see where you went wrong." Before the two could get very far, though, Spyker's wristcomp buzzed. Looking at it, he took note of the priority message, and then looked up at the other sergeant.

"It'll have to wait, Gunny. They're calling me out again." He gave a slight shrug. "Such is our job, I guess. Catch you later, man." He left the training area, stopping only to pick up a tactical hardcase with several of his collected personal weapons and his Camoleon Mk.II armor before heading to the nearest shuttle. It was a 90 minute flight to the rendezvous, and he didn't want to be late.

"You ready, Sergeant? From what I've heard about Director Dieter, he's a bit of a hardass."

"Major, I've been shot at, cut up, burned, tortured, and have even lost an eye. Whatever he can throw at me, I can take. Let's see what he has. Sir."
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Laurel WinteShrine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Laurel WinteShrine » 2011-09-04 00:34

Laurel patiently waited for the droids to finish serving their refreshments and letting her companions take what they liked before beginning. She had assembled her own plate of the certain morsels lain out before them, but was, as usual, too full of anxiety to find herself desiring any of it. Still, she bit into a piece of fruit with feigned interest, covering her mouth politely as she chewed; it went gone down her throat like a lump of cement.

“Sorry for to call you both so abruptly.. I‘m afraid that this was the only time I would have been able to speak with you and time for me, sadly, is short.” Laurel stiffened visibly at how doomed she sounded in that last statement, and as such was quick to correct herself. “That is, I mean.. I don‘t have a lot of time to waste. I had another previous engagement today that I had to attend to.. and.. there is just so much going on…” Laurel sat back in the cushions, running a hand through her bangs and feeling as though a weight was placed once again on her chest. Her lip trembled at the thought of Wolfgang in their earlier encounter, but she saved face and instantly composed herself. What with everything going on, her mind already a writhing mess of strategizing and her wayward emotions; these factors, along with the fact that hadn’t slept last night, or the night before then for that matter.. it was all beginning to take its toll, very quickly.

“Excuse me if I seem a bit absent-minded. I‘ve been staying up late… for duty.” She smiled, hoping that her fatigue at least looked convincingly like the charge of being a dutiful officer, self-consciously running a hand over the developing shadow beneath one of her eyes. “But yes,” The ensign got up from her seat and retrieved a file that she had hidden beneath the chaise cushion before leaving earlier in the morning, then sat before the two women again and opened the folder. “I apologize.. For your protection, I don‘t want to divulge too much information to you.. just in case, for your safety.” Laurel guiltily turned her gaze to the window, her voice quiet. “I understand that perhaps I ought to tell you the entirety of this situation, but should something.. not go according to plan, I need to know that there won‘t be any repercussions to affect you both as well.” She looked toward Mydnyte, then Aquila, and managed another nervous smile. She picked up a list of names, her features marring into worry; A list of their subjects, no doubt. An obituary of the despairing and forgotten.

“With the information that you had uncovered for me, Mydnyte, we have found exactly what I had been looking for.” One name had stood out in stark clarity on the list, an ’E.W. Shrine’ that had been far too much of a coincidence to be anyone else but her sister. One thing, however, did not add up: the bulk of the information Mydnyte had obtained spanned over a decade, far longer than Eupemede had been missing. Cosidering the circumstances, it was probably a measure they had taken to cover their tracks. “The information that you had uncovered has been absolutely vital to this endeavor of mine, and you have my eternal gratitude. Anything at all that you require of myself, it is yours. But there is one further thing that I will must ask you to do.. It must be destroyed. All of it, so it cannot be traced back to you.”

Trepidation bound itself within her chest, Laurel’s mind rolling a mile a minute through an entire duty list of her worries, attempting to plan to the last minute detail to deter anything from going awry. She had to inwardly smirk at herself- Wolfgang had been rubbing off on her. She crossed her legs, placing her hands over her knee and laced her fingertips together, idly swaying her foot to and fro. It had been six years since she had seen her last, and it was six years that Euphemede was elder to her; How would she look now, at nearly twenty-nine years old? The memory of her sister had once lived immortal within her mind, but as time went on- in that room -the trivial things began to dissipate rapidly, washed away at first; the placement of an errant freckle, of hair that almost completely mirrored Laurel‘s own, but fell in a wave of ringlets, just so. Her smell, the strongest in Laurel’s memory, had been the very last to go; it was as if just one day, it dispelled itself from her bedroom, no longer lingered on her clothes. The girls only had the few similarities that seemed to always present itself between siblings, but were not identical by any means. Age would further blur these lines, smeared like chalk, as one day Laurel just not a Small Lady anymore, running through the house and causing trouble; but a Lady of the House who swept through it. Through all of these years, where had Euphemede left her mark, besides paintings and shadows of memory?
Time itself was not elegant, it more often had a tendency to corrupt beauty.

Laurel forced herself to not dwell on her thoughts of the six years that had passed, if in that time it had managed to destroy what was left of her sister. Such thoughts were futile, and would only serve to weaken her resolve.
She would have been long married by now, should have children…

Stop it.

“And Miss Aquila.. you also have my undying gratitude for considering my previous request. Even so, if you decline it, you have my thanks for even showing up here tonight… but.. I desperately need someone to make a delivery to Jephrie, that is all; the final destination of which will be far too dangerous for you to venture to, and is still enough of a ways off to ensure your safety.” Laurel looked pointedly at Aquila and gave her a small, tired smile. “There will be people waiting to relieve you of this package, and that is all I am asking you to do. But it musn‘t be opened, at all… for I will be inside.” Laurel produced a small box from her pocket, opening it and setting it down before the two women; inside sat three ampoules of various unlabeled liquids; one with an opaque, indigo-blue coloring and the reamining two with a milky-white substance. “I won‘t divulge the details. But I do believe it is rather clear what I intend to do.” She sat back into the cushions and looked down at her hands now clasped within her lap, scared of how her two companions would react to the desperation of her plan.

Laurel had gotten the idea from one of the old stories her mother had used to read to her and her sister as children. She would sleep, as still and unfeeling as death itself until the “remedy”- merely a contraindication to be taken before the drug, not a foolproof antidote -of the strong sedative would release within her system and awaken her several hours later as a side-effect. Research on the two drugs had proved successful if taken in the right doses; as such, she had watched the pharmacologist herself initially measure the mixture, a second time, and yet again until she had been satisfied. It certainly wasn’t an infallible plan, but it was a chance, and a damned good one if it worked. If. But at this point, it was all that she had, especially since she was to be doing this alone.

p r o f i l e

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2011-09-04 05:22

Aquila glanced between the two women, a fearful and concerned look on her face as she couldn't help but feel that she was being left out of something. It was a familiar feeling for Aquila, and she always held mixed emotions about it, on the one hand, it made her sad that they couldn't confide in her while, at the same time, she had long since learned that, the less she knew about something, the better as it meant she wouldn't be earmarked as a person of interest in whatever Laurel had going on. Still, she wanted to help and something in her said that there was something bad going on. Listening to Laurel speak, Aquila felt her hands tingle, that feeling of uneasy anticipation she likened to someone asking her, in a very disarming and polite way, for her to stick her neck out.

"I'll gladly help," Aquila nodded, her expression not changing any as she hoped to get at least some idea as to why she was helping or what was going on. Though Aquila probably didn't realize it herself, Laurel could have just as easily found a transport company to transport this package that contained the noble woman. Seeing the strange vials on the table, Aquila wasn't entirely sure what Laurel intended to do and her expression showed it as she glanced over at Syn and then back at Laurel. "I..." she began, her words slow to come out as she tried to fathom what little she had heard. Laurel wanted to go to Jephrie, for reasons unknown but dangerous all the same, and Aquila was to deliver a package which would contain Laurel who had three strange vials, their purpose allegedly clear. Sadly, Aquila wasn't one to connect vague dots very easily, being a pilot meant her life was simple and she never had to concern herself with things like intrigue.

Still looking puzzled, Aquila hung her head down a little. "What is all this about?" Looking back up, a flicker of conviction appeared in the pilot's blue eyes, her brow furrowing just enough to keep that timid and confused look. "If I'm going to help take you somewhere, I think I'm at least entitled to know why..."

Blitzkrieg
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Blitzkrieg » 2011-09-04 14:47

Wolfgang sighed in disgust as he let the call end, waiting for the operative and his handler to arrive. The difference between what things were done officially and unofficially was merely a thin line of 'need-to-know', but...what the director was doing right now was sickening to his very core. Laurel deserved to know, he felt; Hell, she deserved better than someone who would do this...and he loved her, more than enough to want to tell her the entire thing. Lying to her through silence had hurt, on many levels: he had been severely dishonest to her, and had perpetuated it through the willful maintenance of certain secrets. Perhaps it would have been easier to just walk with her to the hangar and force himelf aboard her ship. It would have been easier on his frayed nerves, at least, and probably easier on his efforts at a relationship with Laurel. Once she found out, though, he was probably done for.

Wolfgang, personally, had no reach within the sanctum of stone and glass known as the Winte'Shrine estate. It was a private citizen's home, and as an officer of the Imperial army and otherwise a private citizen of the Federation carrying out his duty to the same, he had no legal reach within another citizen's dwelling. However, as the serving Operations Director of the NIF's recently-established Special Warfare Command, the high-colonel had ways of stepping around this particular lack, and had the implicit blessing of his government to do so, as long as he wasn't caught. That was why, when the ISIS sensor satellite orbiting Neelanon had been ordered to shift into a geosynchronous orbit over the estate, the ISIS had investigated as far as realizing the DO and his DDI had authorized the move, and then dropped the issue.

The satellite itself was good at zeroing in on a structure and retrieving the sound and visual from the inside of the place. It was information like this that had been helpful in countless Special Operations and ISIS commando assaults, ensuring that the team or agent was in and out without being compromised. Now, it was serving the exact opposite purpose: compromising the privacy of an Imperial citizen...and at that, one who had not done anything worthy of such intense scrunity. Sighing, Wolfgang lowered his head slightly in shame, uttering a prayer that none would have heard. When he was finished, he looked up to the door of the room, and a few seconds later, it opened. Hoping against hope, he had wanted it to open to show Laurel striding back in, to relieve him of his worries. He knew this couldn't be, however; he would have been warned of her departing Neelanon...would have been given constant updates of whenever she changed flight paths to reach him, and so on. As it stood, the coordinator had kept a keen eye on the situation on Neelanon, and had informed Wolfgang during his brief moment of prayer that the estate had three people all visiting within one room. One of them was Laurel, and Aquila was the second; the third was unidentified, though the high-colonel paid it no mind.

Calmly, he filed the existence of the third party away in his memory for later; the audio feed that was being analyzed at the DDI's office had, per her report, indicated that this third entity was responsible for Laurel's findings. That answered a why, but not a who...and if the information was the woman's only reason for being involved, Wolfgang wasn't inclined to care about a name. The presence of the fighter pilot, however, added something to the situation. Shaking his head, he decided he'd pry for a name later, when his thoughts were a touch clearer. Besides, he had more pressing matters to attend to.

Laurel hadn't been at the door when it opened--naturally, because she was at her manor, meeting with other people. Instead, when the door opened, it was Omega and the handler. Whether or not this unnerved the high-colonel at the time was unknown, and he didn't entirely plan on letting that particular bit of information slip. "Gentlemen, sit," he said calmly, gesturing to some chairs in the room. "I have a favor to ask you...and it's not a simple one." Waiting until they were both seated, he let out a soft, low sigh. "Lady Winte'Shrine...the damsel from the ball earlier this past month..." He felt awkward, somehow, talking about this, even in front of people of the same profession...or was it because they were all of the same profession that lended the awkwardness to the moment? He couldn't decipher that much. "She's heading off to...I don't know where, yet...planning to rescue her sister from something she wouldn't explain, and I'm worried that it's going to be the death of her if she goes alone." This line of discussion was already irritating for him. He didn't have enough information to make a complete, concise summary of what was going on, and it meant asking these men to help him while basically going in blind. Normally, he would grabbed a man by the throat if it meant getting more information out of him, but this had been...an entirely different case. "I know it isn't much to go on, but intel is piecing it all together as it comes in to present as clear a picture as possible. Can I count on you two?"

Kyp Baker
Deceased
Custom Title: Commander (Ret.)
Organizational Unit: Omega Order

Post by Kyp Baker » 2011-09-05 06:34

Third Fleet. It was good to be back home.

Kyp wasn't very familiar with the Presentable, it hadn't been in service when he had commanded Third Fleet. Still, it had a familiarity about it, a certain rhythm that set it apart from other fleets in the Federation. Third was the best damn fleet in the galaxy, no matter how hard McFini tried. Kyp let a small chuckle escape. He didn't envy McFini at all given the shape the galaxy was in. He had left at the right time.

Crew members stole glances at Kyp as he walked down the hall. It was clear what he was. A tight black tunic and black pants, boots, and a lightsabre swinging from his belt were a clear indication that this was a Dark Jedi. He could feel the fear and nervousness. None would look at him directly, none wanted to be on the wrong end of his lightsabre and that made him sad. Sure, intimidation could be useful at times, but it wasn't like he was going to murder anybody here. These used to be officers under his command, people that respected him and now all he got was fear. It was the path he had choosen and he had to live with it.

Kyp found an officer who didn't seem too intimidated and flagged him down. The officer walked over, stopped with military precision and threw up a salute. Kyp smiled and shook his head, but gave the officer a return salute. "Lieutenant, at ease. I need your help finding the quarters of High Colonel Dieter. I don't really know my way around these new Warhammer ships."

The young Lieutenant gave him a look that scream "Why in hell would you want to go there?", but answered his question. "Of course, sir. Two levels down, turn right and it should be a few steps off the turbolift." Kyp thanked him and turned to leave. "Sir?" The Dark Jedi twisted back around, his eyebrow raised. "I always liked you as a commander. Third Fleet took a hit when you left."

Kyp flashed him a lopsided grin. "I'll be sure to left Grand Admiral McFini know." He winked and continued on his way.

A short turbolift ride later and he found himself standing in front of the door of an old friend, one Wolfgang Dieter, better known as Blitzkrieg. Kyp sighed as his finger hovered over the door chime. It had been a while since they had talked, back during Kyp's darkest moment. It was something he didn't want to remember, but something he had to. He needed to talk to Blitz about it, needed to show his friend that he was different now, because he felt his friend had lost respect for him. The Dark Jedi willed his arm forward and a soft melodious chime came from the room when the button depressed. Kyp heard shuffling and a moment later, the door opened to a very intimidating man.

"Hello, Wolfgang. It's been a while. I..." and then Kyp noticed two other presences in the room. He had been distracted by his own introspection. One of the presences was very familiar. "Hello, Spyker," Kyp said over Blitz's shoulder. "Sorry, I didn't realize you had company. I'll just go wait in the lounge until you're through."

Laurel WinteShrine
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Laurel WinteShrine » 2011-09-07 05:31

Laurel was quiet for a long moment before answering Aquila’s question, clearly dictating what was to be said beforehand within her mind before she dared to speak again. Indeed, the Ensign was already too exhausted up in her fatigue and lurking paranoia of this little intrigue of hers that the change to the young pilot had gone completely unnoticed. Irritation colored Laurel’s thoughts, and she knew that the fatigue had been feeding into it; not that the question Aquila had asked had been unreasonable, far from it. “That is very true, Miss Aquila.” Her brow furrowed as she spent more time obviously overturning something quite considerable within her thoughts, and finally uncrossed her legs from before her and crossed them again as she cleared her throat, a hand moving to pull gently through her hair in frustration, though her features were still as composed as if they were all merely conversing about the weather. She looked back outside the large picture window; the leaves had begun to turn a riot of gold, scarlet, in their passionate fervor to change their robes for the oncoming solstice.

“It would be far too long to tell the entire story, but I have reason to believe that I have found my sister after many years of thinking that she had been dead.. But, indeed, she has been suffering a fate far worse than this.” The poignant look on the young woman’s face clearly spoke volumes about her reluctance to elaborate on these circumstances. “I am torn; she had spoken to me, at the ball, and told me in no uncertain terms that I was not to find her. Indeed, whomever has taken her has been… watching me. For whatever reason that they had taken her, apparently I possess the same… I don‘t know, “traits” that she has, for some kind of study ; if given the chance, they would not spare the opportunity to take me as well.” Never looking away from the window, the furl and coloring of the leaves suddenly lost their beauty; it seemed like everything, everywhere, had an ulterior motive…herself included.

“For one, I have absolutely no idea what I will find where she is located. I have asked for both your help, but I do not wish to jeopardize you by any means for helping me in such a delicate manner. And secondly,” She gestured toward the small vials, pointing first toward the blue one. “This is a highly concentrated form of Bavo Six. If anything, if I could get some further information from someone while I was there, it could prove beneficial. And may keep them from doing it again. And these two,” She pointed to the twin white vials of liquid. “Adrenaline. I really have no idea how long I may be there until I can find the means to leave again, I‘ll need to keep my energy up. They‘re small, but they‘re effective.”

This, sadly, had been a monumental lie: Indeed, the blue tincture was the debilitating sedative; but the two white ones were hardly a supplemental energy source and its standby. Two ampoules, filled with synox, one of the strongest toxic substances one could find. It would hardly be a peaceful, gracious way to die- but it was potent, and would render a body absolutely useless to anybody trying to synthesize any type of sample from it afterwards. Her stomach lurched at the thought of giving her already enfeebled sister something so horrific, but she would finally be free of the tortures she had been subjected to and… free to rest.
And, if Laurel found herself in the same situation… there was an extra one as well, for her.

Two moonlit lakes for a pair of lilies to drown in if they had, indeed, chased the moon in vain.

p r o f i l e

Aquila Slyphs
Flight Commodore
Flight Commodore

Post by Aquila Slyphs » 2011-09-07 18:55

Aquila listened to the explanation quietly, hanging on Laurel's every word as if she were imparting some sage wisdom that could save her life. She felt herself tear up at the pain of losing a family member, Aquila still unable to fully piece together her own family life as she was hearing and seeing one thing but her mind was thinking another, refusing to believe that the idyllic life she had lived in opulent extravagance on Corellia was naught but a lie. She refused to believe it but some part of her had accepted it as truth so she continued to live in denial which wasn't so bad as she was able to keep her mind off it usually, thanks to the company of friends, or the frequent patrols and chatter from her squadmates.

Glancing out the window, she watched the leaves fall, the trees becoming bare as they painted the ground below with splashes of autumn colours. "I... I see..." was all Aquila could manage, unable to fully fathom what she had just been told. "Wouldn't, what's it called... Nutrient paste? Wouldn't that be a little more useful in the long term than pure adrenaline, especially since you don't know how long you're going to need it for?" Aquila had some idea about basic nutrition and those vials would only be good for the very short term while nutrient paste could last for weeks and provide all the benefits of a fully balanced meal. Spyker had imparted a few pearls of wisdom though it had to be said he wasn't much of a conversationalist, unless it involved stuff like weapons, tactics, survival, or anything related to his profession, then he might be able to talk about it for hours. I sure learned a lot at any rate. Searching her pockets, Aquila suddenly wished she kept a tube of the bland paste with her to give Laurel but, alas, she didn't have one. With a sheepish look, she apologized. "I... I usually carry some with me but... I'm sorry to say I must have left it in my flight suit."

Looking at the other innocuous vial, she wondered what sort of information someone would possess that a wealth of credits wouldn't be more effective in getting. Bavo Six... That's an interrogation drug. What's an ensign doing with that sort of knowledge, let alone the drug? The drug name sounded only vaguely familiar to Aquila who was suddenly reminded of the interrogation after she had been rescued by Spyker and Devan. She shivered suddenly at the memories, the intense fear and paranoia, worse than it was normally for her as even her own shadow made her scream in terror at the time, never mind the black hovering spherical interrogation droid with its painful instruments or the scary men with their pliers, pointy sticks and shock prods.

Whatever Laurel was up to, it did indeed sound dangerous and though Aquila didn't feel entirely convinced by all she heard, she wasn't going to press the woman for more details as it was probably distressing enough to reveal this much. "I'm sorry... I... I hope you get your sister back." A smile full of hope and determination appeared on Aquila's otherwise sad face as though she were already fearing the worst (which was true since seldom a moment went by when she didn't think of the worst-case scenarios). Whoever the people were that took Laurel's sibling, Aquila knew the determination the woman must have felt right now, and opened her mouth to ask why Laurel didn't want to jeopardize either Syn or Aquila but swiftly closed it, knowing full well the reason herself. She doesn't want to get either myself or Syn hurt if anything goes wrong...

It was a touching thought and one that threatened to make the tears in Aquila's eyes fall if she hadn't resolved to try and help further regardless of Laurel's wishes. Aquila felt the same way at times in the past but her friends had come though for her every time. Now it was high time to return the favor. Glancing at Syn, Aquila wondered if the other woman had any questions or concerns to voice. I wonder if she feels the same way I do, about wanting to help beyond what Laruel intends.

Aquila blinked a few times to try and reduce the tears before reaching over for one of the snacks. She finally felt like eating, her nerves starting to get the better of her as she felt the backs of her hands start to tingle, the apprehension growing within her. Picking up one of the bite sized morsels of food, she quietly nibbled away on it, feeling marginally better now that she was eating something, her stomach no longer as empty as it had been. So Aquila had to fly the noble lady somewhere. Now was one of those times Aquila wished she owned a vessel of her own, there were a lot of nice ones in the galaxy but she didn't have the wealth she once did (which never really existed in the first place) and her bank account was looking woefully small compared to the cost of even a subcap. I'm going to have to rent a vehicle, unless...

"I don't suppose you already own the transport you want me to fly or should I go make arrangements to rent one?" Aquila asked, rubbing the back of her head now as she felt ashamed for not having a ship to call her own despite being a pilot. Already her mind was imagining their mocking looks and laughter but she fought it back, keeping a straight, if somewhat ashamed, face with her downcast eyes regarding the last remnants of the tiny sandwich before she finished it off and went for another, holding it in both hands as a means to stop herself from rubbing herself as she nibbled on it, the nervousness now in overdrive.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2011-09-09 00:56

"Can I count on you two?" That was a strange question to ask, Spyker thought. He and his handler were trained to do their jobs as best they could, perhaps not to perfection, but damn close anyway. COL Dieter was new to the job, though, and so Spyker had to cut the man some slack. Spyker's reputation in SPECWARCOM was well established under his codename of Omega, but that was under the former director. He'd have to reestablish that trust, and that reputation with this man, an experienced operator in his own right, and one not too fond of operators like the sergeant. He'd heard the man didn't like 'solos,' but after what happened to Spyker's last official team, he wasn't about to take over another one. It was just another distraction, and one he didn't want.

Keyes was looking over at him, as if to say 'Should we do this?' Spyker's answer was fairly clear, given the events that had transpired not too long before. He'd gone AWOL with Alath Links, one of the pilots in the veteran Fenrir Squadron, to investigate a mutual friend's disappearance. They eventually ended up assaulting a university with a full naval task force at their back. After doing all that, how could he be a hypocrite and say no to the man? To Keyes, he simply nodded, signifying his assent. Keyes took the hint and answered for the both of them.

"We're in, sir. What do you need us to do?" Before the Director could respond, the door to Dieter's office opened, revealing a tall, fit man with very short brown hair. He was fairly nondescript, but Spyker knew him immediately by the Force signature he emanated. It was his commander and teacher, Dark Jedi Disciple Kyp Baker.

The soldier let nothing show outwardly, but he was mentally kicking himself for not sensing his arrival sooner. The appearance of the man could blow the careful concealment of his nature from the Army; given the strong anti-Dark Jedi sentiment beginning to rumble beneath the professional veneer of the armed services, his career could take a serious hit, that is, if nobody decided to Code Red him first. Thankfully, Kyp left before anything more could be said or revealed, but not before greeting him personally.

'Oh, shit.' Spyker's mind raced as he tried to think of a way to spin it as the Director stared at him with a questioning look on his face. "We worked together on a few missions. I'd like to say more, but both are classified higher than any of us in this room, sorry." He brought the conversation back on topic. "What are the details of this new op, sir? We're listening."
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Blitzkrieg
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by Blitzkrieg » 2011-09-09 07:00

Wolfgang walked over to the desk again, watching Kyp make for the lounge, and shook his head. Perhaps there was distaste spreading for the Omega Order amidst the ranks--Surface Marshal Ambicon had indicated something to that extent, at least, with her comments on the disaster at Sarapin--but the high-colonel had heard none of it, and there were a few that he trusted. One of those rare few had just been at his door a few short seconds ago, and the two were long overdue to catch up on one Hell of a lot of things from the past few months. From the way the man's wife had been talking of late, though, he was beginning to also worry if they had lost trust for each other. He hoped otherwise...but little could change that if it was already underway...and he had something else, something more important, to consider at the time. "This better not wind up being shit I need to know for this op," was all he said in regards to the sergeant-major's attempts at explaining the case away.

Beyond that, he allowed it to drop without further incident. "As to the operation itself..." Nodding once, he tapped a button on his desk and spoke into the communicator device. "DDI, update."

"Lady Winte'Shrine is still in her estate, sir," the woman's voice came; as usual, the voice of the Intelligence operative was calm and largely devoid of emotion.

Wolfgang nodded. "She'll be heading out at some point," he said, recalling the name of the planet in question. "When she leaves for Jephrie, our strike force is going to pursue, while ISIS assets under the DDI's control determine if the planet in question is her destination, or just a waypoint. Whichever it is, we are to deploy for mission readiness once we have a definite destination; she's hunting for her sister, and I plan to give her some backup." A thought came to the colonel's mind shortly afterwards, and he couldn't help but smile at it. "We'll need some rather decent transportation for this, just a little larger than usual. Sergeant Katarn, if you could, work with Commander Riinuuk and see if Fourth Fleet would like to volunteer some assets for the cause. He was at the ball. Tell him it involves the hostess; he'll know who you mean."

Heading for the door, Wolfgang gave the two a look that conveyed his gratitude to them for their agreeing to assist. "I can answer further questions at a later time, but there's a matter I need to attend to. You're dismissed." With that, he was on his way out of the door, and already had his communicator in-hand. "Miss Hartford," he began, speaking into it calmly. The voice that responded back sounded slightly preoccupied, as though eating something. Late meal, he surmised. "Staff Sergeant, I take it you're in the lounge." The voice cleared up and responded in the affirmative; Wolfgang didn't have to be a mind-reader to know that she was worried about something...probably about the fact that she was again dealing with him directly. She'd get used to it, eventually...or be reassigned. "You should see a Dark Jedi in there right now; the old regulars in Third will recognize him. Let him know to find me in the ship's chapel."

...And there, that room of prayer and faithful devotion, was exactly where Wolfgang went next.