Forum rules
Sari Kiveli
Operative
Operative

Sari Kiveli

Post by Sari Kiveli » 2012-04-07 03:28

In-Character Information:
Name: Sari "Saija" Kiveli
Physical Description: Sari is an unassuming woman. Pretty in that sort of non-distinct way that would be more impressive if she paid more attention to her makeup, she's a little shorter than average, standing at 158 cm and rather slender. However, her eyes are distinctive, an amber-gold hue that while common on her home planet is rarer in humanity as a whole. Further, she frequently dyes her hair, and its precise colour tends to change as often as once a week depending on her mood. While naturally a light brown, it's more commonly seen in vivid red or green, or a pale ice blue reminiscent of the glaciers of her home.
Primary Position: Intelligence Analyst

Bio: The planet Tammerfors is the eighth planet in a very crowded system. While the star is somewhat brighter than average for inhabited planets, Tammerfors lies at the very edge of the Goldilocks zone, and is famous within the system for the ferocity and length of its winters. Sari spent most of her young life indoors, taking advantage of the short summers well enough, but entirely content to stay curled up and simply watching the snow the rest of the time.

She was the daughter of a sanitation worker and a clerk, the elder of two daughters. Her parents divorced while she was still young, although not quite so young that she did not remember how it was near the end around the house. They were some of the few times she preferred to stay in the snow, rather than find somewhere warm inside. She grew up that way, shuttled between the two homes, frequently a point of friction between her two parents, and doing her best to keep her head down.

It didn't always work. She and her sister, Katariina, usually stayed with their mother, who Sari would politely describe as an emotionally intense woman. Extremely needy, she had no sense of appropriate boundaries, and Sari found herself acting more like a head of household than either of her parents, and without the power and authority that came with it.

She did the best she could, organising the household where others wouldn't, and keeping her sister—two years younger than her—as sheltered as possible from the mercurial temperaments of their parents. It took a toll on her, though. She was a poor student, stuck in a school that did not suit her, and having little time at home to complete out of class studies or assignments.

It came to a head not long before she turned sixteen. Her failures had started to compound—without adequate background in previous years, she was struggling progressively more with new material—and both her parents were disappointed in her academic performance. She found herself more isolated as well, her sister starting to become wrapped up in her own life, and without the time to invest in maintaining her relationship with the few friends she had managed to make.

A few weeks before her birthday, after leaving a note to her sister, she left home, abandoning her schooling mid-term and drifting until on her sixteenth birthday she enlisted in the planetary defence force, forging her mother's signature to get around the requirements for minors.

To her utter astonishment, not only was she accepted, but she ended up flourishing in the new environment. While she had just barely squeaked by during her enlistment examinations, the new structure and well-defined responsibilities suited her, and for the first time she found herself able to focus on herself, despite the focus on the group and minimisation of self that the PDF tried to ingrain. At the end of her first year, she scored high enough on proficiency tests that she was marked as an officer candidate, and given leave of absence to pursue a degree, entirely funded by the military.

She took her degree in industrial engineering, and after the subsequent officer training course, she returned to complete her term of service as a commissioned lieutenant in the PDF's engineering corps. Most of her career thereafter was spent providing support to civilian agencies. The strife across the galaxy did not impact Tammerfors extensively. The Imperial government was largely locally staffed, and with few politically radical positions or visible minorities, the entire system was of little ideological interest to the Empire at large. While there was a crackdown after a suspected bomb plot, very little came of it, and soon enough the system had settled down again.

In stark contrast to the rather stable politics, Tammerfors' natural cycles were a constant threat, and much of Sari's time was spent designing and reinforcing buildings and barricades, and organising and supervising rescue and relief efforts to regions afflicted by natural disasters. She proved to be good at her work, an able administrator and a rather clever engineer, receiving citations for her service, and over the four remaining years of her term of service being promoted twice.

Despite this aptitude, she chose not to continue her career after she had finished her required five total years, and was honourably discharged not long after her promotion to captain, preferring to pursue life outside of the military for the time being.

With few expenses, only sending money regularly to her sister back home, she had saved a considerable sum by that point, and used it to return to school, supplementing it with work as a graduate student and scholarships. She finished her studies in near record time, a short two years after entering, receiving her doctorate in economics at 27, an impressive accomplishment for someone who had spent five of those years in the military rather than full time education.

She spent a year after this doing post-doctoral work, acquiring a fellowship at a fairly prestigious university to conduct her research. It was this research, into the influence of holonet delays on capital transfers and the consequent impact on industrial production, that finally gained her notice beyond her planet. Published first a mere eight months after she begun her fellowship, it was not read widely outside of certain circles, but that was enough as it turned out.

Her work was deemed by Imperial intelligence officials to be of military value, and she was approached by the local ISIS bureau. After explaining to her exactly why her work was valuable, they proceeded to offer her a position she couldn't reasonably pass up on. She would accept a commission within the intelligence community, and consequently would have her research funded by the military, as well as having access to databases and methodologies that were out of reach to her at a civilian fellowship, even a prestigious one. She jumped at the chance, wrapping up her affairs on Tammerfors and transferring to her new position at the first possible opportunity.

OOC note: While this doesn't explicitly mention force sensitivity, according to the member manual, a 1K word bio is the threshold for that and this clocks in at 1012, so if it's not a problem, I would make her that. She doesn't know, which is why it isn't in there, and I think it would be funny to have what amounted to a Jedi economist, or really that her force-enhanced specialty is pattern recognition and intuition about market and industrial trends, since it's what she's focused on in her life, rather than something like piloting or animal empathy.

Out of Character Information:
E-mail Address: Honestly, seeing as I never check my email, it's probably best to PM me.
Contact Info: PM! I'll actually look at them whenever I log in.
How did you find out about us?: A link, I think?

Seamus
Staff Corporal
Staff Corporal
Custom Title: Hammer 4-4
Organizational Unit: 213th Armor Division

Re: Sari Kiveli

Post by Seamus » 2012-04-07 13:05

Welcome to the Federation!

If you need help getting situated with the site one of our Admins or I can help. You can also Either join in, or Start a thread in the lounge, or Training Center.

We also have a Chatroom, which you can enter via the "Holonet" link under the "Operations" tab, usually I'm in there.

Anyways, hope you stick around.

Oh yeah, just outta curiosity, are you the person I shouted at on Tumblr?
"Nuts!" - General McAuliffe
"No, the reply is decidedly not affirmative."

Sari Kiveli
Operative
Operative

Post by Sari Kiveli » 2012-04-07 16:04

Thank you~ And, I don't think so. I don't tend to follow tumblrs.

Seamus
Staff Corporal
Staff Corporal
Custom Title: Hammer 4-4
Organizational Unit: 213th Armor Division

Post by Seamus » 2012-04-07 17:55

Ah, ok then. Well. It's good to have you here!
"Nuts!" - General McAuliffe
"No, the reply is decidedly not affirmative."

Jubar Bavvet
Senator
Senator
Custom Title: Politician
Organizational Unit: Rebel Alliance Political Party

Post by Jubar Bavvet » 2012-04-07 20:33

Welcome to the Federation! It sounds like from your post that you already found the Member Manual. In case you weren't aware, we have a detailed Wiki page that has the history of the NIF. You can find it here: http://www.nifrpg.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

You can also find our History and Information.

In particular, you might find a great deal of important info in the NIF Timeline. It has a detailed account of our history, what we are and how we came to be.

As Seamus said, you can start posting. Welcome to the NIF!

Sari Kiveli
Operative
Operative

Post by Sari Kiveli » 2012-04-08 06:22

I was not aware that there was a wiki. Thank you for pointing for pointing it out!

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2012-04-08 13:34

Welcome to the NIF, Sari! Bio looks good from here; just remember to check over the Member Manual and Official Rules at some point. Like Seamus said, feel free to start posting anywhere (I see you already have, which is good), and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them in either the Academy, Holonet Chat (you'll often find many of us in there after 9PM EST), or just via PM.

Again, welcome to the NIF, and happy roleplaying!
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Lucius Nova
Operative
Operative
Custom Title: Analyst

Post by Lucius Nova » 2012-04-08 16:15

Welcome aboard !

You've been directed to all the primary places to go, and have a kickass bio and some interesting mission posts, so i'll just say glad to have you here and hope as a fellow analyst you'll share the glory ;)

You can find me on my primary account Dravius Stari, (aka Drav) but I figured an analyst deserved a welcome from another analyst ;)