Spyker's Tech Support Corner

This forum is open to any topic of discussion, including ads (but not spam).

Moderator: Academy Instructor

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Spyker's Tech Support Corner

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2013-04-20 05:25

Okay, this thread is for technical support queries. If you have questions about how something on a computer works, if you have a virus, or if you're just concerned about something, feel free to post here. If I can help, I will; if not, I'll tell you where to look. Now, without further adieu...

Bring it on :mrgreen:
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Syren
Master
Master
Custom Title: The True Empress of the N.I.F

Re: Spyker's Tech Support Corner

Post by Syren » 2013-04-20 08:56

Okay, Spyker -- So I was checking a few things out on my computer and I noticed something that I think isn't quite right but I'm not sure. In the lower right corner of my 'puter next to the clock there's an icon for my network connection. I clicked that. Now, on my husband's computer it shows only 1 internet/wireless connection. But when I click on the icon on my computer, I'm showing 5 different ones. I'm pretty sure mine should only be showing 1 and it should be the same as on my husband's computer. Am I correct? Why is mine showing 5?

~ Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way ~

J.M. Eekhoff Photography & Design | MJ Eekhoff

Syren
Master
Master

Post by Syren » 2013-04-20 16:53

Mhm. Also ... I'm currently running a scan with that Spyhunter you suggested I get. I would like to know why this thing has found 3 harmful malware thingies that are currently infecting 97 files and its only at 3% in the scan, but that Malwarebytes only found 1!?

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2013-04-21 15:05

Syren wrote:Okay, Spyker -- So I was checking a few things out on my computer and I noticed something that I think isn't quite right but I'm not sure. In the lower right corner of my 'puter next to the clock there's an icon for my network connection. I clicked that. Now, on my husband's computer it shows only 1 internet/wireless connection. But when I click on the icon on my computer, I'm showing 5 different ones. I'm pretty sure mine should only be showing 1 and it should be the same as on my husband's computer. Am I correct? Why is mine showing 5?
Screenshot?
Syren wrote:Mhm. Also ... I'm currently running a scan with that Spyhunter you suggested I get. I would like to know why this thing has found 3 harmful malware thingies that are currently infecting 97 files and its only at 3% in the scan, but that Malwarebytes only found 1!?
Spybot picks up tracking cookies and some other nondestructive items as well. You can see what is what by clicking the [+] button next to each top-level entry.

Syren
Master
Master

Post by Syren » 2013-04-21 21:50

Spyker Katarn wrote:
Syren wrote:Okay, Spyker -- So I was checking a few things out on my computer and I noticed something that I think isn't quite right but I'm not sure. In the lower right corner of my 'puter next to the clock there's an icon for my network connection. I clicked that. Now, on my husband's computer it shows only 1 internet/wireless connection. But when I click on the icon on my computer, I'm showing 5 different ones. I'm pretty sure mine should only be showing 1 and it should be the same as on my husband's computer. Am I correct? Why is mine showing 5?
Screenshot?
Actually, nevermind, lol. I had to call the cable company because we have our phone/net/cable all bundled with them. Well, I had to call them because as I was looking at our phone details, I noticed a number being called to Duluth MN. This number appears in our records as a call being made from our apartment and it's calling this Duluth # anywhere from 18 - 21 times per month! They last 1 - 2 minutes each. Now, I can guarantee that Jeff and I never call this number. I can count on my hand the number of people we would ever call and if we even use our phone once in an entire month, it is seriously a miracle and should be marked on the calendar.

So the help person was able to found out that the calls are actually being made by a cell phone. I said, 'Well that's great. Neither of us has a cell phone. In fact, we have never had cell phones. I'm home 24/7. Husband works outside the home. I can guarantee that I'm not calling Duluth and no one else is in my apartment at any time." So he put in a ticket for that.

Anyways, not that you needed any of that information, lol. But I asked him about that and he explained that there other people in the area who are using wireless connections so we're just picking up the signals. We don't connect to them, though, and no one can see which network we're connecting to.
Spyker Katarn wrote:
Syren wrote:Mhm. Also ... I'm currently running a scan with that Spyhunter you suggested I get. I would like to know why this thing has found 3 harmful malware thingies that are currently infecting 97 files and its only at 3% in the scan, but that Malwarebytes only found 1!?
Spybot picks up tracking cookies and some other nondestructive items as well. You can see what is what by clicking the [+] button next to each top-level entry.
I really like this Spyhunter 4. Not Spybot, SpyHUNTER 4. It cleaned up both mine and Jeff's 'puters, found tons of things none of the others have found (including Spybot), and our 'puters run so nicely now! I'm going to purchase one more of their products, too, in a few weeks, but for now this is great!

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2013-04-22 03:00

Syren wrote:
Spyker Katarn wrote:
Screenshot?
Actually, nevermind, lol. I had to call the cable company because we have our phone/net/cable all bundled with them. Well, I had to call them because as I was looking at our phone details, I noticed a number being called to Duluth MN. This number appears in our records as a call being made from our apartment and it's calling this Duluth # anywhere from 18 - 21 times per month! They last 1 - 2 minutes each. Now, I can guarantee that Jeff and I never call this number. I can count on my hand the number of people we would ever call and if we even use our phone once in an entire month, it is seriously a miracle and should be marked on the calendar.

So the help person was able to found out that the calls are actually being made by a cell phone. I said, 'Well that's great. Neither of us has a cell phone. In fact, we have never had cell phones. I'm home 24/7. Husband works outside the home. I can guarantee that I'm not calling Duluth and no one else is in my apartment at any time." So he put in a ticket for that.

Anyways, not that you needed any of that information, lol. But I asked him about that and he explained that there other people in the area who are using wireless connections so we're just picking up the signals. We don't connect to them, though, and no one can see which network we're connecting to.
Spyker Katarn wrote:
I really like this Spyhunter 4. Not Spybot, SpyHUNTER 4. It cleaned up both mine and Jeff's 'puters, found tons of things none of the others have found (including Spybot), and our 'puters run so nicely now! I'm going to purchase one more of their products, too, in a few weeks, but for now this is great!
The one major issue that I'm seeing with Spyhunter is there is nothing about it that I can find elsewhere; no reviews, no comparatives, nothing. To me, that throws up a red flag. Since you said it's not Spybot that you were using, that 97 items is also tossing up a flag as well; many fake AV/AS programs pop hundreds of results too in order to persuade you to buy. MBAM and Spybot I can personally vouch for, and the third one would be SUPERantispyware. Those are all the industry standard ones, at least; anything else is an iffy proposition at best.

Also, that tech may be right, but he also could be wrong. I just don't have enough information to say one way or another. Theoretically though, your husband should be seeing all the networks you are if they're all broadcasting. If not, you might have another issue.

Syren
Master
Master

Post by Syren » 2013-04-22 21:43

Yeah, Jeff's not seeing it on his if he clicks on his network icon. It just shows the one we connect to.

SpyHunter 4 - I love it. It's worked and done its job so I can't complain.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Custom Title: Fleet Commander, Self-Proclaimed Bartender, Baron
Organizational Unit: Third Fleet, Task Force Conquest, ESD Intimidator

Post by Tavish McFini » 2013-04-23 21:28

Spyk, here's two for ya:

I hear from numerous sources that 8GB RAM is more than sufficient for today's applications and games. Is that true or should I be trying to go for 16GB?

Also, GTX 660 or GTX 660 Ti? Or should I splurge and get a GTX 670? (For the record, as nice as the Titan is, there is no way in hell I'm shelling out $1000+ for that thing!!!)
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

Post by Kane » 2013-04-24 18:02

8 GB is sufficient, but on a gaming machine today you want an SSD system disk, which means you also want a RAM disk to lower deterioration plus speed it up even more. For that you want a bit more than 8 GB. 12 would work, but I'd get 16... which I did on the last pc I built.

As for 660/660ti, video below. Short summary, the 660 is almost as good but cheaper.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2013-04-24 19:33

*jots down notes*

K, 660 works for me just peachy (you're right that it is cheaper, almost $100 Monopoly Canadian for me!)

16GB is fine, RAM is generally cheap and I was already planning on an SSD with a regular HDD for backup and recovery purposes. But, now this begs the question that I was going to ask in the first post but didn't:

Intel i5-3570. I'm not going to bother trying to overclock a processor (my luck as it is with computers, I'll probably wreck the thing) but I'm told it's also sufficient by today's standards for most gaming. That said, this came from the same people who said 8GB was sufficient so now I ask should I bump up the processor or is it fine as is? Or, should I hold off for the whole new Intel Haswell line coming out?

Truth be told, I never really understood the difference between a processor and RAM. I know RAM is like short term memory while the processor is the "thinking capacity" of the computer (responsible for things like calculations and what not) while HDD and SSD is the long term memory (with SSDs able to recall things, ie load or boot up, faster).

P.S. We'll have to call this Spyker's Ace Tech Support Corner now! :D
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2013-04-25 05:02

The 660Ti is actually the lowest level for nVidia's high-end cards; it's got more on-card memory, shaders, and cores. If you can get a good price on a 660Ti, I'd honestly suggest going with that. Of course, a 670 is better, and a 675 is better still (I actually have a mobile version of this last one in my current laptop, and it works wonderfully).

Get as much RAM as you can afford. This is one of those computer parts where you literally cannot have too much of (and it's dirt-cheap too!). A proper RAMdisk, however, will take up a PCIe slot, which could probably be better used elsewhere (since SSD tech is outstanding as it is). A hybrid hard drive is lower-cost, but also imparts some of the benefits of both an SSD and a traditional mechanical drive. Of course, the storage king is still the old-school mechanical drives (of which 7200RPM is the lowest you should go for a desktop and 5400RPM is good on a mobile system).

Haswell is supposed to release in June. I would definitely suggest waiting at this point, since you'll get the cutting edge tech (and Intel has historically been rock-solid with its initial chip releases, so it's not a Vista situation with this). Otherwise, either the i5-3750K (it has the newer HD4000 integrated graphics chip) or an i7 chip would work best (e.g. the i7-3770).

You've got the high-level of it, Fini, which is the important bit. The rest are as you say, minor details.

If you're just looking to buy and not necessarily build, make sure you check out some of the more boutique shops like Digital Storm (both Laila and I have one from here and they are awesome), IBuyPower, or CyberPowerPC; you'd be surprised at how much better the deals are. My current one cost me about 1800 USD, and it's got an i7, 8GB RAM, a 750GB hybrid drive, and a 675m for graphics. Laila's is similar, but her's fell under a sale DS was having on RAM, so she's got 16GB for the same price as my eight.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2013-04-25 13:52

It's not really necessary to wait for Haswell. The processing speed improvement is only 10%, the major upgrade is graphics processing, and for that you have your graphics card. However, it looks like they'll be around the low to mid price segment, which means that if you can wait, it's not a price issue. Otherwise, an i5 is quite enough... the i7 doesn't do much more for gaming, only general applications. The reason is that the only difference is that the i5 lacks hyperthreading, and very few games support that anyway. For people looking for a laptop, the Haswell is supposed to be more power efficient, meaning longer battery life. I was satisfied with an i5-3750K. For higher performance, I would look to the Core i7-4960X. But if you're not in a hurry, hold out to see what Haswell brings (one interesting detail being a significantly larger cache, which might make a difference in general processing). Haswell is introduced in june, and CPUs with GT3/GT3e will be out in the third quarter.

As a CPU summary, the longer you wait, the better tech you get, but in no way do you need to.

A hardware RAM disk is best, but also expensive and eats up a slot. I would go (and did) with a software RAM disk. The difference isn't worth it, IMO.

The SSD (Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB) should be used only for the operating system. The non-system harddrive should as Spyker says be a 7600 RPM 6GB/s. If you need extensive general storage (anime, right?), go for big and slow, or an old drive you already have.

Include a water cooling system. They're not very expensive now and makes quite the difference in keeping your cool. Less noise, too.

Oh, and one more thing. I've tried Soluto for many months now, and it's actually a good way to maintain your pc. It makes optimization easy even for an amateur, and saves work for a pro.

Finally, buying better means longer time until next upgrade, so skimping isn't the best idea.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2013-04-25 19:12

:shock: *spins around dizzily* Now I remember why I enjoy console and handheld gaming more than PC gaming...

So, the take away messages I seem to be getting from this are:

1) No such thing as too much RAM (though I made this mistake once in the past when 64-bit OS's were just coming out... That was a bloody damn expensive lesson to learn the hard way, though the computer itself wasn't much better either as it pretty much died on me in 2 years.)
2) 660Ti is the preferred card though obviously the higher the number, the better the card (unless it's the Titan which doesn't have a number but I'm not spending over 1 grand for a bloody graphics card... but I digress)
3) Haswell coming out soon-ish though they're only marginally better performance wise and have better onboard graphics which is something of a moot point in the presence of a beefy GPU anyways... I also understand that they're going to use a different pin set so a MOBO for an i5 won't be able to handle a Haswell (or so I heard from other sources... Correct me if I'm wrong).
4) RAMDisk an expensive luxury. It's the first I've ever really heard of it so I'm going to pin it down as such.
5) On the subject of SSD, I'm only to install the OS on it? What about apps and games? Install those on an HDD? But aren't I denying myself the awesome speed of an SSD in that regard?
6) Install Soluto... Never heard of it but okay.
7) Spend more now, reap the benfits longer term? That contradicts the other half of the spectrum I'm hearing that says the 25% more I spend on, say, a better GPU for only a 10% bump in performance would be worse than if I go cost efficient now and then buy something better down the road...

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2013-04-25 20:34

Tavish McFini wrote::shock: *spins around dizzily* Now I remember why I enjoy console and handheld gaming more than PC gaming...
Well, some of us like building our rig almost as much as using it. Sort of like some car enthusiasts.
Tavish McFini wrote:3) Haswell coming out soon-ish though they're only marginally better performance wise and have better onboard graphics which is something of a moot point in the presence of a beefy GPU anyways... I also understand that they're going to use a different pin set so a MOBO for an i5 won't be able to handle a Haswell (or so I heard from other sources... Correct me if I'm wrong).
This is correct.
Tavish McFini wrote:4) RAMDisk an expensive luxury. It's the first I've ever really heard of it so I'm going to pin it down as such.
Hardware one, at least.
Tavish McFini wrote:5) On the subject of SSD, I'm only to install the OS on it? What about apps and games? Install those on an HDD? But aren't I denying myself the awesome speed of an SSD in that regard?
Well, if you're only going to use a portion of the 256 GB SSD, you can certainly install games and programs on it as well. But SSDrives deteriorate like all flash memory, so they have a shorter lifespan (sometimes as short as two years depending on how it is used). The Samsung 840 Pro has been tested for 86 years of use of 10 GB per day.

But, if you also want to make copies on your harddrive from your blu-rays and the like, things that racks up a lot of space, you'd be better off having a mechanical storage drive. With the SSD as system disk, it'll still be fast in what counts.
Tavish McFini wrote:7) Spend more now, reap the benfits longer term? That contradicts the other half of the spectrum I'm hearing that says the 25% more I spend on, say, a better GPU for only a 10% bump in performance would be worse than if I go cost efficient now and then buy something better down the road...
Well, it's not so much a contradiction as a matter how much you want to spend. Cutting edge is usually expensive, so you go for second rate, but the lower rate you go, the benefit is diminishing and eventually reversing since your upgrade cycle shortens as well. The short of it; you find your reasonable balance between cost and performance.

Obviously, if our software never improved, we would never need better hardware to run it on.

You forgot the water cooling system. Get a closed system so you don't have to worry about maintenance, and decide if you want to water cool both the CPU and the GPU or just the CPU.

Ah, and there's the thing that's so obvious that I and Spyker missed it. You need a PSU which delivers enough wattage, and does so reliably. Basically, a 850 Watt PSU can be beaten by a 600 Watt PSU in perfor mance because the latter one delivers a steady 550-580 Watts, while the first one delivers a shaky 450-700 Watts. Because PSUs are like that, there's a certification system where 80 Plus Bronze means it'll deliver more than 80% nominal capacity at 20% load or above. The remaining 20% comes out as heat, so the more expensive your PSU, the more efficient and less heat generating.

General advice for a gaming rig would be to get something rated at least 80 Plus Bronze with at least 600 Watts.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2013-04-26 01:32

Yeah, I actually knew about the PSU already (friend built himself a custom rig recently and, long story short, short changed himself on the PSU by only going 500W when his GPU used 400W alone.) From what I was looking at, I was pretty much going to go 800W which had the 80 bronze going for it (I think it was a Corsair but I think most brands seem to be pretty decent).

I'm not sure I've got the budget to go all out right now, though I just bought a used vehicle so I've set myself back at least 4 months now. So I guess I'm getting way ahead of myself because in 4 months time, all the stuff talked about here will probably be obsolete and I should be looking at 32GB RAM, GTX 680 and intel i14 or whatever they decide to name these new Haswell chips :lol: